Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: trying to find a path  (Read 1688 times)

wormgiy

• View Profile
trying to find a path
« on: October 17, 2016, 09:59:29 am »
Hello all .I was raised in a Baptist household but I always felt as if I was being drawn to something else .I have been interested in the occult and in spirits ,I have studied many things about certain gods but I have yet to believe in a pantheon of "gods" but I do believe in spirits .I am trying to find the truth.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: trying to find a path
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:23:57 am »
Quote from: wormgiy;197597
Hello all .I was raised in a Baptist household but I always felt as if I was being drawn to something else .I have been interested in the occult and in spirits ,I have studied many things about certain gods but I have yet to believe in a pantheon of "gods" but I do believe in spirits .I am trying to find the truth.

Welcome!

You might find some of the essays on my website, Seeking, to be helpful in getting started with some common terms and ideas. (I'd suggest starting with the Basics section: the rest of the site is more focused on religious witchcraft, but that section has more general info about Paganism and different strands of it.) You might also find the essay on setting aside assumptions from other religions helpful

I will say that I think many people who are Pagan don't think there's one single truth out there. Most of the Pagans I know think they've found some stuff that works for us.

I also recommend the Teens and Paganism FAQ that a number of people here on the Cauldron put together a few years ago. It's got great info for people of any age.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 03:01:46 pm »

I don't follow a pantheon yet, but I am drawn to the Greek myths. Some people start with a God or Goddess and work from a devotional practice. I'm not one of those people. I started with the seasons and the moon phases. My focus is inward; we call it shadow work. I record the minute changes in my environment and how I am emotionally, mentally, and physically effected. I do a lot of meditating and writing.

Everyone is different so don't think you need to be on anyone else's schedule. Even the books are guidelines and not meant to be followed to the letter. I just started buying some Wiccan books to use as a starting place for constructing rituals. I am not interested in spell work at this time beyond the simple blessings that everyone does.

The main reason why I didn't start with books is because I didn't want to start spending a bunch of money on things. I did start a Pagan library before I was ready to do any actual practicing. I have a book addiction. I am trying to use every book that I bought in some way, but I did go a little crazy.

Take advantage of blogs and archives before spending a ton of money on books. Understand that this is a spirituality that involves self education.  

Do what feels right for you. The only think I will tell you is to be happy. If Paganism doesn't make you happy then don't do it. Your personal happiness is what is important. There is no point in a spirituality if it isn't joyful.

Elding

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 02:39:03 pm »

Don't try to find the truth just yet, it's way too early for that. Simply try to find a path for now. Most paths do lead to the truth, if you stick to it and are willing to challenge your own old assumptions every now and then, but no one path is the truth. Think of them as journeys to the same place, but all starting in completely different places. This is one of the many cultural things that differ most pagan faiths from Christianity - Christianity proclaim itself to be the one and only truth, but such a One Single Truth does not exist. The truth is bigger than a single spiritual path.

Why not start by tracing your ancestry, if you have the means to do so? I see you are from the states, so this could mean tracking where your ancestors came from. Were they Native Americans? Were they Middle Eastern? Were they Germanic? You might feel a connection with whatever Pagan path was active in that specific area before Monotheism arrived there.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:39:56 pm by Elding »
Out in the woods, and I\'m not alone, but the sun\'s quickly going down!
There! In the trees! Something stalking me! Stop walking around!
\'K, just be cool, don\'t be such a fool! There is nothing at all to fear...
... other than the trees and the night and a beam of light, and the breathing in my ear...
[/I]

Tags: