Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Author Topic: Pagan (ish) kids movies?  (Read 8288 times)

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
Pagan (ish) kids movies?
« on: September 30, 2016, 10:00:33 am »
I was reading one of the other forum posts about pagan movies, and I started to realize that a lot of the movies/shows I watched growing up had pagan (ish) themes to them. Meaning; they weren't outright pagan, but they definitely had some pagan values that I can relate to now.

Some examples are:

Charlotte's Web
Matilda
The Magic School Bus (Ms. Frizzle is either a Witch or a Timelord, lol)

I'm sure there are many more, but this is basically what I had in mind. This doesn't include books like the Giving Tree or the Velveteen Rabbit. What do you guys think? Can you think of examples that stick out to you?
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Merlick

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Germanic Witch
Re: Pagan (ish) kids movies?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 04:01:18 pm »
Quote from: MeadowRae;196912
I was reading one of the other forum posts about pagan movies, and I started to realize that a lot of the movies/shows I watched growing up had pagan (ish) themes to them. Meaning; they weren't outright pagan, but they definitely had some pagan values that I can relate to now.
What do you guys think? Can you think of examples that stick out to you?

Depending on which path you're referring to, there are a few examples that come to my mind:

Walhalla (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094238) A beautiful retelling of norse myths

How to train your dragon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0892769 including the sequel and tv-series - It might not be pagan, but it has elements of norse culture.

Gargoyles tv-series (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108783 Maybe not so much pagan but has elements of the Arthurian sagas mixed with a bit of Shakespeare, so it's probably better suited for young teens.

Song of the sea (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1865505 - Beautiful movie about a selkie. Although the art is rather simplistic it's not just for kids;).

The secret of Kells (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485601 For all, who are interested in a bit of celtic paganism. Same art style as above. Both should be found on youtube.

The golden compass (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385752 This one's more philosophical than pagan but you still might give it a try. Too bad they stopped filming after the first book so there are two more to read.

The magical legend of the leprechauns (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205214 If you want to get to know the little folk a bit better. Maybe not for the youngest as this one takes almost 3 hours to watch.

Hopefully you'll find something worth watching in this bunch of movies.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 06:43:49 pm »

Holes -- I haven't actually seen the movie version, but assuming it stayed close to the book, it's basically "threefold law: the movie".

Also, Yu-Gi-Oh (the original series): despite its questionable depictions of Egyptian mythology on the surface, underneath that it follows the actual structure of the Horus/Set mythology.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 06:54:06 pm »
Can you think of examples that stick out to you?

Bass-Rankin's The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus comes to mind immediately.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 10:11:46 pm »
I'm sure there are many more, but this is basically what I had in mind. This doesn't include books like the Giving Tree or the Velveteen Rabbit. What do you guys think? Can you think of examples that stick out to you?

Miyazaki's work.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 01:32:51 am »

Some examples are:

Charlotte's Web
Matilda

When I was younger:
For witchy things, there's Practical Magic definitely, and maybe The Craft.

Going younger, fairy tales, though I can't think of what non disney adaptions I liked (I loved reading Snow White and Rose Red). Fern Gully. The Secret of NIMH isn't exactly but I'm including it anyway. As mentioned, a lot of Ghibli movies, especially Spirited Away, Totoro, Kiki, Howl's Moving Castle and Mononoke.

I always loved magic and pagan themes, so I'm surprised I'm not coming up with more right now. I loved The Dark Crystal when I was very little but can't remember if it actually fits in this grouping.

Uh...

Hercules? ;)

It wasn't around when I was younger but I think Steven Universe thematically counts. And Flying Witch.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 01:40:48 am »
Quote from: Merlick;196920
Gargoyles tv-series (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108783 Maybe not so much pagan but has elements of the Arthurian sagas mixed with a bit of Shakespeare, so it's probably better suited for young teens.

Gargoyles was my first thought upon opening this thread, and I forgot to say it. I definitely watched it at a pretty young age (it was one of those things where, as a teenager/adult, I wondered if that was actually a show or if I was just confusing other ones), but I'd probably recommend it also to older kids.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 04:59:02 am »
I was reading one of the other forum posts about pagan movies

Labyrinth, definitely.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 06:45:04 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;196930
Miyazaki's work.

This. (You beat me to it, Darkhawk.)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 12:35:40 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;196923
Holes -- I haven't actually seen the movie version, but assuming it stayed close to the book, it's basically "threefold law: the movie".

I really liked that movie as a kid. I'd never thought of it that way, but it's definitely true!

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 12:37:10 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;196930
Miyazaki's work.

I'm not familiar with this, but after two recommendations I think I'll be adding some to my collection for when baby boy is older. Thank you!

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 03:28:02 pm »
Quote from: MeadowRae;196962
I'm not familiar with this, but after two recommendations I think I'll be adding some to my collection for when baby boy is older. Thank you!

This article's summaries of his more major films should probably illuminate why:
http://www.indiewire.com/2014/02/from-worst-to-best-ranking-the-films-of-hayao-miyazaki-88842/
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 10:41:14 pm »

Some examples are:

Charlotte's Web
Matilda

Black Cauldron is based on Welsh Mythology.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 03:48:02 pm »
Quote from: MeadowRae;196962

I whole-heartedly recommend his whole catalogue for *everyone to see (the Disney releases/English dubbing are marvelous), but would recommend withholding Mononoke and Nausicaa until maybe reaching double-digit age (more adult themes/imagery).
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 12:52:08 am »

Some examples are:

Charlotte's Web
Matilda

Hercules is a favourite of mine.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Tags: