Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Author Topic: Solidary Tarot Digital and Physical Decks?  (Read 2659 times)

NightFury326

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Solidary Tarot Digital and Physical Decks?
« on: October 21, 2016, 09:40:06 pm »
So, I've just started getting into tarot cards, and I've only been able to use a digital deck I found on the app store (Golden Thread) for beginners and explains the meanings of the cards. I've done a few drawings when I feel the need or have a question.

My only problem is having a physical deck, and even though I'm an adult- my mom's objection to it the same that she had when me and a friend used astrology applications on Facebook some years back.

I've also begun creating (digitally) a custom deck- partially because I'm feeling really creative and the rest is because I just feel a strong connection to the subjects of the drawings.
Former Username- Heather326SC

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan. kitchen witch.
Re: Solidary Tarot Digital and Physical Decks?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 09:51:46 am »
Quote from: Heather326SC;197767
So, I've just started getting into tarot cards, and I've only been able to use a digital deck I found on the app store (Golden Thread) for beginners and explains the meanings of the cards. I've done a few drawings when I feel the need or have a question.

My only problem is having a physical deck, and even though I'm an adult- my mom's objection to it the same that she had when me and a friend used astrology applications on Facebook some years back.

I've also begun creating (digitally) a custom deck- partially because I'm feeling really creative and the rest is because I just feel a strong connection to the subjects of the drawings.

Hey there!  Just to clarify, are you asking if the digital deck will work in place of a physical deck long term?

I have never used a digital, but I think it would be a great way to learn the card meanings.  

The physical cards are just such a personal experience and carry so much energy that I couldn't give them up.  

Do you live with your mom?  Maybe you could have cards and just keep it to yourself if you don't live together?

NightFury326

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 10:25:35 am »
Quote from: milkeyedmender;197774
Hey there!  Just to clarify, are you asking if the digital deck will work in place of a physical deck long term?

I have never used a digital, but I think it would be a great way to learn the card meanings.  

Sort of. My mind's been all over the place lately, so the way I worded the whole OP might've turned out a bit incoherent.

Quote from: milkeyedmender;197774

The physical cards are just such a personal experience and carry so much energy that I couldn't give them up.  

Do you live with your mom?  Maybe you could have cards and just keep it to yourself if you don't live together?

Yeah- I do, and we're really close.

I also feel like making my own deck, will give me an energetic connection to the cards I make. I've been looking at some different decks online and non of them really seem to stand out to me at the moment.

NightFury326

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 10:27:57 am »
Quote from: Heather326SC;197775

Just wanted to clarify, that she's been in my room while I'm on the site here and whether she's seen what windows I have open on my browser, she doesn't really care what sites I'm on.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 10:33:30 am »
Quote from: Heather326SC;197775
Sort of. My mind's been all over the place lately, so the way I worded the whole OP might've turned out a bit incoherent.

I also feel like making my own deck, will give me an energetic connection to the cards I make. I've been looking at some different decks online and non of them really seem to stand out to me at the moment.

Do you have a smartphone? There are apps available that let you do readings, though to purchase the full deck you usually have to pay a small fee. I have my absolute favorite deck, the Shadowscapes, on my phone. I'd say the deck app is actually better than the physical cards in some cases. Not only is more portable, but the imagery on the app is crisper and clearer than with my actual deck of cards!

As for making your own deck: go for it!
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 12:33:26 pm »
Quote from: Heather326SC;197767

I have tried some of the free apps, and find they are pretty nice for simple (like one to three card draws) things, but as mentioned many require you to purchase them to do certain spreads or even to see the whole deck.

You can definitely make your own oracle deck!  I think that Tarot decks can also be made, though I think they require more study into the symbolism of the cards (so you know what image to put on what card)

One oracle system I recently stumbled over and am really excited about building up is SoulCollage.  It uses collage to make your own oracle cards, and there is a basic framework that you can start with or build from (some good resources for it here:  Soul Collage resources scroll allll the way down to the bottom links and there are links to articles on the cards, how to make them and how to use them)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:34:02 pm by Kylara »
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

NightFury326

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 04:31:14 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;197782

You can definitely make your own oracle deck!  I think that Tarot decks can also be made, though I think they require more study into the symbolism of the cards (so you know what image to put on what card)

I've stumbled upon a few that are willing to print my cards- I'm doing the art digitally because that's how I'm most comfortable creating.

So far MakePlayingCards.com and PrintersStudio might work for when I get up to that step.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 12:45:41 pm »
Quote from: Heather326SC;197787
I've stumbled upon a few that are willing to print my cards- I'm doing the art digitally because that's how I'm most comfortable creating.

So far MakePlayingCards.com and PrintersStudio might work for when I get up to that step.

I have a friend that was planning on getting a deck made with MakePlayingCards, if he does, I'll try to remember to post about how they turned out
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Pfeenix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 11:21:33 pm »
I cannot say I've had much luck personally connecting to the tarot apps. I don't find the readings to be as accurate, for me at least, when I attempt them.  I do think they make great pocket references, though. I also think they are great for trying out decks you may be interested in prior to purchase.

Quote from: Kylara;197782

To add to this, when I was learning tarot, I was told that making your own deck can be a great way to learn to better intuitively interpret the cards. Partly because of the research required, and partly because you have to craft what each card means to you into the story for your deck.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:22:14 pm by Pfeenix »

NightFury326

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 08:06:27 pm »
Quote from: Pfeenix;198296

To add to this, when I was learning tarot, I was told that making your own deck can be a great way to learn to better intuitively interpret the cards. Partly because of the research required, and partly because you have to craft what each card means to you into the story for your deck.

I'm hoping to make the art style (for myself) a bit more realistic :) I'm currently working on The Empress card.

For what it's worth- the free app is good to get a feel for it. I'm hoping to buy one off Etsy so I have a physical deck- I believe I might've found one that interests me.

Tags: