Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: What is your religion/spiritual identity?  (Read 22277 times)

shadowsiren

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Polytheist with a dash of religious witchcraft / Always learning
Re: What is your religion/spiritual identity?
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2016, 02:26:35 pm »
Quote from: Eevee;198076
Since I've been coming to this forum, I always glance at what people put as their "religion" and 90% of them I've never heard of.

So what is your religion? What does it mean? How did you stumble upon it?

I believe I have "eclectic polytheist/searching" listed as mine...

Eclectic because when I finally woke up and admitted to myself that I was pagan I knew that this would kind of be a given. In fact, it was the only direction I had when I plopped myself into the middle of all this and went "Well, now what?". After a lifetime spent in a religion that taught that it was the only true, possible way/path  - and the lifetime of trying to fit into its requirements and expectations and practices that goes along with that - I knew that I would never be able to just be one belief, one practice again. I need that breathing room. I need the ability to pick and choose the things and deities that work with me, that feed me and make me grow. My one hard and fast rule is "if it doesn't make my soul sing, toss it and try something else".

Polytheist
because, for me, it was (after some rather brief thought) and easy definition to apply to myself to help narrow things down. I am a moderate-hard polytheist. Hard in that I generally believe and assume that all deities are distinct and separate individuals. Moderate in that I accept that there is no doubt some crossover somewhere, where one god/goddess is known by different names to different cultures. Nor do I discount the possibility that all deities spring from the same source, whatever that might be.

Searching because, despite having given respectful nods to various aspects of paganism for 15 years, I have only officially identified as pagan since July of this year. I am very much in the beginning of my journey. Though, now that I am thinking about it I suppose that "refining" might be a better word choice than "searching".

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: he, him, his
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2016, 07:02:51 am »
Since I've been coming to this forum, I always glance at what people put as their "religion" and 90% of them I've never heard of.

I was drawn to Gaelic Polytheism for many reasons some of which include the respect and adoration of the natural world, the focus on honoring my ancestors, following a path I believe at least some of my ancestors followed, viewing the world as three distinct but somewhat overlapping realms of land, sea and sky and the concept of the Otherworld being in simultaneous existence all around us tied into my paranormal beliefs. I'm still learning the finer details but so far it feels right for me.

To me it helps explain the mysteries of life and existence, what happens to us when we die; that is the soul carries on existing. Polytheism also helps answer the questions which I could not when it comes to creation. As an Atheist I could not answer these.

The Cauldron, among other online sources of information, helped me find this path. Previously I imagined that the old ways were out of reach and consigned to history.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2016, 09:09:21 pm »

So I"m another who went back and revised mine before I responded, because things have changed a bit since I last edited my religion field.

Hem-Netjer: Egyptian term that means servant of a god, it's the term I agreed upon with Sobek when I accepted His calling to become His priest. Before that, I just called myself a devotee. To me, it denotes my relationship to Sobek, and what's expected of me in terms of devotional and ritual work for Him.

Witch: probably the newest term, since I've taken up witchcraft again, thanks to excessive prodding from Hekate. I don't know what sort of religious witchcraft I'm building, but I'm going back through some Wiccish study books, and looking at the craft of it in more detail than I was willing to deal with when I was 16. It's become a Hekate-Sobek witchcraft thing, but what comes out of that, I don't know. Mostly, right now, I am trying a lot of different things to see what works, and ignoring anything that mentions chakras (because I can't be bothered with chakras, they have nothing to do with anything I'm remotely interested in).

Polytheist: I am a polytheist, and mostly approach the gods as distinct beings, except when they aren't. I'm neither hard nor soft, because I don't find that a useful distinction to make when it comes to trying to classify my experiences of the gods.

Scribe: It was Sobek who first got me writing about Him, though it took a long time before I was willing to accept that I was His scribe, and not just someone who wrote stuff about gods. I also write for Hermes and Hekate.

Kemetic Monastic: I'm doing that thing where I'm not at all drawn to the formal state temple rites because who has the time or space to devote to that not me. But since I do act as a priest, I feel like I can't just go back to lay devotion. So this is my fledgling attempt to create a devotional monastic contemplative practice around Sobek and the gods of Shedet in a way that blends the two, lay and priestly practice. I've always had an interest in monasticism, but this is the first time I've really begun looking seriously at what I could build for myself to practice.

Druid-In-Training (ADF): I'm a member of Ar nDriaocht Fein (ADF), and working my way through the Dedicant's Program. I'm about 2/3 the way through, and since I'm still learning about it, I don't feel like I can really call myself a druid yet, particularly because of where my path is now going. I'm trying to work out how to fit it into everything else without compromising anything.

But, of course, things are still in flux right now and I have no idea what things might look like a year from now, so. But that's where I am right now in terms of what's in my religion field.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

njsquarebear

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2016, 09:45:56 am »

At present I neither believe in or practice any particular religion.  Since my youth I'd always had an on-again, off-again interest in paganism and wicca (which I always viewed in a positive light), even though I grew up and was fairly comfortable in my mainstream (Dutch Reformed) Christian church.  To make a long story short, over the past 3 years, I've pretty much (98%) abandoned contemporary Christianity (certainly that which is now practiced in much of the U.S. and other parts of the world - that is, beliefs and practices which are rooted in hatred, discrimination and violence, done under the cover of being a 'faithful' Christian)

I still try to be as faithful follower of Jesus as I am able to from day-to-day, more-or-less.  I have on rare occasions seen Jesus (literally, I believe) in a few others - women and men - I've met... as well as (I believe) the god Cernunnos in 2 or 3 particular men.  Not sure if I see Jesus/Cernunnos as distinct gods or two (visible to me) facets of one entity.

I am on Druid's path.  While reading/learning/exploring/practicing as much as I am able, I'm not sure at present whether I see this path(s) leading to Druidism as a religion... or one of just learning and practice.  In general, I have a love of, and interest in, all things pagan.  If I identified as a witch (which I don't) I'm sure I'd want to be involved in the 'Reclaiming' tradition which I have great respect for.

I belong to one of the most progressive, social-justice United Church of Christ congregations in the U.S.  Social justice activism is innately tied to my spiritual beliefs... that said, spiritually I'm much more drawn to the eclectic beliefs/spiritualities of the Unitarian-Universalists, so I usually tell folk I'm UU and/or "on a Druid's path" (if I have the time to explain myself more fully! LOL)
peace,
Brian (njsquarebear)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2016, 05:09:13 pm »

I was fortunate enough to be raised in a Southern Baptist congregation, and what I was introduced to by the accident of birth is now my religion of choice. I still participate in a very conservative, even fundamentalist Baptist church even though my personal convictions would no longer be considered fundamentalist by most fundamentalists. But that's fine; one of the Baptist distinctives is the principle of soul competency in religion - - that is, that every individual believer has the ultimate responsibility for their own words and actions and that, conversely, they have the authority to approach God directly without need of any formal hierarchy or other intermediary. When you do, you are likely to find that the God of the Bible is a much different personality than generally pictured...forceful and decisive, yes, but actually quite friendly and even rather shy. Just don't make Him mad....

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh Bríd
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2016, 08:16:40 pm »

...I'm still not sure :/ But I'll find out one day.
I talk to plants.

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 02:08:26 pm »

I am a Heathen, which means I honor Germanic gods in a manner befitting the spirit (if not always the letter) of historical Germanic polytheism.

But I also have a foot in the modern occult, and am involved in at least one modern occult organization.

Goddess_Ashtara

• Journeyman
  • DINGIR NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Nexion 3127
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 07:52:44 am »

At this point in time, I simply refer to it as "my spiritual-religious system".  It is just something that has naturally evolved over the course of my thoughts, choices and experiences in life.  I do think, however, that because I have lived in the desert all my life (the Sonoran and Mojave, mostly), that the culture and pantheons of certain spiritual-religious systems originating in the desert (especially the Mesopotamian and Abrahamic pantheons) have carried far more meaning for me than the spiritual-religious systems that originated elsewhere.

I think the moment I realized that I had begun forming my own spiritual-religious system, I was sitting on top of a mountain in Phoenix during a lightning storm at night, looking down at that beautiful desert city... contemplating my life, imagining the future, reflecting on my greatest goals and ambitions.  There was all kinds of wind and lightning, and hint of rain in the air, and I had never felt more alive and at peace at the same time.
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨
NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 06:04:57 pm »

I have 'Irish Polytheism/Witchcraft/Druidry as mine currently.

Irish Polytheism: Well my devotion focus deity-wise is almost exclusively Irish/Gaelic deities and I live in Ireland, so that's fairly self-explanatory. I also tend a flame to Brighid as part of the Cauldron Cill and she is becoming more important in my practice so I might have to add 'Brighidine flame-tender' or something like that at some point :)

Witchcraft: I do practice witchcraft also and have taken part in many rituals with other witches for many years. I started out my pagan journey with witchcraft.

Druidry: Still working this one out. I have used the term to describe myself on occasion and it matches well with my polytheistic practice. I'm working through the OBOD Bardic grade at the moment also, but I think ADF and similar groups might be a better match. I do like to explore though, so hence the OBOD. :)

I also have a deep interest in Buddhism.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:06:16 pm by Oíche »
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

vickersvimy

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 04:32:15 pm »

I'm a Hellenic Polytheist/Reconstructionist. I worship the Olympians and other Hellenic gods and goddesses in as correct a manner as I can :)

Golias

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2017, 06:30:31 pm »

The difference between me and other Pagans is that I am a materialist--I regard deities and magical practices as metaphorical, not literal.

I am not anti theist; I respect the right of others to believe as they see fit and respect any religious tradition as long as it is not harmful to other people.

I prefer to focus on what we all have in common rather than what divides us.

Ghostmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 01:27:34 am »

I just identify as "Religious Witchcraft" now. Basically, it just means that I practice a religious form of witchcraft in my daily life. I didn't really stumble on it, it's just how things have evolved in the last almost 30 years.

I started with initiatory Wicca in 1990, back before the internet, when it was only books (precious few), word of mouth and new age shops. That lasted about 4 years, total. Then I was solitary eclectic Wiccan for 8 years, most of it still before a lot of internet exposure. After that, my practice had more or less evolved into the beginning of what I do now. There isn't really a way to compare it to anything, it's inspired by, and based on, everything I have learned in the last 27 years. Some of it Wiccan, some of it reconstructionist, some of it completely self-made. So, there really isn't a label for it, other than "religious witchcraft".

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 01:29:33 pm »

Wicca, and Gaelic Polytheism.

I list two as I'm a Traditional (BTW), Wiccan of the Alexandrian Tradition that's an initiatory priesthood.  Outside of circle, in my personal practise, I'm a Gaelic Polytheist adhering to the Irish Gods and traditions of where I live...

I suppose I could just generally say 'pagan' which covers all of that, but I think specifics help on an interfaith forum :D:
Semper Fidelis

LunarRainbow

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2017, 01:42:00 am »

I'm an animist.

To me, animism is a state of seeing everything in the world as having a spiritual existence, to its physical existence. So pretty much like two sides of the same coin. There's different, innumerable Gods that exist within everything in the universe. All the Gods exist in everything, and form the existence of other Gods. For example, each individual tree has a Spirit, but together, in an area they form the Spirit of a Forest, and then even further they form the Spirit of Trees in general.

I stumbled upon it a long time ago. It was probably my first introduction to Paganism. For a long time I was a practitioner of Shinto (a ritualistic form of Animism), but over time I found myself to be not able to connect as well as I would like with the rituals, and over time moved away from the ritualistic variety into just a general and more personal form of Animism.

I'm still trying to work out certain elements of my faith, but I am slowly but surely putting together everything piece by piece, and I must say that I'm quite happy with where I am spiritually.

Freia Priestess

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • https://freiatru.wordpress.com
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2017, 12:04:44 pm »
So what is your religion?

I'm 'Freiatru' which is a term I created in the tradition of the Asatru/Vanatru style. It means I worship Freia and her people, the Vanir, yes, but I see them in other cultures as the germanic one, as well. Usually referred to as 'The Golden Ones' they can be found in many Indo-European cultures and originated from the Proto-Indo-Europeans. I don't go back as far in my worship, though, I feel good enough with the known agriculture gods.

Obviously this means Freia and Ingvi but also Thor (which I view as Vanic, yup, sue me :whis:), Sif and Loki. I'm not sure of the latter fits the term but well, then again I made it up for lack of a better one and not because things has to be this way or else I dismiss them. :ange: