Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Should I draw cards for myself?  (Read 2695 times)

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
Should I draw cards for myself?
« on: October 17, 2016, 05:15:50 am »
I have been going through a rough time of late and have thankfully found my way back to paganism. One of the little hints the Gods dropped me was finding my old tarot deck from way back when I was a teen (Dragon deck from Peter Pracownik) and I really want to pick it up again. The best way to do that seemed to pick a card every day to help me get to know my cards better and maybe help me work through some of my issues.
The cards I've drawn have been really helpful.

I got the hermit which is indeed spot on.
But I've also drawn the moon upside down on a day when I was completely out of it (thinking of doing some really stupid things) I don't know how that card came up, but it was so appropriate for how I was feeling that day, it felt like a bucket of cold water.
I've gotten judgement upside down too, on a day when some of my friends had told me to stop acting obnoxious and get my act together.
And the other day when I was wallowing in self misery I got the devil.

I told my (now ex-)sister in law, who used to do a lot of divination, and she scolded me for using the cards for reading myself. Told me I should never do that. And then she went on explaining each card to me in a way that did not match with how I was feeling about the cards.

Can someone please shed some light on this? I actually felt like the cards were helping me deal with things, rather than make it more complicated.
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
Re: Should I draw cards for myself?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 05:55:51 am »
Quote from: Vixen;197588

I told my (now ex-)sister in law, who used to do a lot of divination, and she scolded me for using the cards for reading myself. Told me I should never do that. And then she went on explaining each card to me in a way that did not match with how I was feeling about the cards.

Can someone please shed some light on this? I actually felt like the cards were helping me deal with things, rather than make it more complicated.

I draw cards for myself all the time - and I have that deck!  

I'd ignore her -this is not an exact science and that deck doesn't always follow the generic "Rider Waite" style interpretations! The cards will tell you what you need to know.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:19:24 am »

If nobody should ever do it...then why the hell do pretty much all manuals, guidebooks, lessons, workshops, and in-person teachers recommend that you start off by pulling cards for yourself?

So yeah...please keep on with what you're doing, as it sounds like you are doing very well!
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 10:03:43 am »

I read for myself all the time.  I think every person I know who works with tarot and divination cards reads for themselves.  Many of them will go to others for a reading if they are feeling particularly conflicted or if they feel they need an outside perspective, but for day to day stuff, we all draw our own cards!

I also am definitely in the intuitive reader camp.  I do have, read, and love the interpretation books, but when it comes to actual readings, I tend to go with what my gut tells me.  This is what works for me, though I do know other people who use the more traditional meanings, and that is great if that works for them.  I believe in doing what works.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 11:34:44 am »

As the others have said, plenty of people read for themselves! (And really, if you're doing a card a day, doing so for yourself is probably the only practical solution for a lot of people.)

I think the real question is whether you can sufficiently be distant from your desires for an outcome to do a reasonably unbiased reading. Some people are great this, other people are lousy at it. And likewise, some people do a great job with framing questions that make it easier to read for themselves, and some people don't.

For example: I often go for "What I should I know about X to make it go better?" kinds of questions, which work fine for reading for yourself because it's about adding to what I already know, and making what I know a part of the reading. Someone who wants a completely external view is going to have a harder time reading for themselves, probably.

I do think there are times an outside perspective is helpful, or that if you get stuck on nonsense readings for a while, asking someone else to read for you can help. But I don't think they're necessary.

(I'd also add: I've had decks in which I can't read well for myself, and decks where I can, so deck choice may play into this in some cases.)

In more general terms: this is part of why there are a lot of cautions aobut talking about divination (or magic) with other people: it can be great to get someone else's take, but if they get all argumentative about it or difficult, or refuse to respect your take on it, or goals, then it gets emotionally messy in ways that can affect what you do about it, which is no good.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 03:28:18 am »
Quote from: Jenett;197601
As the others have said, plenty of people read for themselves!

Thanks guys. You've been really helpful.
I love my deck of cards. I've read online that it can be a difficult deck to read, especially for beginners. But I have been drawn to this deck as a teen and I still love it. It speaks to me.

I can understand asking an outside opinion when you're too emotionally involved. But that's true for everything you do, not just divinations. Maybe its a good idea to ask some of you wonderful people for a reading. Just to have an unclouded reading for a change.

I will continue with my card a day routine then. :cool:
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Snake-Bitten

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 02:49:57 pm »

What you feel is more important than what another tells you is right or wrong about your path. It is your path. Listen to your intuition.

Eevee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 09:11:40 am »

....what?
I'm no expert in cards but the books which came with my old decks actually said it's wise to do readings on yourself before attempting it on others, as your inexperience can severely mislead them.

Dont worry about what you're told. If the cards you draw resonate with your situation, then just stick with it.
This isn't maths where there are right and wrong formulas....

If drawing cards helps you understand how to overcome your situations, then just keep doing what you're doing. Don't let anyone get in the way of your recovery. It's not their place.
Naboo: This is black magic. This is hardcore. Don\'t mess with the occult.
Vince Noir: I thought it was good for you.
Naboo: What?
Vince Noir: Well, you know, good for your digestive system.
Naboo: That\'s Yakult!

Tags: