Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Celtic Resources  (Read 5551 times)

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Celtic Resources
« on: October 28, 2016, 03:32:24 am »
Does anyone know any good books or resources on Celtic religion and practices, especially in a modern context? Im not educated in the area, but looking to learn more about Celtic myth, religion and neopaganism following the Celtic gods.

Thanks all, blessed be :)

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Re: Celtic Resources
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 04:27:51 am »
Quote from: Nymree;198185
Does anyone know any good books or resources on Celtic religion and practices, especially in a modern context? Im not educated in the area, but looking to learn more about Celtic myth, religion and neopaganism following the Celtic gods.

Celtic Mythology by Proinsias MacCana is a great introduction to Celtic Mythology, and God's. It's an older book, but the information is great.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 09:34:30 am »

The Celtic Recon FAQ:  http://www.paganachd.com/faq/
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft/Gaelic polytheist
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 03:11:27 pm »

"Celtic Gods and Heroes" by Marie-Louise Sjoestedt

Quick and easy read.

If you want an Irish flavor I enjoy Morgan Daimler's books, I think she has a realistic modern take on a traditional path. I think that should get you started!
"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people."

- W.B. Yeats

HedgeAndCave

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/478745533/bone-knifeathame?ref=shop_home_active_1
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:18:45 am »

I would think that "The Tain" by Thomas Kinsella and/or "Early Irish Myths and Sagas" in Penguin Classics should be on your list, The Mabinogion too - certainly not "neo" but essential nevertheless.

Anything on The Mythological Cyle and The Fianna as well.

Heck, you could even delve into the "Slaine" comic/graphic novels too.

All great introductions in different ways.

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 01:22:55 pm »
Quote from: MamaThistle;198198
"Celtic Gods and Heroes" by Marie-Louise Sjoestedt

Quick and easy read.

If you want an Irish flavor I enjoy Morgan Daimler's books, I think she has a realistic modern take on a traditional path. I think that should get you started!

I second the Morgan Daimler books. They are short, but very informative.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 06:07:17 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;198196
The Celtic Recon FAQ:  http://www.paganachd.com/faq/

So I checked the link out and it looks pretty darn good to me! OP, I would definitely check out the "what do you mean by Celtic" section on it, because it's an oft-debated term and the Celts were certainly not a monolith with only one mythology and/or pantheon.

If you want a quick link to it, here: http://www.paganachd.com/faq/whatiscr.html#whatisceltic

(this site looks like fun! time to get lost for an hour XD)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Beryl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 05:44:33 pm »
Quote from: HedgeAndCave;199196
I would think that "The Tain" by Thomas Kinsella and/or "Early Irish Myths and Sagas" in Penguin Classics should be on your list, The Mabinogion too - certainly not "neo" but essential nevertheless.

I'm really enjoying the Sioned Davies translation of the Mabinogion (specifically the rather lovely hardcover edition, though I'm not 100% sure it's an unabridged version - seems a lot thinner than my old copy was and the Amazon listing did say 'book 1', though I think that was an error), having tried to read the translation that was generally available in my teens (back in the 90s) and given up as the writing was so dry. I'm also awaiting a copy of Kinsella's translation (I think it's a translation rather than a retelling?) of The Táin.

In terms of books that are more, like, an overview, with some 'hands on' stuff to do, as well as Morgan Daimler's books (which have an Irish focus, I believe - I'm halfway through her book on the Morrigan, short but quite dense) I'm enjoying Kristoffer Hughes' The Book of Celtic Magic and From the Cauldron Born - both have a specifically Welsh focus which is relevant to my interests. I've also downloaded Lora O'Brien's Practical Guide to Irish Spirituality on the kindle which, if it's anything like her blog and guided meditation/Journey recordings, I'm very much looking forward to.

Unfortunately, I haven't found much in the way of books I'd really recommend on either Scottish, Cornish, Breton or Manx culture/religion/etc, whether mythology or more practical. (Well, there's some books available on 'Cornish witchcraft' but from what I know of them they're not based in pre-Christian mythology type stuff, they're based in later folk magic which was generally practiced by people who were at least to some degree Christian? Though of course then you get into 'well, if it's being practiced by a Celtic people, it's Celtic religion, right?' type questions, but I'm guessing you're not after Celtic Christianity/Christian-influenced stuff.)

HedgeAndCave

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/478745533/bone-knifeathame?ref=shop_home_active_1
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 06:23:26 am »
Quote from: Beryl;199225
I'm really enjoying the Sioned Davies translation of the Mabinogion (specifically the rather lovely hardcover edition, though I'm not 100% sure it's an unabridged version - seems a lot thinner than my old copy was and the Amazon listing did say 'book 1', though I think that was an error), having tried to read the translation that was generally available in my teens (back in the 90s) and given up as the writing was so dry. I'm also awaiting a copy of Kinsella's translation (I think it's a translation rather than a retelling?) of The Táin.

In terms of books that are more, like, an overview, with some 'hands on' stuff to do, as well as Morgan Daimler's books (which have an Irish focus, I believe - I'm halfway through her book on the Morrigan, short but quite dense) I'm enjoying Kristoffer Hughes' The Book of Celtic Magic and From the Cauldron Born - both have a specifically Welsh focus which is relevant to my interests. I've also downloaded Lora O'Brien's Practical Guide to Irish Spirituality on the kindle which, if it's anything like her blog and guided meditation/Journey recordings, I'm very much looking forward to.

Unfortunately, I haven't found much in the way of books I'd really recommend on either Scottish, Cornish, Breton or Manx culture/religion/etc, whether mythology or more practical. (Well, there's some books available on 'Cornish witchcraft' but from what I know of them they're not based in pre-Christian mythology type stuff, they're based in later folk magic which was generally practiced by people who were at least to some degree Christian? Though of course then you get into 'well, if it's being practiced by a Celtic people, it's Celtic religion, right?' type questions, but I'm guessing you're not after Celtic Christianity/Christian-influenced stuff.)

As someone who is probably more an animist my interest tends to be outside of the magic/ritual areas so i can't offer much advice in that sphere, but if you are interested in books that contain traces of the old ways via "folky" stuff like charms and songs, "The Carmina Gadelica" is quite fascinating - much via the filter of christianity but ofc you can see a lot of the "old" in there and very much of interest for those who can read between the lines.

Kinsella's Tain is a retelling, but a very good one imo - if you want translations from manuscripts and so forth, penguin's "Early Irish myths and sagas" is a goody.

Everyman classics have (or had) a very good version of the Mabinogion.. trans by Gwyn and Thomas Jones, runs to about 230 pages.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 06:22:28 pm »
Quote from: Beryl;199225

The Sioned Davies translation is probably the best to date  - Charlotte Guest's version captured the poetry of the original Welsh but her translation rather sanitised it! Later translations are much more accurate but as you have already commented rather dry - the poetry of the tales takes second place to accuracy. Professor Davies' has managed to strike the best balance so far.

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 06:14:20 am »
Does anyone know any good books or resources on Celtic religion

Hey everyone,

Sorry I've taken so long to reply - I wasn't expecting so many responses! Thanks everyone, this is really helpful and I'm now compiling a reading / research list. Can't wait to lose a few months to these. Thanks for the help everybody! Your support has been amazing.

Blessed Be,

- Nymree

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 01:36:50 pm »

The Celtic Recon FAQ:  http://www.paganachd.com/faq/

I have been looking for Celtic Pagan Resources and found this Thread. So the Celtic Recon FAQ looks like a good Resource, a lot of stuff in one place. I will be looking it over.

Tags: