Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Castus has a new altar  (Read 5572 times)

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
Castus has a new altar
« on: October 20, 2016, 09:03:13 pm »

With images of G-d, Serapis, Dionysos, the Sefirot, and Antinous. Candle will be added later.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Castus has a new altar
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 06:06:26 pm »
Quote from: Castus;197741

With images of G-d, Serapis, Dionysos, the Sefirot, and Antinous. Candle will be added later.

That is nifty.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 09:28:14 pm »
... images of G-d....

I gotta say, that's not a phrase I expected to ever see. Not just from you, but generally.

I'm curious about the reasoning behind giving up aniconicism, but continuing to spell the (etymologically Germanic) word for 'deity' with a hyphen when the 'G' is capitalized.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 09:49:06 pm »

That is elegantly set up. Do you have a source on that image of Dionysos? I'm curious.

The imagery of Hashem is striking, although it presents a bit of a dilemma to me, as someone who perceives Him in the Jewish tradition as aniconic.

That said, clear images of Hashem aren't entirely without precedent in Jewish mysticism. Chaim Vital, the student of Isaac Luria, gives a description of a vision he had of God in very anthropomorphic, visual terms ("he had the likeness of an Ancient of Days, old, with a beard white as snow, in infinite majesty") that align pretty well with the image portrayed in this picture.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:15:36 pm »
Quote from: Eastling;197768
That is elegantly set up. Do you have a source on that image of Dionysos? I'm curious.

The imagery of Hashem is striking, although it presents a bit of a dilemma to me, as someone who perceives Him in the Jewish tradition as aniconic.

That said, clear images of Hashem aren't entirely without precedent in Jewish mysticism. Chaim Vital, the student of Isaac Luria, gives a description of a vision he had of God in very anthropomorphic, visual terms ("he had the likeness of an Ancient of Days, old, with a beard white as snow, in infinite majesty") that align pretty well with the image portrayed in this picture.

Thank you!

The image of Dionysos, and of Serapis for that matter, is by Lykeia*; who I believe has an Etsy shop with some of her paintings, and I know you can purchase that image as a small prayer card off Galina Krasskova's Etsy page as well.

I prefer to worship with images, although now that I think about it I do like the idea of having a tiny ner tamid to represent Hashem instead. I do really like that icon though, even if it's clearly Christian. I just wanted a nice way to represent G-d on my altar as the preeminent deity and I think it worked out nicely. Plus, it's not technically a graven idol, so I'm in the clear. :p

*By the by, if anyone wants a large, beautiful painting of Apollo which I purchased fro Lykeia years ago, feel free to PM me and I'll sell it cheap.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 11:19:22 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;197761
That is nifty.

Thank you!

Quote from: SunflowerP;197766
I gotta say, that's not a phrase I expected to ever see. Not just from you, but generally.

I'm curious about the reasoning behind giving up aniconicism, but continuing to spell the (etymologically Germanic) word for 'deity' with a hyphen when the 'G' is capitalized.

Sunflower

Not technically a graven image, so I'm not violating a rather important mitzvah -- although I'm admittedly pirouetting on the border of doing so. The mitzvah against destroying G-d's name, however, is one I take no precautions with.

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 11:39:51 pm »
Quote from: Castus;197770
I prefer to worship with images, although now that I think about it I do like the idea of having a tiny ner tamid to represent Hashem instead. I do really like that icon though, even if it's clearly Christian. I just wanted a nice way to represent G-d on my altar as the preeminent deity and I think it worked out nicely. Plus, it's not technically a graven idol, so I'm in the clear. :p

I can understand that--I've been tentatively exploring having idol-like things on my shrine, but my own inclination is to more abstract symbolism, so that's what I use. (The Dionysos section of the shrine is a mask, a plant, and a glass dildo; the Lilith section is a pewter owl charm bejeweled with red glass and an anime-styled cartoon picture of a snake-woman.)

Quote from: Castus;197771
Not technically a graven image, so I'm not violating a rather important mitzvah -- although I'm admittedly pirouetting on the border of doing so. The mitzvah against destroying G-d's name, however, is one I take no precautions with.

As a Jew who gets devotional tattoos to other gods, I can appreciate the value of pirouetting on the border of violating mitzvot.

(Although I identify specifically as a minim or Jewish heretic, so it's complicated.)
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Tags: