Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Signs of the season  (Read 2906 times)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Signs of the season
« on: October 29, 2016, 01:22:20 pm »
Other threads have touched on this one, but I had a thing at work that made me wonder: what do other people notice at this time of year?

Many people talk about the veil thinning, for example, or different behaviour of animals that's out of the ordinary. Do you notice things that are different? What are they?

(My own in the next reply.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
Re: Signs of the season
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 01:39:35 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;198270

Many people talk about the veil thinning, for example, or different behaviour of animals that's out of the ordinary. Do you notice things that are different? What are they?

So, my usual pre-Samhain thing is time slippage in greater amounts than usual (that "Last time I looked at the clock it was 4pm and now it's after 7, how'd that happen?" kind of thing) where usually I'm a lot more aware when that happens. It's been a consistent thing for me in the last couple of weeks of October for about 15 years now, and resolves sometime in the first or second week of November.

But the new one this year was at work. I'm a librarian, and a small part of my job involves dealing with questions about former students at the school my library is attached to (We get 50 to 60 reference questions a month, and on average, maybe 1-2 a month is about this, to give a proportion.)

Last week, we had *4* questions about this (in this case all grandchildren or an equivalent generation) and I sort of blinking at it, and mentioned it to someone, who went "Well, it is that time of year." which is what I was thinking too.

(We do keep stats, but I was only 6 months into the job last October, and we've updated how we keep some stats since then so it's a little hard to do past comparisons.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 04:50:04 pm »
Do you notice things that are different? What are they?

I live in a place with four distinct seasons, but the changes this time of year are the ones that usually capture my attention.  There are the usual mundane seasonal changes - the way the air smells, the rustle of leaves, and the shifting slant of sunlight.  Also, there's a marked increase in both the number and activity of corvids in this area due to migrations.  It's not officially fall until the morning birdsong includes a robust chorus of cawing.

The wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff happens to me as well.  My internal timekeeping goes haywire making it hard to gauge the passage of time.  I have a theory that this is more to do with the shortening amounts of sunlight than anything mystical or spiritual.  Also, it's a time of year when I tend to do multiple projects that really engage my attention and when I get working on those, there's a sense of stepping outside of the normal flow of time.

My surest sign of Samhain approaching is a heightened awareness and sensitivity to smells.  My sense of smell is almost non-existent most of the year, but tends to go into overdrive in October.  For example, going to the local farm for apples leaves my head swimming because the smells are so heady.  Other times of the year, visits to the same farm leave no olfactory impression at all.

This time of year phantom smells can be equally intense, particularly those that are associated with loved ones who have died. It's not unusual this time of year to wake up to the smells of my grandmother's coffee and her orange blossom perfume, even though she's been gone for 30 years.  Or to catch a whiff of my father's cherry pipe tobacco if I step outside between 9 to 10 at night, which is the time he'd usually go out for a last smoke of the evening and to do a bit of star gazing.  In thinking about other instances, I've come to realize that the smells are always ones that are associated with pleasant memories of these folks.  I may have to give that one a bit more thought.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Signs of the season
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 06:02:28 pm »
Other threads have touched on this one, but I had a thing at work that made me wonder: what do other people notice at this time of year?

I don't honestly have much awareness of a shifting or a thinning of the veil or similar - I'm more the 'act as if it is so' type than the 'mystical experience' type, when it comes to specific times of year. I totally believe that the Good Folk are on the move, in particular, and that generally spirits are more active - but I don't particularly feel it. I just make the offerings and do the stuff, and let it be so. One exception is that sometimes the landscape can feel a bit... spooky. Even out here in the middle of the city. But mostly, not really.

That said, my personal experience of this season involves things getting really chaotic in my life leading up to November, especially  in the few years since I dedicated myself to Cailleach Bhearra (who is traditionally reborn in November). Then everything going very quiet until Midwinter or thereabouts. I would say that this year has been a strong example of this... except that I suspect I think this every year. :P
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 03:28:35 pm »

I'm a highly mystical, woo prone person, but Autumn and the Samhain season in particular don't hold any specific spiritual significance for me. They're more about family and grounding back into the mundane in a sort of general way.

I'm not sure what's meant when people talk about the thinning of the veil, so I can't say if it happens to me or not.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 08:30:23 pm »

This year in particular I've noticed I've been having a lot of very vivid dreams all last month and the beginning of this month, especially about people/beings who are no longer in my life whether because they've passed on or I've cut them out. It's been unsettling, to say the least.

I don't know if I've had these sorts of dreams in past years; if I have, I haven't noticed in particular that they ramp up around this time.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 05:52:52 pm »

Here's one that's probably unusual: at work I sit by a north-facing window. To the east of my building is a condo tower that, for a couple of weeks each spring and fall, reflects the evening sun right in my eyes. :p

Other than that ... the scent of cold air is what says to me that the season has changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 10:08:19 am »

I am so happy I found paganism, because the veil thinning for me is definitely a thing-for both the living and the dead.

For example, I found my great grandmother's grave this year. (I remember going there once when I was four, so I knew the likelihood of my finding it would be intuitive rather than from memory.)

In terms of the living, I have people from my past pop up to say hello at this time of year. Running into my ex's mom or an old friend from college who needs advice. That kind of thing doesn't happen in the summer, so I'm putting it down to the season.

I always feel more connected at this time of year, too, and usually I get an inkling of what the rest of the year will hold. I've been pretty accurate so far, last year eerily so. I don't use any particular divination method for this, and I'm a bit wary of trying now. If it ain't broke why fix it sort of thing.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Tags: