Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: A very personal athame  (Read 3500 times)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
A very personal athame
« on: October 16, 2016, 06:51:36 pm »
A bit over six months ago, I commissioned a custom athame from the amazing folks at Omega Artworks (Gary and Suzy Zahradka).

They were a complete joy to work with, and I'd gladly recommend them to anyone else interested in such work. (They also do really well-made non-custom pieces with things where you can select from their standard options.)

I got it in my hands yesterday, and so of course I want to share photos. There's a much longer description of various aspects on my blog for people who want more of that, plus details of the pommel, crosspiece, and other decoration.

Here's the front.

Here's the back:

And here's a detail of the sun and planets:
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: A very personal athame
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 12:19:09 am »
Quote from: Jenett;197568
A bit over six months ago, I commissioned a custom athame from the amazing folks at Omega Artworks (Gary and Suzy Zahradka).

I got it in my hands yesterday, and so of course I want to share photos. There's a much longer description of various aspects on my blog for people who want more of that, plus details of the pommel, crosspiece, and other decoration.

Of course I was one of those who wanted all the little details.

That is absolutely gorgeous, and so full of well-chosen symbolism. I especially like the detail work in the ponds - that badger, f'ex, really does look like a badger, even though it's so tiny.

I was very briefly tempted by, 'if I had an athame custom-made, what details would mine have?' - but my story is exactly the opposite of yours; I found the right one immediately, and have no desire nor need to replace it. (I'll tell the story if you want this  thread to be about people's athame stories and how different they can be, but for now I'm considering it to be all about sharing your own athame joy.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 03:10:29 am »

Holy crap, that's gorgeous. I loved the blog post with all the backstory, too, thanks for sharing the write-up!
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 04:24:00 am »

That is beautiful!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 08:03:32 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;197583

That is absolutely gorgeous, and so full of well-chosen symbolism. I especially like the detail work in the ponds - that badger, f'ex, really does look like a badger, even though it's so tiny.

The badger! The flowers! The turtle! I am delighted by the turtle.

(I'll tell the story if you want this  thread to be about people's athame stories and how different they can be, but for now I'm considering it to be all about sharing your own athame joy.)

I am good with other people's stories! Or a new thread, if you think that works better.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 09:32:55 am »
Quote from: Jenett;197594
The badger! The flowers! The turtle! I am delighted by the turtle.

I am good with other people's stories! Or a new thread, if you think that works better.
An absolutely stunning piece of art! While I don't actually practice magic myself, I do always appreciate amazing metalwork (plus I have a serious thing for daggers and knives). I'd love to see a thread of everyone's athames.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 03:53:24 am »

Just absolutely beautiful, Jenett.  So happy for you. :)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 08:10:25 am »

They were a complete joy to work with, and I'd gladly recommend them to anyone else interested in such work. (They also do really well-made non-custom pieces with things where you can select from their standard options.)

I got it in my hands yesterday,

Gorgeous!

And the timing of your post is startling; after years of searching for an appropriate place to have a pair of symbolic/ritual swords custom-made, I stumbled on the Omega Artworks website over this past weekend, and was salivating so much over the chance at *finally* getting just the swords I want that I've spent the last few days designing their finishing touches (when I really should have been doing other things).

Sometimes the universe acts for a reason. Sold--I'm ordering my swords from them ASAP!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 08:17:25 am »
for people who want more of that, plus details

A question about the style of the inscription: Is that a standard font? Did you provide a "camera ready" version of the inscription, or did you simply provide the text, and the ultimate appearance was determined by the available fonts at Omega Artworks?

And finally, any reason why you chose a flowing lettering style, as opposed to the block-style all-caps one might expect for inscriptions on metal?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

shadowsiren

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Polytheist with a dash of religious witchcraft / Always learning
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 09:49:04 am »

Seriously gorgeous!

I'm particularly drawn to the sun and planets representation and the turtle is squee worthy adorable.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 09:58:37 am »
Quote from: Altair;197631
A question about the style of the inscription: Is that a standard font? Did you provide a "camera ready" version of the inscription, or did you simply provide the text, and the ultimate appearance was determined by the available fonts at Omega Artworks?

I provided the text, they suggested the font. They've got a bunch of others, but...

And finally, any reason why you chose a flowing lettering style, as opposed to the block-style all-caps one might expect for inscriptions on metal?

The style was a nod to more typical 15th century Italian lettering style, plus the flow fit better with the curves of the blade. If you look at some of the images on the Wikipedia page about Ficino, you can see some samples. I actually didn't want to be perfectionist about it, I wanted something readable that didn't jar the feel.

They were lovely to work with, and I'm delighted to steer more people their way. (I should note: the work is not inexpensive: custom artwork shouldn't be, really, but worth every penny: I'm glad to discuss more details via PM or email. You might be able to combine elements in their existing designs more inexpensively.)

Tags: