Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Celtic Wisdom Oracle  (Read 2119 times)

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft/Gaelic polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Celtic Wisdom Oracle
« on: October 26, 2016, 07:07:12 pm »
Hey guys,

So I got this deck a couple years ago from my mom. It's Celtic Wisdom Oracle by Caitlin Matthews. I have been trying to practice more lately by drawing a card a day, I haven't used it in a while.

I drew The Keeper today and it comes with a guide but my toddler apparently ripped out that page. I don't have any lore reference or anything. The card is of an old woman wearing a cloak. I tried to look online but no luck. I was wondering if anyone had the deck and could help me figure out what I'm looking at. :)
"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people."

- W.B. Yeats

Darastrix

• View Profile
Re: Celtic Wisdom Oracle
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 09:21:55 pm »
Quote from: MamaThistle;198119

I drew The Keeper today and it comes with a guide but my toddler apparently ripped out that page. I don't have any lore reference or anything. The card is of an old woman wearing a cloak. I tried to look online but no luck. I was wondering if anyone had the deck and could help me figure out what I'm looking at. :)

I'm not familiar with that deck, but I did find a review of it on Aeclectic Tarot.  According to the review, the Keeper is the #4 card of the deck's Major Arcana, which is The Emperor in more traditional decks.  Now, whether The Keeper is intended to correspond to the Emperor in meaning, I'm not sure, since though the review says "The definitions for the cards are rather along the traditional (Waite) line, but that is sometimes not evident from the cards themselves," it's in a paragraph where the reviewer mentions the minor arcana.

But assuming that the Keeper = The Emperor, here are some ideas.

With the Emperor as the querent (i.e. you), it can mean to take a look at yourself and aspects of your life and recognise who's really in charge of it.  Are you the ruler of your life, your body, the things you have responsibility over in your job or hobby, etc?  Are you actively "ruling" these aspects of your life, or have you ceded or been robbed of autonomy in some areas?  Here, this card reminds you that you are ultimately in charge of these things and you have permission to be aggressive and firm regarding the areas that are supposed to be under your command (something that some women may sometimes have trouble with, since in many areas, there's a double standard where when a man does something, he's acting like a boss or in control, but a woman in the same position trying to assert her authority over something she's supposed to have authority of is often dismissed as being 'bitchy' or 'nagging.')

Relatedly, it can also be a poke at the querent to look at their 'kingdom' and see if they're ruling wisely or if they even still want the responsibility or if they want to hand the crown to someone else.  Are you burned out on this responsibility? Are you becoming a tyrant? Is there someone who might be better-suited to it? Do you need to loosen the reins a bit?

If it's not referring to you specifically, it could instead indicate someone in your life or that you're close to who might be a boss, manager, club leader, father figure (though it doesn't have to be a male person, made more obvious by the Keeper card in your deck being female instead).

And of course, this deck has its own symbols and associated mythology rather than the Rider Waite decks that I'm more familiar with, so as always, YMMV.

Tags: