Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Halloween/Samhain Plans?  (Read 5899 times)

shadowsiren

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Polytheist with a dash of religious witchcraft / Always learning
Halloween/Samhain Plans?
« on: October 24, 2016, 05:07:53 pm »
... oh, look, it's me again being nosy about your holiday plans :whis:

In all seriousness, though, I'd love to hear what you've got planned.

On the non-religious side of things we'll do our normal. That is we'll go to the Trick-or-Treating activity at my husband's work and also the Halloween activity put on by the church that the majority of my family are members of. (Those are both this week) On Halloween itself we'll go out to dinner - family tradition dictates that we go to Chili's. Largely because when this tradition started forever ago I was pregnant and the only thing on earth that sounded edible were their chicken crispers with honey mustard sauce... and since then it has morphed into a thing - and then come home, turn off the outside lights (not that we really get trick or treaters where we live) and eat a bunch of candy while watching It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.

Religious/Spiritually... I've got nothing. Zilch. Nada. I want to do something but I'm drawing a complete blank. About a month ago I had a spiritual meltdown as I moved to the next stage of grieving as related to leaving my childhood religion behind (not something I'd been aware I'd been undergoing until it happened, tbh. That was a fun day...) and haven't done any formal observances/rituals since then. Largely because said childhood religion is really big on rules/formal observances/signs of faith etc and I realized that I was trying to superimpose those rules on my new path... which, no. So I've kind of just focused on getting my crap together this past month. Still got a long way to go but I'm starting to feel like I've got my feet under me again.

TL;DR - I've got fun family plans and am currently drawing a blank on the spiritual side of things and am searching for something to spark an idea. You?

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Halloween/Samhain Plans?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 06:28:46 pm »
Quote from: shadowsiren;197941

On the non-religious side of things we'll do our normal. That is we'll go to the Trick-or-Treating activity at my husband's work and also the Halloween activity put on by the church that the majority of my family are members of. (Those are both this week) On Halloween itself we'll go out to dinner - family tradition dictates that we go to Chili's. Largely because when this tradition started forever ago I was pregnant and the only thing on earth that sounded edible were their chicken crispers with honey mustard sauce... and since then it has morphed into a thing - and then come home, turn off the outside lights (not that we really get trick or treaters where we live) and eat a bunch of candy while watching It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.

Religious/Spiritually... I've got nothing. Zilch. Nada. I want to do something but I'm drawing a complete blank. About a month ago I had a spiritual meltdown as I moved to the next stage of grieving as related to leaving my childhood religion behind (not something I'd been aware I'd been undergoing until it happened, tbh. That was a fun day...) and haven't done any formal observances/rituals since then. Largely because said childhood religion is really big on rules/formal observances/signs of faith etc and I realized that I was trying to superimpose those rules on my new path... which, no. So I've kind of just focused on getting my crap together this past month. Still got a long way to go but I'm starting to feel like I've got my feet under me again.

TL;DR - I've got fun family plans and am currently drawing a blank on the spiritual side of things and am searching for something to spark an idea. You?

I don't do anything on the spiritual side but I love the costumes! My work has a costume contest and this year I am going as a mad scientist (complete with plush rats).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 07:44:48 pm »

Heading to London for an art exhibition on the Friday, and Saturday I'm probably going to head to a party. :)

As for witchy plans, erm I don't really have any. I tend to keep things pretty relaxed and simple. I might light a black candle and say a prayer, maybe do a bit of gardening.

If you're stuck for ideas, some divination perhaps? Or a dumb supper? Nows also a pretty good time for a banishing ritual. I think I'll do that myself actually, a lil' something to help rid myself of all this year's negativity. ^^;

Anyway, whatever you decide to do this Halloween/Samhain, I hope you have a good one!

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:11:25 pm »
You?

So much to do!  On the secular side of things, we're doing a charity fundraiser at work, which means Monday we're doing all the traditional stuff - decorating, lots of treats and costumes.  I'll also have treats for the neighborhood kids in the evening as well.  

On the spiritual side of things, I'm heading out Saturday to do some grave-tending and then overseeing a small memorial ceremony for a friend's sister who passed this year. On Sunday I'll wrap up the last of the plant harvesting of the year (including a visit to an orchard for apple picking) and fix food for a dumb supper.   Monday night, after the trick-or-treaters have all gone home, I'll do a private memorial ritual, prayers and offerings.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 08:12:35 pm »

Well I figured out my costume, which is that I'm going to wear my Wonder Woman snuggie and be Wonder Woman. (It is a snuggie that makes it look like you are Wonder Woman, not just one with her symbols or color scheme.)

Other than that I have no idea what we're doing for the secular side of things, if we're going out, or what. We never have trick-or-treaters, we have no kids, and we don't like going to most parties, so.

Might see if we can tag along with the in-laws when they go trick-or-treating. Otherwise, no clue. It sucks, as Halloween has long been my favourite holiday, but I find as I get older and have no kids yet there are fewer options for me to really celebrate it.

Spiritually I need to write a ritual for Manannan, as it's the anniversary of His adoption of me and in my version of the Wheel of the Year it's His holiday. I'm also going to make apple crisp, as I traditionally do for the holiday, and engage in some ancestor-honoring. And also I'm starting a year-and-a-day project soon, and Samhain feels like the perfect time to begin, so I need to plan that out and figure out my steps and such.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:55:13 pm »

I won't be much help I'm afraid. Have a big test on the morning of the 31st, and then a lab simulation assessment on the afternoon of the 1st so my brain will be too overwhelmed with various health and anatomy info to put much into anything fancy. I hope to make some fave dei morti (an Italian almond cookie made for All Souls- literally translates as "beans of the dead") sometime late this week. I want to do something to kickstart the year on the night of the 31st, seeing how it's not only the holiday but a new moon, but I'm still working on details besides "be outside in my garden".

jmwbb

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 12:11:45 am »

I'm new to the whole Paganism thing so I'm not super duper familiar with a lot of it. Also it's not something that I believe in but I'm sticking around largely because I'm thinking about starting to incorporate elements from Paganism into my own beliefs.

And as it so happens, the first thing I want to incorporate is having a slightly Wiccan Samhain! From my rudimentary understanding of it, it's supposed to be a moment "outside time" because of the implications of the cyclical nature of time in Wicca and it being New Year's Eve and all. In addition, it also so happens that my week is pretty much packed until Halloween/Samhain, and then that is the day that I'm gonna have a bunch of free time to cool down!

So, what I'm basically going to do is a couple things:

• Do that cute thing you do on February 29th where you just have a fun time because it's an "extra" day
  • Treat it a bit like New Year's Eve in that I'll look at it as a bit of a conclusion to the year and look forward to the cool things I plan for next year
  • Get vaguely spiritual and soul-searchy

Pretty basic and I know not super in line with how Samhain is traditionally celebrated, but hey, as far as Samhain celebrations go outside Wicca, that's pretty intense.

I also just want to have an opportunity to attach spiritual significance to a holiday at all, I've only been Christian for a relatively short while, so the only holiday I went through being Christian was Easter, which is obviously important in Christianity but I was still too confused in my faith to do anything about it. Now I'm more sure of what my beliefs are and their consequences, I'm ready to experience the Jesus on Christmas, but for now I'm gonna wind down with some cool vague mysticism and stuff a week from today :D:

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan. kitchen witch.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 08:58:49 am »

I'm spending the early weekend with my maman for her birthday, and coming home Saturday to watch rocky horror that my friends put on, bake all day Sunday, and have a harvest dinner fire pit night Monday.  

I'm making nigellas rosemary remembrance cake, soul cakes, and some dark bread!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 09:27:48 am »

I don't do mundane Hallowe'en for reasons. (Explained more below.)

Our current ritual group plans involve getting together Saturday evening (assuming the current plague at the hosting household is better.) The scheduling is for logistical reasons. Our plans include some ritual (remembering our beloved dead) and food, and talking through some things.

One of the things in my tradition is that ritual food is food your beloved dead would like. I don't always do a full dumb supper (and in fact usually don't unless there is a large ritual to go with it) but I do try to make one of the customary dishes for that, and pick up foods that remind me of people.

(Alas, a lot of the familial foods are things it's really awkward to do if you live alone, so I mostly do modifications: I routinely do a pork and apple meat pie instead of steak and kidney pie, for example, because same culinary tradition, but the former holds a lot better as leftovers, or if I'm bringing it for ritual food.)

I'll probably do something small and personal on the 31st, but I also do something on the 3rd, for the anniversary of my father's death. It's been 26 years, but ... yeah. (This is the reason I don't do parties for Hallowe'en: combo of Samhain plus that anniversary just make me not want to do light-hearted party, ever, this time of year.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 12:12:07 pm »

I'm very over extended this year. I'll be co-running an open ritual at a local stone circle on Saturday but I've a couple of private workings I need to do as well and then I'm hosting a full on coven ritual on Sunday.

I'm trying not to think about it!

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 11:59:06 pm »

Well, I work a 9-5 job Monday through Friday, so that's going to eat up much of my time on those days. But I have plans.
On Halloween, I'll scare trick-or-treaters while hosting friends and having a feast. Celebrate the fun and levity of the season, laughing in the face of death by eating, drinking, being merry, and telling ghost stories/watching spooky movies. To me, this not only celebrates the secular/cultural holiday of Halloween, but also celebrates Samhain. Guising and mumming were predecessors of modern trick-or-treating and theatre. We're planning a feast of apples, whole hens, and fresh bread, with mead and apple cider.

At midnight, the missus and I will transition to a more solemn ritual for Samhain, lighting our fireplace fire and paying homage to our Celtic ancestors and their gods. Offerings, especially a libation of mead, will be made.

I'll be keeping mindful through the whole festival of my ancestors, and deceased relatives. My grandparents are all dead, and my grandmother died last year a few days before Halloween. There's something poignant in that, as it was so close to the season. All Hallow's, Samhain, whatever you call it--it has always been a festival that confronts the power of death, by laughing at it or revelling in the life we have now. That is what I will remember, and that is what I will celebrate.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 08:01:08 am »

Well, I might spend the morning driving from my house (San Bernardino, CA) up to Oak Glen.  Touristy apple country, right at the snow line, and simply gorgeous.  It's a Hallows custom of mine, that when possible, I drive up there and get some delicious, local, raw cider.  I might mull it in the crock, or do some pickin and make apple cider oatmeal.  (Also a Xmas fave.)  

This year, I dunno.  I had my shoulder put back together after a nasty work accident, so I can't really manipulate the wheel (and I love making that drive myself.)  Plus I have a phys therapy appointment in the early afternoon, which cuts into craftytime.

Come dusk, Madame Wife will take the kids to the local church Harvest fest-- which is great; it's fun and safe for the pups.  I'll stay at home because 1) I'm deathly allergic to all the hay this church puts everywhere, and 2) I love handing candy out to the little neighborhood monkeys.  Ever since I became a parent I found all those little costumes are fucking cute.  Don't tell anyone I said that.  There will be orange lights on the porch and some kid-friendly Halloween stuff playing on the stereo, because this is the part of the night that really needs some mirth.  

I usually make colcannon.  With garlic and peppers.  Maybe some bacon.  But this year Madame wants to make split pea soup.  Fine with me.  Her split pea 'soup' always comes out like mashed taters.  Bowl o'that, with some buttermilk biscuits and Guinness.  Fuck me.  Heaven.  

Pretty good times.  Mostly a night of fun and being thankful for all the year's badassery.

But.  My Ma died on 10/28/15.  I spent last Hallows season in shock, but this year I have opportunity for some observance.  I won't do mourning (she would've hated that) but there's room for vigil and remembrance.  This might be a time for some tears, and that's OK.  This might also be a time for getting blackly drunk.  And that's OK too.

So I kinda have a plan.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:02:24 am by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 06:47:19 am »

I no longer celebrate Samhain spiritually, of course, but there are definitely Halloween plans. Mostly involving food.

In an almost miraculous turn of events, I have a short day at school on Monday, so I'm going to make some graveyard chocolate pud for dessert (recipe). My stepmother will make the witch's brew stew that has become a family tradition. I'll take my little brother out trick-or-treating, we'll watch Igor after dinner, and once he's in bed, we grown-ups will share some punch or cider and maybe watch a grown-up horror film (I'm rooting for The VVitch, but I may end up outvoted). It will certainly be over before midnight, so my stepmother gets her ritual time. I'll probably end up listening to some themed playlist and reading way later than I should, and it will show on Tuesday morning!
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 09:58:02 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;198256
I no longer celebrate Samhain spiritually, of course, but there are definitely Halloween plans. Mostly involving food.

In an almost miraculous turn of events, I have a short day at school on Monday, so I'm going to make some graveyard chocolate pud for dessert (recipe). My stepmother will make the witch's brew stew that has become a family tradition. I'll take my little brother out trick-or-treating, we'll watch Igor after dinner, and once he's in bed, we grown-ups will share some punch or cider and maybe watch a grown-up horror film (I'm rooting for The VVitch, but I may end up outvoted). It will certainly be over before midnight, so my stepmother gets her ritual time. I'll probably end up listening to some themed playlist and reading way later than I should, and it will show on Tuesday morning!

I love how you celebrate with your family!

I will have officially been through a year and a day of pagan studies on November 1. Oh my gods, what a year it's been! I have also been on the cauldron for a year, so yay!

My divorce hearing is also on the first, so I have taken the day off. I don't think this is a coincidence. I will be trying to find my great grandmothers grave. My mom knows where it is, but I'm afraid to ask her, as she already has her suspicions. I just want to honor her and thank her for her legacy. She was a smart, tough, witchy woman. I have already dedicated myself as a pagan/follower of the path. I'm planning to meditate and do a tarot spread, as well, I imagine some magic will be involved.

Yesterday I had a ritual to Venus for self love and confidence for the new moon. I also went to a Halloween party, which really helped with my spirits.

On Halloween, I'm taking my son trick or treating with a friend. He's too young for candy, but I think he'll like seeing all the people dressed up.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 10:32:00 am »
Quote from: MeadowRae;198315
I love how you celebrate with your family!

I will have officially been through a year and a day of pagan studies on November 1. Oh my gods, what a year it's been! I have also been on the cauldron for a year, so yay!

My divorce hearing is also on the first, so I have taken the day off. I don't think this is a coincidence. I will be trying to find my great grandmothers grave. My mom knows where it is, but I'm afraid to ask her, as she already has her suspicions. I just want to honor her and thank her for her legacy. She was a smart, tough, witchy woman. I have already dedicated myself as a pagan/follower of the path. I'm planning to meditate and do a tarot spread, as well, I imagine some magic will be involved.

Yesterday I had a ritual to Venus for self love and confidence for the new moon. I also went to a Halloween party, which really helped with my spirits.

On Halloween, I'm taking my son trick or treating with a friend. He's too young for candy, but I think he'll like seeing all the people dressed up.
Sadly because of my accident earlier this month and lack of being able to work both jobs (I go back to my other job tonight, woo!) and therefore stress of money, I haven't been able to really be excited about Halloween like I have in the past.

I've been working all weekend and will be tomorrow, but I'll do some fun spiderweb makeup for tomorrow since I'll be delivering sammiches. I'm going to a friend's tonight to hopefully talk her into some witchy styled ancestor honoring (she's Bible Belt Christian) and maybe a few drinks.

I dunno what tomorrow holds outside of having to work, but I may get to doing that banishing ritual for my string of bad luck I started a thread about. Maybe I'll tag along to trick or treating with said friend and her son if I can.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Tags: