collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Devotional Tattooing  (Read 4261 times)

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Devotional Tattooing
« on: September 26, 2016, 11:26:43 pm »
I've been thinking a lot about devotional tattooing thanks to my own experiences and aspirations.

What experiences do others have with this practice? Do you have any practical recommendations? Any resources you've found useful?

My own brush with the Power in this practice is fumbling but intense. Back in early April, I was seized with a whim to get a very particular tattoo: a lyric from a song in the musical Hamilton, accompanied by the logo of the show. In retrospect, since I was starting to work with Ishtar-Inanna at the time, it makes sense that I'd get a message of self-sovereignty emblazoned on my back along with a star. But I didn't think about that at the time--instead, I decided that the tattoo would serve as a magical spell to make me "write like you're running out of time." Afterwards, on impulse, I publicly dedicated the tattoo to my experiences with musical theater growing up, and how they'd shaped me as a person.

Days later, while the tattoo was still healing, I received a forceful visit from Dionysos, and He hasn't left ever since. I've been inspired and enthused all the while.

I eventually started to work on a project rooted in ancient Greek mystery religion, and a recent turning point was when Hekate joined the mix of Powers involved as a liminal, key-holding deity who bridged the gap between mystical inspiration and concrete action. Shortly thereafter, the stars seemed to align to give me the financial ease necessary to get the tattoo I envisioned for her. (Loose visual. I still need to work out the details. I do, however, know that I've wanted a tattoo based on a key design for a while now; I just couldn't figure out exactly how the design would go.)

Now I'm considering what I should do to make this devotional act more powerful and effective.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
Re: Devotional Tattooing
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 06:08:35 am »
Quote from: Eastling;196750

What experiences do others have with this practice? Do you have any practical recommendations? Any resources you've found useful?

I can't really give you any advice as I'm new to the pagan world as it is. But I have a tattoo pending and I would like to share my insights if that is ok.
I have been interested in paganism since childhood but I never got actively involved because of my family, friends and (since recently ex-)husband.
I have been going through a very rough time of late and the urge to get a tattoo flared up again. I knew what it needed to be, a stag and a raven. I wasn't connecting it to paganism as such, only as a reminder to never to lose myself in that way again. As I researched the images and underlying feel of the tattoo I started to get drawn into paganism again and things started happening. I started seeing omens and getting signs and I knew the urge to get the tattoo wasn't just a whim. I was being called.

It's been about two months now since I have reconnected with paganism and found my deity. In two weeks I have my first appointment to work out the details on my tattoo. I really can't wait, I'm so excited.

I'd love to hear from others who have devotional tattoos how they went about things. What have you done to prepare yourself and how do you ask your deity to join you in that sacred moment.
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:23:19 am »
Quote from: Eastling;196750
I've been thinking a lot about devotional tattooing thanks to my own experiences and aspirations.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but from the time I was in high school, >41 years ago, I planned on getting (OM) tattoo on my right shoulder (deltoid). I finally did it in 1995, no regrets with it. I have also thought about a small Mjöllnir and the phrase Þórr vigi (may Thor protect/bless) on an arm. Those reflect my main beliefs and devotions.

My advice is to think long and hard, and if the script is non-Latin, for example Greek, runes, Sanskrit, Japanese, etc. be especially careful and diligent to get it right. Before I had ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (ancient Greek, "come take them") done, I pestered every Greek friend to make sure it was correct. I saw a young girl who had a totally nonsensical Sanskrit tattoo on the back of her neck. Not only did it not make sense, nor did she even know what it meant, it was going in the wrong direction.  :yikes:

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:17:10 pm »
Quote from: Jainarayan;196776
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but from the time I was in high school, >41 years ago, I planned on getting (OM) tattoo on my right shoulder (deltoid). I finally did it in 1995, no regrets with it. I have also thought about a small Mjöllnir and the phrase Þórr vigi (may Thor protect/bless) on an arm. Those reflect my main beliefs and devotions.

My advice is to think long and hard, and if the script is non-Latin, for example Greek, runes, Sanskrit, Japanese, etc. be especially careful and diligent to get it right. Before I had ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (ancient Greek, "come take them") done, I pestered every Greek friend to make sure it was correct. I saw a young girl who had a totally nonsensical Sanskrit tattoo on the back of her neck. Not only did it not make sense, nor did she even know what it meant, it was going in the wrong direction.  :yikes:

Oh yeah, that's very important--I have a Japanese character as part of my first tattoo and I looked it up in various places first. That one wasn't a religious devotion but rather a fandom one, but I still wanted to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 02:48:13 pm »
Quote from: Eastling;196778
Oh yeah, that's very important--I have a Japanese character as part of my first tattoo and I looked it up in various places first. That one wasn't a religious devotion but rather a fandom one, but I still wanted to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... Tats Are Forever® (unless you can afford laser removal - ouch! :yikes:). I have a tribal tat that I'm not so sure of anymore. It was done with the intention of honoring the native peoples of the Americas. But some people think it's cultural appropriation. :ashamed:

keen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • rotwork
  • Religion: fringe devotional polytheism, animism, spirit-working
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 12:49:23 pm »

Now I'm considering what I should do to make this devotional act more powerful and effective.

I have devotional tattoos in honor of Miro and Mano, a pair of gods/powers that have, long story short, seem to be unknown to the modern world. The tattoos use symbols that are no longer quite so relevant to my relationship with them now (I got the tattoos about 5 years ago) but as a tool they still work.

I think of devotional tattooing as ritual/magical technology more than just decoration, something little better than a bumper sticker. In literally putting their images under my skin, my signal clarity improved, and they had better access to the inner workings of my physical body and my mind. I could partly owe this to a phenomenon I've wound up calling 'autoaugury', the experience of manifesting omens that originate from within your own body, and the practice of interpreting them. For instance, I've found that nosebleeds tend to strongly correlate with certain specific messages from my gods and spirits.

As for how to make the tattooing act more spiritually significant (not necessarily for the OP, since this is an old dern thread), I would say treat it like any other Very Important Ritual, and lay the appropriate groundwork. Do divination, make appropriate offerings, pay close attention to any taboos you might need to observe in the lead-up to getting the ink (though I would not recommend fasting for obvious reasons; though abstaining from, say, meat or seasonings often fall under the same umbrella and can achieve similar results). Getting tattooed can be an extremely powerful experience, and due to the endorphins the body produces in response to the pain, you could even approach it like an altered or trance state -  a sort of initiation into your god's mysteries.
rotwork: on devotion to lesser-known and un-known gods, transplanting genus loci, art, and modernity

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 01:58:25 pm »

Both of my tattoos I consider devotional, though one is also definitely a celebration of something I am a fan of.

I will agree that any other languages, make sure they say what you intend them to say.

I thought long and hard before my first tattoo, based on all the warnings about permanence, since it was based on an RPG I was playing.  My personal feeling is:  my tattoos represent things that are important to me.  Even if those things change, they are a snapshot of what was important to me when I got them.  I still love the RPG, but I don't get to play it as much.  It was a cheap tattoo, and it's not so clear anymore.  Hubby offered to see if we could get a coverup, but I still love it.  Even when I'm old, and my skin starts to change, and the images might become muddy, they are a part of me.  (your mileage may vary)

I do like devotional tattoos because I am leaving a mark on myself of what is important to me.  It is a reminder of who I am, and what matters.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 06:19:20 pm »
I think of devotional tattooing as ritual/magical technology more than just decoration, something little better than a bumper sticker. In literally putting their images under my skin, my signal clarity improved, and they had better access to the inner workings of my physical body and my mind. I could partly owe this to a phenomenon I've wound up calling 'autoaugury', the experience of manifesting omens that originate from within your own body, and the practice of interpreting them. For instance, I've found that nosebleeds tend to strongly correlate with certain specific messages from my gods and spirits.

Interesting! I did find that devotional tattooing seemed to give my gods more access to my body. When I eventually got a tattoo on my right arm dedicated to my more recent Power, it seemed to enhance his ability to channel through me. I haven't noticed any specific symptoms that serve as omens, though--it might be worth keeping an eye on that.

As for how to make the tattooing act more spiritually significant (not necessarily for the OP, since this is an old dern thread)

I'm still getting devotional tattoos, though. ;) I have a few more planned already...
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Tags: