Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Walking Many Paths (how to?)  (Read 2639 times)

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Re: Walking Many Paths (how to?)
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 03:01:55 pm »
Quote from: Koudelka;196899
Hello again! After contemplating my last thread over I started to ask myself something, and indeed it is about "mixing" different paths.

SO hopefully I won't confuse anyone here.

First of all, do any of you walk different paths at once? Like for me I'm having a hard time, because I want to believe in Celtic things, but at the same time have Egyptian deities.

I want to learn to communicate with my goddess while also still receiving guidance from the celtic path. It's a lot of tug and pull, and I'm confused. Lol. Not to mention the whole Angels thing... but that's for another previous thread! I'd go on, but I think I've said enough. I think you guys will get where I'm coming from with just that.
So any advice, knowledge, etc. please! Thank you!

This is a sensitive subject for me, as I was raised Jewish, and I value that faith highly as part of my life and practice, but I'm also drawn to neopagan forms of religion and mysticism. And Judaism isn't big on that kind of mixing.

That said, I've found what matters is keeping my practice consistent, however my beliefs may shift and change. I may try new things, but I keep certain things stable.

Orthopraxy, not orthodoxy: we're used to thinking of faith as defined by what we believe, but it can also be defined by what we do, regardless of the complicated beliefs behind it.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Koudelka

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 07:46:48 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;197001
Basically, as far as the surviving mythologies would indicate (and my own personal experience, for what that's worth) he's genderqueer and ace.

Oh, heh. Reminds me of wikipedia's info on Bast I checked out a long time ago. Someone said she was known as the "goddess of lesbians". I wanted to punch someone when I read that, not that I have a problem with lesbians, but that makes one stop and go hmmmm. Ya know? Out of curiosity where did you get that info on Anubis? Which mythologies?

Quote from: Darkhawk;197001
So why are you going "Is this for real?" about Egyptian mythology, if you're already using nuanced theological thought for other mythologies?

Also, as Benedict pointed out, different cities have different theologies, and while there was an overarching state religion (which is where Egypt differs from Greece, which was similar) that state religion also changed over time.

Though I'd note after reviewing my references, I haven't come across any legit historical basis for Anup having a consort at all, let alone one of the ones that is listed in a parental role.

Thanks for the reminder on the cities having different ideas, and deities. That's what I meant to say when I was talking about the integrating they tried to do. I can't remember where I read about Bast and Anubis being either related, or together. Probably some source that was trying to just automatically mix Wiccan ideas of the goddess and god with Egyptian gods/esses. Think I'm going to just forget about that tid bit I read, and pretend it never existed until I see something else with actual historical facts on the subject. Well, that clears that up!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:56:01 pm by Koudelka »
My Jedi senses are tingling...

Koudelka

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 08:05:42 pm »
Quote from: Eastling;197018
This is a sensitive subject for me, as I was raised Jewish, and I value that faith highly as part of my life and practice, but I'm also drawn to neopagan forms of religion and mysticism. And Judaism isn't big on that kind of mixing.

That said, I've found what matters is keeping my practice consistent, however my beliefs may shift and change. I may try new things, but I keep certain things stable.

Orthopraxy, not orthodoxy: we're used to thinking of faith as defined by what we believe, but it can also be defined by what we do, regardless of the complicated beliefs behind it.

Ya, it is personal to be asking what others believe in, and I'm not here to bash, or tell anyone they're wrong. I just know that others here have practiced longer than I have, and have learned more than I have on these things.

Orthopraxy, huh? Well, that's something. Made me think on the repeated message "Knowing is not enough, we must do". Something stressed a lot in many books that I've read, and I realize I can analyze all I want, but without experience I have no foundation.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 09:17:01 pm »
Quote from: Koudelka;197023
Out of curiosity where did you get that info on Anubis? Which mythologies?

I basically combed through per-sabu to see if Bezen had anything in there that contradicted my memory.  No information about consorts (plenty of discussion of parentage) and a page in Anupet's section about gender ambiguity.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 02:20:50 am »
Quote from: Koudelka;196987

A Reminder:
Hi Koudelka,

Our rules  generally prohibit editing after more than 2-3 minutes.  (Correcting  typos or minor mistakes is OK, but don't forget to fill in the "Reason  for Editing" box so that we know what's going on.)  This is because  after that long, several people have already read what you've written,  and they won't see the changes you make.  Because of that, they will  have difficulty following the conversation when someone replies to your  new, updated post.

If you need to correct or add anything  significant after those 2-3 minutes, you should just reply to yourself  and give the correction or additional information in the new post.   Double-posting is not considered bad behaviour here, and this will help  keep everyone on the same page, so to speak.

This isn't a formal  warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have  questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of  staff privately.

Thanks!
Morag
TC Forum Staff
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Koudelka

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 03:10:08 am »
Quote from: Morag;197033
A Reminder:
Hi Koudelka,

Our rules  generally prohibit editing after more than 2-3 minutes.  (Correcting  typos or minor mistakes is OK, but don't forget to fill in the "Reason  for Editing" box so that we know what's going on.)  This is because  after that long, several people have already read what you've written,  and they won't see the changes you make.  Because of that, they will  have difficulty following the conversation when someone replies to your  new, updated post.

If you need to correct or add anything  significant after those 2-3 minutes, you should just reply to yourself  and give the correction or additional information in the new post.   Double-posting is not considered bad behaviour here, and this will help  keep everyone on the same page, so to speak.

This isn't a formal  warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have  questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of  staff privately.

Thanks!
Morag
TC Forum Staff

Ah! Sorry! I'll reread my posts more before I submit them from now on!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 04:53:59 pm »
Quote from: Koudelka;197036
Ah! Sorry! I'll reread my posts more before I submit them from now on!

You might also find it helpful to make use of the 'preview post' button (just to the right of the 'submit reply' button under the reply box), which will allow you to see your post as it will look after posting.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: