Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Yule log  (Read 2905 times)

Torie

• View Profile
Yule log
« on: October 24, 2016, 08:59:55 am »
I've been working on things to do with my family for yule. I really like the idea of the yule log. However, I don't have a fireplace to keep it burning. I have a firepit outside but I don't want to leave anything burning in it unattended. Anyone have any alternatives?

jmwbb

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Yule log
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:30:36 am »
Quote from: Torie;197909
I've been working on things to do with my family for yule. I really like the idea of the yule log. However, I don't have a fireplace to keep it burning. I have a firepit outside but I don't want to leave anything burning in it unattended. Anyone have any alternatives?

This is a super modern alternative, but if it's just for fun and isn't super important and you don't have an alternative, you could carve the log into a candle holder and light candles in it instead of burning the actual log?

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:36:48 am »
Quote from: jmwbb;197910
This is a super modern alternative, but if it's just for fun and isn't super important and you don't have an alternative, you could carve the log into a candle holder and light candles in it instead of burning the actual log?
That's what my witchy mama* does. They still have a Christmas tree for presents, but she has a log with tea light holes cut out and faux holly branches glued to it that is the centerpiece of her dinner table.

*I call her my witchy mama because she's my non-pagan best friend's mom who has kinda adopted me over the years.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

jmwbb

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 09:53:39 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;197911
That's what my witchy mama* does. They still have a Christmas tree for presents, but she has a log with tea light holes cut out and faux holly branches glued to it that is the centerpiece of her dinner table.

*I call her my witchy mama because she's my non-pagan best friend's mom who has kinda adopted me over the years.

Off topic but this just reminded me that my grandma always ends up using tea lights in birthday cakes because she always forgets to buy birthday candles :p

Torie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 10:31:10 am »
Quote from: jmwbb;197910

Thanks! I like that and can get my kids involved in helping with it.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 03:48:33 pm »

Another alternative besides the traditional log you burn is to make a buche de noel, a cake shaped like a yule log. Some of them are quite impressively realistic.

jmwbb

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 04:17:18 pm »
Quote from: Noctua;197933
Another alternative besides the traditional log you burn is to make a buche de noel, a cake shaped like a yule log. Some of them are quite impressively realistic.

I would advise against trying to make such a realistic cake unless OP happens to be an expert cake artist. You know how these things usually turn out...

shadowsiren

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Polytheist with a dash of religious witchcraft / Always learning
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 04:57:29 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;197911

Oooh... I like this idea.

Quote from: Noctua;197933

I'll probably be doing something like this. Only not quite realistic because I'm a kick ass baker but my cake decorating skills are pretty average. And let's be honest...it's cake, so that means it will last approximately .05 seconds in my house before someone grabs a fork and digs in, lol.

Stratplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 06:26:40 pm »

They sell plug in Yule logs. I might get one

Tags: