Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Longing for the life of a religious  (Read 3533 times)

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
Longing for the life of a religious
« on: October 29, 2016, 07:36:18 pm »
I'm torn between staying where I am religiously and my intense desire to live the life of a monastic/religious. I pretty much have a standing offer from a traditionalist Catholic order in California; and there are days when I deeply regret not taking it. Is there any way to live out a monastic/religious vocation in a pagan context, or am I condemned to Christianity if I feel that desire so urgently?
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Longing for the life of a religious
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 07:39:17 pm »
Quote from: Castus;198281
I'm torn between staying where I am religiously and my intense desire to live the life of a monastic/religious. I pretty much have a standing offer from a traditionalist Catholic order in California; and there are days when I deeply regret not taking it. Is there any way to live out a monastic/religious vocation in a pagan context, or am I condemned to Christianity if I feel that desire so urgently?
There are pagan monastic groups in existence. I stumbled across a FB group for one just the other day.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Contemplative/Christian/Eclectic
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 05:29:10 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;198282
There are pagan monastic groups in existence. I stumbled across a FB group for one just the other day.

This intrigued me (I've just finished watching a BBC docco called "The Monastery" which I thoroughly enjoyed) so I looked up pagan monasticism and got the following links which might be a place to start some research, Castus. I can't say what these groups are like, however, because I did not know until Redfaery's post that pagan monasticism existed.

http://artmonastery.org/pagan-monasticism-links

And there was a thread earlier this year on TC: http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?12830-Pagan-Monasticism

http://www.paganbookofhours.org/horae/monasticfaq.html - I see on the earlier thread on TC that you already know about this group... Did you look into them? What did you think?

Hope this is of some help.
What you seek is seeking you. - Rumi

The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. - CG Jung

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 05:11:33 pm »

I've got people really pressuring me to become an Anglican monk, and I am not interested, though at times I feel the same conflict.

I am more interested in third orders, living under a rule in the world, though if I can discipline myself I am more likely to live out my own self-imposed prayer life since I adapt everything I pray and do not feel satisfied without incorporating my own rituals and beliefs into how I pray at home.

I don't have links for you unfortunately, but I've come across modern Gnostics that write their own Rules and live a prayerful simplified life at home as part of the Apostolic Johannite Church and came across one online polytheist who simplified her life to do the same thing in a Reconstructionist context.

It might be worth considering if you continue living in the world.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 06:34:53 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;198405
I've got people really pressuring me to become an Anglican monk,

Huh, I did not know that was a thing.

I don't have links for you unfortunately, but I've come across modern Gnostics that write their own Rules and live a prayerful simplified life at home as part of the Apostolic Johannite Church and came across one online polytheist who simplified her life to do the same thing in a Reconstructionist context.

This is also intriguing.

To Castus: the monastic traditions of Buddhism might be worth a look, whether or not Buddhism itself is of any interest to you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 07:46:36 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;198411
Huh, I did not know that was a thing.

This is also intriguing.

To Castus: the monastic traditions of Buddhism might be worth a look, whether or not Buddhism itself is of any interest to you.

https://medium.com/black-stone-hermitage/my-polytheism-contemplative-solitary-monastic-practice-902b29ca665f#.rdexppkbd

That may be what I was thinking of.
My personal moral code:

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 10:44:28 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;198420
https://medium.com/black-stone-hermitage/my-polytheism-contemplative-solitary-monastic-practice-902b29ca665f#.rdexppkbd

That may be what I was thinking of.

Yeah, there's a FB group for Pagan and Polytheist Monasticism. The author of that blog started the group back in September. It's already gathered over a hundred members, and the discussions have been very good. Perhaps you could find some direction there, Castus. Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1268425306543654/?ref=bookmarks
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 10:53:07 pm by Nic an Dair »

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 11:01:33 pm »
Quote from: Nic an Dair;198433
Yeah, there's a FB group for Pagan and Polytheist Monasticism. The author of that blog started the group back in September. It's already gathered over a hundred members, and the discussions have been very good. Perhaps you could find some direction there, Castus. Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1268425306543654/?ref=bookmarks

Oh, I remembered this book that I finished reading recently. It's a good introduction on devotional polytheism, with regard to prayers, prayer beads, offerings, and shrines. It presents it in a manageable fashion, it's a rather quick read but very informative. The author regularly reinforces the "why" of personal devotion to one's deities.

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 11:40:28 pm »
Quote from: Nic an Dair;198434
Oh, I remembered this book that I finished reading recently. It's a good introduction on devotional polytheism, with regard to prayers, prayer beads, offerings, and shrines. It presents it in a manageable fashion, it's a rather quick read but very informative. The author regularly reinforces the "why" of personal devotion to one's deities.

:o Sorry, I forgot to add in the link to the book. https://www.amazon.com/One-Heart-Many-Gods-Devotional-ebook/dp/B01JZQWMZA

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 07:13:05 pm »

I can relate, I've had similar urges. I'm drawn to Benedictine life, but I've even talked to the head of vocations at a Dominican order, and now my friend's Franciscan brothers are sending me Facebook messages to talk about discernment. If you feel the vocation, many Christian orders are happy to take people, but it may not be what you're looking for. If I remember correctly, you are in your late teens, and not that this is too young to know what you want, but it still might help waiting a few years to discern and be completely sure joining a monastic order is what you want to do. It's a big commitment, like getting married, you want to make sure you are at the point in your life where you want to settle on something long-term.

Pagan monastics don't strike me as being quite the same experience. They probably don't have the resources to be self-sustaining, so being a pagan "monk" consists of following whatever Rule the order observes on your own, out of the context of directly being in the community, and with the added stresses of regular mundane living.

Quote from: EclecticWheel;198405
I've got people really pressuring me to become an Anglican monk, and I am not interested, though at times I feel the same conflict.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Society of St John the Evangelist in Cambridge, MA. It's an Anglican monastery, and it's supposed to be beautiful, and I've heard the brothers are wonderful. Maybe it's a good option for Castus, as Anglicans tend to be a bit more mild and flexible than the Romans, not to mention have nicer liturgy and music.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 08:30:05 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;198718
I can relate, I've had similar urges. I'm drawn to Benedictine life, but I've even talked to the head of vocations at a Dominican order, and now my friend's Franciscan brothers are sending me Facebook messages to talk about discernment. If you feel the vocation, many Christian orders are happy to take people, but it may not be what you're looking for. If I remember correctly, you are in your late teens, and not that this is too young to know what you want, but it still might help waiting a few years to discern and be completely sure joining a monastic order is what you want to do. It's a big commitment, like getting married, you want to make sure you are at the point in your life where you want to settle on something long-term.

Pagan monastics don't strike me as being quite the same experience. They probably don't have the resources to be self-sustaining, so being a pagan "monk" consists of following whatever Rule the order observes on your own, out of the context of directly being in the community, and with the added stresses of regular mundane living.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Society of St John the Evangelist in Cambridge, MA. It's an Anglican monastery, and it's supposed to be beautiful, and I've heard the brothers are wonderful. Maybe it's a good option for Castus, as Anglicans tend to be a bit more mild and flexible than the Romans, not to mention have nicer liturgy and music.

Pagan monasticism is more similar to being an Oblate or Tertiary of a Third Order, IMO, and isn't a bad option. As I've mentioned, I have a standing offer from a traditionalist Catholic order and I've been heavily considering taking them up on the offer. I just feel so torn.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 10:34:54 am »
Quote from: Castus;198728
Pagan monasticism is more similar to being an Oblate or Tertiary of a Third Order, IMO, and isn't a bad option. As I've mentioned, I have a standing offer from a traditionalist Catholic order and I've been heavily considering taking them up on the offer. I just feel so torn.

A big part of why I feel less inclined to it despite the attraction is that I am sure my less conventional spiritual devotions would be restricted or impossible to perform.

Also, I am still working out ways to rearrange and reform the Daily Office to resonate better with my beliefs, and I am uncomfortable with some of the teachings the lectionary reflects, especially in regard to Judaism.

Perhaps in a group I could be more patient and accept change is slow.  The ECUSA has officially resolved to address my concerns in our liturgies, and monastic Anglicans tend to create our own breviaries.  I could in such a context make my dissent and concern known.

But I don't know that I could abandon what could be much of my personal ritual.  Your concern is probably similar to this one.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 10:40:02 am by EclecticWheel »
My personal moral code:

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 03:27:20 pm »
Quote from: Castus;198728
I just feel so torn.

Fair enough. No need to rush, just give yourself time to figure things out. Maybe make a list of what attracts you to religious life versus what doesn't, and see if that helps clarify anything.

Quote from: EclecticWheel;198753
Also, I am still working out ways to rearrange and reform the Daily Office to resonate better with my beliefs.

:eek: You heretical Episcopalians, how dare you reform or change the holy 1662 Book of Common Prayer in any way?

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 05:17:45 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;198765

:eek: You heretical Episcopalians, how dare you reform or change the holy 1662 Book of Common Prayer in any way?

Indeed.  For what it's worth for any ritual based around Christian symbols and deities I never draw from modern liturgies. :)
My personal moral code:

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 09:23:49 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;198768
Indeed.  For what it's worth for any ritual based around Christian symbols and deities I never draw from modern liturgies. :)

I still use the Prayer Book offices once in a while, even though I've technically left the Anglican Church. I love the BCP, and I figure the offices are acceptable, as they are really just condensed versions of the medieval Catholic monastic offices anyway. The Canadian BCP actually has a Compline service, but I find it a bit redundant, as Evensong is a fusion of Vespers and Compline already. As much as I like the Nunc Dimittis, there's no need to say it twice in one evening.

Tags: