Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What is Yahweh?  (Read 4436 times)

Koudelka

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
What is Yahweh?
« on: September 25, 2016, 07:28:03 pm »
I've been mulling around in my head an idea.. What if Yahweh is just a principle?

A principle is:
1. an accepted or professed rule of action or conduct
2. a fundamental, primary, or general law or truth from which others are derived
3. a fundamental doctrine or tenet; a distinctive ruling opinion

That sound right to any of you? What are your thoughts?
My Jedi senses are tingling...

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: What is Yahweh?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:19:23 pm »
Quote from: Koudelka;196646
I've been mulling around in my head an idea.. What if Yahweh is just a principle?

A principle is:
2. a fundamental, primary, or general law or truth from which others are derived

I don't see it, personally. In what way do you think Yahweh is one of those things? I don't think he'd qualify as a rule of conduct unto himself, nor a fundamental truth or doctrine in my theology.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Koudelka

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 09:43:42 pm »
Quote from: Jack;196650
I don't see it, personally. In what way do you think Yahweh is one of those things? I don't think he'd qualify as a rule of conduct unto himself, nor a fundamental truth or doctrine in my theology.

I actually kind of feel bad for starting this topic now. Lol. You can't be like "you're deity is merely just a principle" to someone that believes in it as an entity with a mind of it's own.

This is more directed at those that think the same way. I apologize to those of you that would be offended by the idea. Oopsie!

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:00:34 pm »
Quote from: Koudelka;196651
I actually kind of feel bad for starting this topic now. Lol. You can't be like "you're deity is merely just a principle" to someone that believes in it as an entity with a mind of it's own.

This is more directed at those that think the same way. I apologize to those of you that would be offended by the idea. Oopsie!
No apologies needed, I just was looking for an understanding of what you meant. I don't think of Yahweh as any different from any other deity in a lot of ways.

Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 10:08:59 pm »

A principle is:

I genuinely don't understand the premise.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 10:17:48 am »

I think Hashem is someone else's god and not my problem, and coming up with theologies for hypothetical other people's gods is interesting in fiction but not really worthwhile in reality outside of some context where it has some relevance.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Koudelka

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 04:06:28 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;196666
I think Hashem is someone else's god and not my problem, and coming up with theologies for hypothetical other people's gods is interesting in fiction but not really worthwhile in reality outside of some context where it has some relevance.

Well I was asking for science's sake, but I realized the mistake after I posted it, so sorry about that. I really don't wanna ruffle any feathers! :eek:
You are right though. What is the point?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:11:26 pm by Koudelka »

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 05:09:38 pm »
Quote from: Koudelka;196687
Well I was asking for science's sake, but I realized the mistake after I posted it, so sorry about that. I really don't wanna ruffle any feathers! :eek:

It's not offensive. I'm just not sure anyone knows what you're actually trying to say.  And, well, not a topic with a lot of relevance for most pagans anyway. :}

There is no "for science's sake" unless you have a testable proposition.  Science is not wholly irrelevant to religious issues, but it's definitely not the right mode for a complete cloud castle philosophical what if.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 11:45:50 pm »

A principle is:

This isn't entirely an invalid take on the Jewish supreme deity, if that's Who you're referring to--but it would take a lot more fleshing out to be a very useful descriptor. And, I note, in doing the fleshing out, you'd be best off researching Jewish sources.

If you're really interested in the idea of the different ways Hashem can be personified or not, rather than getting too upset about making the post, I'd suggest reading some Kabbalah. My favorite resource for it is Daniel C. Matt's The Essential Kabbalah: The Heart of Jewish Mysticism.

Certainly, Hashem is intimately linked to the giving of laws, which can themselves be seen as the ultimate form of Principle. But that's got a cultural context which can't be removed from it, as well.

Quote from: Jack;196652
I don't think of Yahweh as any different from any other deity in a lot of ways.

Bingo!

All practicing Jews should argue with Hashem about something, and my biggest point of contention with Him is His solipsism in claiming to be so different from other Powers. [/blasphemy]
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 04:53:14 am »
What are your thoughts?

I am interested in, how ancient pagans approached the Jewish god. Most of them accepted the claim, that Jews worshipped the Supreme Being. For pagans, that didn't exclude the existence of lesser deities. Nor did it exclude the existence of lesser deities for pre-exilic Jews, as attested in old Jewish hymns, like Psalms 29, 82 and 138 (Hebrew enumeration). Strict monotheism was a post-exilic development.

The oracle dedicated to Apollo in Claros once explained, that the Jewish god reveals itself as Jupiter/Zeus in spring, the Sol/Helios in summer, Liber/Dionysus in autumn and Dis/Hades in winter. The planet associated to the Jewish god is Saturn.

A point on which ancient pagans and Jews didn't agree was the translateability of the Jewish God. While the Greek and the Romans were accustomed, that most deities are translatable into other languages (as per the Zeus = Jupiter pattern), Jews insisted that YHWH isn't known among other peoples, and thus non-translateable.

There is a Sikh saying: 'Some say Rama, some say ar-Rahman'. I share that approach to the Supreme Being. It doesn't matter if you call it Allah, YHWH, Isis, To Hen, Zeus Hypsistos, Jupiter Ammon, Kneph or Ik Onkar - there is only one Supreme Being (and many intermediate deities).

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 12:29:05 pm »

A principle is:

That is the Qabalistic view.
"Yahweh" is the mis-pronunciation of YHVH which represents the entirety of creation.

Koudelka

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 02:24:59 am »
Quote from: Wimsaur;196960
That is the Qabalistic view.
"Yahweh" is the mis-pronunciation of YHVH which represents the entirety of creation.

Well I'm glad I took the time to come back and read this thread! I feel less ignorant now! Hah! Thank you all! I call this thread ajourned/case closed.... Unless you guys find it interesting to talk about hehe. If so proceed.

Goddess_Ashtara

• Journeyman
  • DINGIR NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Nexion 3127
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 08:49:14 pm »
What is Yahweh?

In my spiritual-religious system, YHVH is worshipped as the supreme God among many gods and godlike beings, having attained that position by rising up against primordial chaos and emerging victorious... and is revered as the ultimate power of Creation and Destruction, and the cosmic embodiment of ultimate Order over ultimate Chaos.

𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨
NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨

Tags: