Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Opinions on synthetic crystals  (Read 1693 times)

Eevee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Opinions on synthetic crystals
« on: October 31, 2016, 08:08:13 am »
Today out of sheer curiosity, I wondered into a crystal shop (I made sure it was one I never been to before) simply to look around. After browsing the crystals, one REALLY caught my eye. I picked it up and I was like "yes". I wasn't going to even look at the crystal's info leaflet as I believe in seeing the crystal the way I see fit, not how some piece of paper tells me, but I decided to take a look, and it said something like this:
Opalite
Represents change.
Helps relieve panic attacks and depression.
Helps headaches.

Now lately, my life is undergoing the biggest change it's ever been though, causing significantly extra anxiety (to my pre-existing condition) and depression, plus I walked into the shop with a headache, so I was like "huh. that's funny."
So I bought it, and just now I found out Opalite is man-made synthetic glass or even plastic.
While this doesn't affect MY opinions on crystals, I still feel a bit jipped that synthetic crystals are being sold to people who think they're dealing with something a bit more genuine. Everyone has different opinions on crystals, and I'm assuming most pagans wouldn't want to work with something synthetic.

Opinions?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:13:22 am by Eevee »
Naboo: This is black magic. This is hardcore. Don\'t mess with the occult.
Vince Noir: I thought it was good for you.
Naboo: What?
Vince Noir: Well, you know, good for your digestive system.
Naboo: That\'s Yakult!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Opinions on synthetic crystals
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 08:53:18 am »
Quote from: Eevee;198361

While this doesn't affect MY opinions on crystals, I still feel a bit jipped that synthetic crystals are being sold to people who think they're dealing with something a bit more genuine. Everyone has different opinions on crystals, and I'm assuming most pagans wouldn't want to work with something synthetic.

Why wouldn't I want something science made? Science is awesome!

As a matter of fact, I have lab-grown stones - a sapphire and ruby, which I otherwise couldn't afford in the desired size - in my athame, although also natural ones, and I have opalite glass in my priestess crown, along with other materials.

There are a couple of pieces involved for me:

1) Is the thing identified correctly as to origin and material? Misleading people about materials is not cool.

(When we were discussing the priestess crown, the friend who made it for me checked that I was okay with opalite glass, and I said I was as long as it's not the only item, which it isn't. It's also got pearls and synthetic metalic clay in it, so, y'know. Variety.) We both really like the effect of light through the opalite glass, which is a tricky thing to get with a lot of materials.

2) A lot of 'natural' stones are artificially treated for color or texture or shape (not just smoothing, but made into shapes they don't exist in natural crystals.) Sometimes that's dye, sometimes that's heat treating, sometimes it's other processes.

If I'm going to throw a fit about synthetics, I should probably throw a fit about those too. (And I do, depending on the stone and what I want to use it for.)

The GIA has a good page with clear photos about different treatments.

3) Where is the information about the use of the stone coming from? Sources vary hugely, and barring some folklore, there isn't a lot of consistency. I'm dubious about a lot of meanings from stone shops, and tend to prefer doing my own work on this and using stones that are less likely to be altered.

4) Rather than synthetics, I'm actually a lot more concerned about mining practices, for magical and ritual work - a lot of stones are mined in *horrible* working conditions, with really serious implications for the lives of the people who work those mines.

I prefer to buy things where I can find out something about the origins of the stone, know something about where it came from, etc. or to get them from sources I know are careful about their sourcing. (This means I don't buy many stones, mind you.)

P.S. So you know, jipped (and other spellings, like gypped) is a term considered insulting towards people who are Romani or of Romani descent, and there's generally better words to choose that aren't insulting like that. A lot of people don't know the origins of this one.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Eevee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on synthetic crystals
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 09:20:38 am »
Quote from: Jenett;198365
Why wouldn't I want something science made? Science is awesome!

Yep! Hence why I'm personally not bothered by it!

1) Is the thing identified correctly as to origin and material? Misleading people about materials is not cool.

I think so. I mean... it definitely looks like Opalite and the info online is mostly the same as what was on the leaflet.

2) A lot of 'natural' stones are artificially treated for color or texture or shape (not just smoothing, but made into shapes they don't exist in natural crystals.) Sometimes that's dye, sometimes that's heat treating, sometimes it's other processes.
a fit about those too. (And I do, depending on the stone and what I want to use it for.)

Yes, I'm aware stones dont come out looking perfectly sleek, shiny and pigmented. Another example of scientific brilliance!

3) Where is the information about the use of the stone coming from? Sources vary hugely, and barring some folklore, there isn't a lot of consistency. I'm dubious about a lot of meanings from stone shops, and tend to prefer doing my own work on this and using stones that are less likely to be altered.

This is why I initially didn't want to look at the leaflet to begin with. It just happens that the reason I bought the stone was also written on the leaflet. I took it more as a sign instead of concrete information.

4) Rather than synthetics, I'm actually a lot more concerned about mining practices, for magical and ritual work - a lot of stones are mined in *horrible* working conditions, with really serious implications for the lives of the people who work those mines.

Yeah, it is sad. The same can be said for anything made in countries like China, India, Bangladesh (which is like 99% of things here).
Though I know there are mines here where you pay an entry fee and you can dig up your own amethyst and keep it! Although it's not useful for days like today where I make a spontaneous purchase.

P.S. So you know, jipped (and other spellings, like gypped) is a term considered insulting towards people who are Romani or of Romani descent, and there's generally better words to choose that aren't insulting like that. A lot of people don't know the origins of this one.

That's odd. I guess considering the actual spelling, it makes sense.
Naboo: This is black magic. This is hardcore. Don\'t mess with the occult.
Vince Noir: I thought it was good for you.
Naboo: What?
Vince Noir: Well, you know, good for your digestive system.
Naboo: That\'s Yakult!

Tags: