Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: Summoning Mishaps?  (Read 2893 times)

agwith

• View Profile
Summoning Mishaps?
« on: October 30, 2016, 08:44:31 pm »
Hear me out...

A few months ago I did a summoning of my fiance's grandparents. His grandad is dead but neither my fiance or I knew if his grandmother was. I was able to summon his grandad but not his grandmother - which leads me to believe she may still have been alive.

That's not the point, though it is the background of what happened. I cast a circle of protection, I used sage to cleanse. Salt and sage are the main two things I use. My remaining tools are my voice and mind. When I felt it was safe to go on, I summoned. Once I was done, however, I had a lot of trouble closing the circle. It took me about twenty minutes until I was able to, I could feel my mind struggling, it was really annoying because I was able to cast a circle without any difficulty.

I ended up feebly closing it, but I could tell something had slipped through. I felt sick in my stomach instantly, I got a mild headache, and I could feel the atmospheric change. It was very negative, dark, and my gut kept telling me to run away.

However, I made my bed and went to sleep. A little while later I turned over towards my closet, opened my eyes, and saw two white, glowing orbs hovering my closet. They looked like eyes and hovered at about seven feet. There's nothing reflective in my closet and there was no source of light in my room or outside of it. I could feel whatever those eyes belonged to, belonged to what I had let slip through my circle.

The next day my mother told me she had seen dancing swirls of light in her room at the same time I'd done the summoning, which led me to feel guilty for possibly endangering my family. I banished the energy as soon as possible. I'm not sure what it was. All I can think is it was some sort of what people call a demon.

But, I was just wondering if something similar has ever happened to anyone? I've been afraid to do anymore rituals or summonings since. All I've done is cleanse my room every once in a while. I suppose I just felt like I'd failed since then because everything I do nowadays involves cleansing and casting protection circles when I feel it's needed.

And if anyone knows a way to strongly and successfully close a circle - any tips on that, please let me know. I'd like to start up summonings and rituals again.
One of Mother Nature\'s greatest gift is cats. :lub:

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Summoning Mishaps?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 12:02:42 pm »
Quote from: agwith;198347

And if anyone knows a way to strongly and successfully close a circle - any tips on that, please let me know. I'd like to start up summonings and rituals again.

So, there's two pieces here that I can see, one of which is on the surface about terminology, but might help a lot in how you go about doing things, and the other is about summonings and whether you might want to look at such things differently.

Opening and closing and which order they happen in:
You talk about 'closing a circle' when you're done, but the way I was trained, what you're actually doing when you finish ritual is *opening* the circle you made at the beginning. I'm going to break this down more to avoid confusion.

In other words, the steps go:
1) Cast a circle, creating a ritual space suitable for what you want to do.

Usually some combination of one or more of the following: 'clean and prepared space', 'space with necessary elements for your work', 'defined space you can use as a container for magic before releasing it', 'space protected from outside influences and curious entities', 'creating time outside of time, space outside of space', etc.

Generally involves a mix of defining the space - some practices specify this as 'scribing' the circle, rather than casting, cleansing it or banishing unwanted stuff, blessing it or adding wanted stuff, etc.

2) Do the ritual you're doing.

3) Open the circle, by reversing steps that are necessary (thanking beings invited, then opening the circle back up to the normal flow of time and space).

So in this model the thing at the end of the ritual is restoring your connection to the physical world, realigning yourself with what's going on here and now, if you've done magical work, this is where it gets released on the physical plane, etc.

If you've been working from a model where you're doing the opposite - opening yourself to what's around you, without defined boundaries, and closing that up again after, that might explain some of the difficulties you're having.

(Also, in general, in my model, opening the circle is a lot less work and energy than setting it up in the first place, so if you are tired at the end of ritual/can't focus, it's usually a lot easier to manage.

There are even techniques - my trad refers to it as 'skyhooking' - for pulling a circle down deliberately but very rapidly, which can be done in a matter of a minute or two if you get to the end of ritual and have run out of all possible oomph.)

Summoning and other approaches
The other part is - ok, summoning specific people who are dead is not a thing I do in my practice because for me it falls somewhere between 'rude' and 'potentially really risky' and I don't see the point.

My tradition does a fair bit of work with ancestors, not just at Samhain (though especially then) but I was always trained to make it an invitation, not an insistence or summoning, because one of the risks you get when you say "You, here, now." (i.e. a summoning) is that either you don't get the being you intended, or you get them, and they're really annoyed.

If you go at it from "Hey, I'd like to spend time with you, learn a bit from your wisdom, and generally be around", and accept that (like invitations to living humans) sometimes they may show up, sometimes they may not, sometimes you get a different conversation than you were expecting, then there's a lot less possibility of a problem. (Sometimes I will do ancestor invitations with more direct purpose to them, but even then I usually leave a clear out.)

I think that's especially true if you're inviting people you don't know well and don't have much direct connection with (and in this case, don't even know if one of them is dead!) There's a 'what were you hoping to get from this ritual, and is there another way to do that' element here that might be worth looking at more closely.

In general, what I'd suggest is going back and looking at your ritual methods, making sure you know why you're doing each step, what it should accomplish, what might go wrong or weird with it, and then building up again. When I've taught people circle casting, and how I was taught, we've usually done a month or two just banishing unwanted energies from a space, a month or two banishing and blessing (adding wanted energies), a month or two scribing a circle, a month or two calling the guardians of the quarters, and then working up to inviting ancestors, deities, and other beings as relevant. Usually if there's something that's going wonky in your method or your ritual design, breaking it down into that kind of smaller piece will give you a good idea what's up.

For different ritual methods, I like Deborah Lipp's The Elements of Ritual. There's tons of places where I disagree with specifics in that book, but I think she does a fabulous job breaking it down into smaller pieces, talking about how a thing at the start of your ritual method might affect the outcome, how to adapt rituals for different numbers of people or situations. You might find it really helpful for troubleshooting.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Summoning Mishaps?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 12:50:23 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;198385
I was always trained to make it an invitation, not an insistence or summoning, because one of the risks you get when you say "You, here, now." (i.e. a summoning) is that either you don't get the being you intended, or you get them, and they're really annoyed.

I like that.

It reminded me how that sort of negotiability was something I learned from lucid dreaming: As it turned out it was fortunate for me that my mindscape during lucid dreams was so stubborn, and would turn a lucid dream into a nightmare if I were too forceful with manifestation. Everything went along much better when I would give the stuff of the world some acknowledgment as to why it was the way it was, and attempts to transform would then work with that rather than impose something else. That's how I'd come to approach everything else in the Work, though I still call summoning summoning.
Quote from: agwith;198347
I was just wondering if something similar has ever happened to anyone?

It sounds a bit like this blog entry I'd read way back.

Also back when I was a newbie theurgist who thought of gods as spell correspondents, some answered one spell I was doing with this odd sort of amused displeasure, which freaked me out so much that I never did that sort of thing again...though, it didn't leave me averse to the next generation of newbie theurgists learning the hard way to not do that too. Most things we mere mortals learn the hard way, and the gods sure can take care of themselves.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 205
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal