Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Hurt/ abandoned / helpless animals  (Read 3297 times)

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan. kitchen witch.
Hurt/ abandoned / helpless animals
« on: October 18, 2016, 12:14:25 am »
Anyone have experience with or understand why I would be on a streak of finding hurt and abandoned animals?  Not all have been hurt but all have been in need:

Kitten stuck in a tree
Duckling with injured foot
And three black kittens on the doorstep of the spookiest house ever.  This house still has the spray paint from first responders checking f it for bodies after the tornado of 2011.  It's so creepy, it's almost a cliche.  But it's also old, whites peely paint beautiful.  

Even my nonwitchy friends are wondering why this is happening and what it means.  This as all happened in the past 6 days.

Solar

• View Profile
Re: Hurt/ abandoned / helpless animals
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 05:50:39 am »
Quote from: milkeyedmender;197619
Anyone have experience with or understand why I would be on a streak of finding hurt and abandoned animals?  Not all have been hurt but all have been in need:

Kitten stuck in a tree
Duckling with injured foot
And three black kittens on the doorstep of the spookiest house ever.  This house still has the spray paint from first responders checking f it for bodies after the tornado of 2011.  It's so creepy, it's almost a cliche.  But it's also old, whites peely paint beautiful.  

Even my nonwitchy friends are wondering why this is happening and what it means.  This as all happened in the past 6 days.

I wouldn't say it's anything bad. If something is putting you in the path of animals in need then it's so you can help them. Either they know you'll be able to help or are testing if you would.

Either way, you're doing good deeds :)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:05:45 am »

A number of people I know reliably notice a rampup in this kind of thing in the weeks just before Samhain. (Not everyone, but enough that it's not just a fluke for one or two people.)

One of the people who has reliably noticed it most thought it was related to various natural cycles for animals (we're at the point in the year, if you live somewhere where it gets cold in the winter, when there's a big shift for a lot of animals to find shelter and protection for the cold. And even if it doesn't get as cold, it's the time of year in the Northern Hemisphere when the food supply starts changing dramatically.)

That, plus the possible effects of things like the Wild Hunt or the trooping of the Good Folk or whatever your local manifestations of non-physical beings with seasonal tropisms might be.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 01:36:07 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;197634
A number of people I know reliably notice a rampup in this kind of thing in the weeks just before Samhain. (Not everyone, but enough that it's not just a fluke for one or two people.)

One of the people who has reliably noticed it most thought it was related to various natural cycles for animals (we're at the point in the year, if you live somewhere where it gets cold in the winter, when there's a big shift for a lot of animals to find shelter and protection for the cold. And even if it doesn't get as cold, it's the time of year in the Northern Hemisphere when the food supply starts changing dramatically.)

That, plus the possible effects of things like the Wild Hunt or the trooping of the Good Folk or whatever your local manifestations of non-physical beings with seasonal tropisms might be.

Thank you janett!

That makes me feel good and more at ease that you know others who have experienced this.  This is the worst year I've had with this, and I too chalked the timing up to the veil thinning.  I always have some weird things go down around this time.  

I'm more familiar with the wild hunt,but do you have more information or a source for the trooping of the good folk?  Faerie?  And do you think that the activity of these nonphysical beings drives animals more in the open?

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 01:36:55 pm »
Quote from: milkeyedmender;197645
Thank you janett!

That makes me feel good and more at ease that you know others who have experienced this.  This is the worst year I've had with this, and I too chalked the timing up to the veil thinning.  I always have some weird things go down around this time.  

I'm more familiar with the wild hunt,but do you have more information or a source for the trooping of the good folk?  Faerie?  And do you think that the activity of these nonphysical beings drives animals more in the open?

Jenett*  Auto correct really wants your name to be Herbert

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 01:45:28 pm »
Quote from: Solar;197629
I wouldn't say it's anything bad. If something is putting you in the path of animals in need then it's so you can help them. Either they know you'll be able to help or are testing if you would.

Either way, you're doing good deeds :)

Thank you solar.  In most ways in life I don't feel honor bound to help-but with animals I feel like there is no other choice but to save them.  It's not to say I'm not compassionate, but animals are my favorite people :)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 02:20:43 pm »
Quote from: milkeyedmender;197645

It's a pretty standard discussion in a lot of folklore sources - sorry, don't have stuff immediately at hand othre than to gesture at Katherine Briggs (one of the standard sources on the topic) and maybe the book Strange and Secret Peoples. Searches on "trooping fairies" and "trooping fae" and so on will get you some of it, most likely.

It's all stuff of the kind I've accumulated in my head over 20+ years, and this is not a favourable week for me to try to track any of it down. (Very busy week at work, a couple of outside of work commitments that mean I'm way behind on several things, and a work trip on Friday.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 08:24:49 pm »
Anyone have experience with or understand why I would be on a streak of finding hurt and abandoned animals?  

I had an abandoned kitten in my neighborhood that I tried to catch, but he/she was too quick. He ended up inside my husband's truck and went for a ride around town and escaped at his shop. The shop is located on a pecan orchard with a big barn with lots of cats that are fed and cared for by the farm workers. I feel bad that he didn't end up in a house, but the local animal control is overrun and he may not have made it out of there. He was just so wild. At least he'll have food, shelter, and companions in the barn.

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 07:51:05 am »
Quote from: Jenett;197673
It's a pretty standard discussion in a lot of folklore sources - sorry, don't have stuff immediately at hand othre than to gesture at Katherine Briggs (one of the standard sources on the topic) and maybe the book Strange and Secret Peoples. Searches on "trooping fairies" and "trooping fae" and so on will get you some of it, most likely.

It's all stuff of the kind I've accumulated in my head over 20+ years, and this is not a favourable week for me to try to track any of it down. (Very busy week at work, a couple of outside of work commitments that mean I'm way behind on several things, and a work trip on Friday.)

Jenett, I've googled it and have a bit more understanding.  This isn't the best week for me either, but I would like to pick your brain a bit more when it's better timing.  Maybe some book recommendations a etc.

The fad have always touched me, but I've never researched them or attributes much in my life to them.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 09:37:47 am »
Quote from: milkeyedmender;197703
Jenett, I've googled it and have a bit more understanding.  This isn't the best week for me either, but I would like to pick your brain a bit more when it's better timing.  Maybe some book recommendations a etc.

I've stuck your other thread into my todo list, but no promises about if/when I'll manage it.

The Fae are not a primary thing related to my practice (I am very much a "Be very polite if encountering, and don't go looking for them unless absolutely necessary" type) so you're basically asking for a couple of hours of research on my part to find links I half remember, as opposed to a lot of other topics I have much more readily to hand and brain. And especially with both Samhain and a familial death anniversary right after, I basically don't expect my brain to work well or fast in the last week of October or early November.

I'm hoping someone else may have stuff handy more readily.

One place you can rummage is that Catja, a long time member here, is actually an academic who focuses on folklore and children's lit (and transformative works, but that part is slightly less relevant here.)

She's done several extended commentaries on the fae and related folklore and sources over the years: you could do a lot worse than look at her posts and scan through for ones of relevance. (This is, however, the kind of thing that takes time.) Here's a link to her user page: you can click on 'find all posts' to get the posts she's made.)

On the other thread, it would likely also be helpful if you could describe places you have looked already / search terms you've tried / etc. since that would help people suggest alternates.

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 12:24:00 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;197707
I've stuck your other thread into my todo list, but no promises about if/when I'll manage it.

The Fae are not a primary thing related to my practice (I am very much a "Be very polite if encountering, and don't go looking for them unless absolutely necessary" type) so you're basically asking for a couple of hours of research on my part to find links I half remember, as opposed to a lot of other topics I have much more readily to hand and brain. And especially with both Samhain and a familial death anniversary right after, I basically don't expect my brain to work well or fast in the last week of October or early November.

I'm hoping someone else may have stuff handy more readily.

One place you can rummage is that Catja, a long time member here, is actually an academic who focuses on folklore and children's lit (and transformative works, but that part is slightly less relevant here.)

She's done several extended commentaries on the fae and related folklore and sources over the years: you could do a lot worse than look at her posts and scan through for ones of relevance. (This is, however, the kind of thing that takes time.) Here's a link to her user page: you can click on 'find all posts' to get the posts she's made.)

On the other thread, it would likely also be helpful if you could describe places you have looked already / search terms you've tried / etc. since that would help people suggest alternates.

Thank you!  I think I will be able to plunder enough info from
Her posts to get the information I seek.

Thanks again for your help

Tags: