collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Moving and New Beginnings  (Read 4908 times)

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
Moving and New Beginnings
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:02:23 am »
Long story short, my S/O and I have broken up and I'm having a hell of a time finding a new place to live.

When I eventually do find a place, what are your thoughts on heathen-ish blessings or traditions for cultivating a happy hearth and home?

I'm from PA Dutch country and have liked hex signs for a long time. So I think this may be a good opportunity to spring for one.

Other thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
Re: Moving and New Beginnings
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 01:22:15 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;196614
Long story short, my S/O and I have broken up and I'm having a hell of a time finding a new place to live.

When I eventually do find a place, what are your thoughts on heathen-ish blessings or traditions for cultivating a happy hearth and home?

I'm from PA Dutch country and have liked hex signs for a long time. So I think this may be a good opportunity to spring for one.

Other thoughts?

I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Claude Lecouteux's 'The Tradition of Household Spirits'. There's a wealth of information in there on ancient practices regarding exactly this topic

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 05:30:27 pm »

Good luck with the search. I'm originally from PA and I think springing for a hex sign is an awesome idea.

New places get swept out, recaned and wards put up. Most of my warding is not heathen, though. XD

We have a kitchen shrine with a small spirit house, so when we leave the current place we'll make offerings of thanks to the house wights and local spirits and welcome anyone who wants to travel with us, and then in the new place we'll install it in the kitchen, make offerings to the folks who came any the folks in the new place. (off the top of my head, stuff like milk, bread, eggs, honey, or produce)

When we moved into the current place I also walked around getting to know the neighborhood, noting stuff like the big tree that shades our house, how close we are to the river, what kind of plants grow wild nearby, stuff like that, and made offerings to the nature spirits outside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 05:41:45 pm »

Sorry about the breakup; I'm going through the same thing, minus the search or a new place to live, thankfully. Best of luck with both, HB.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 08:02:34 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;196622
I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Claude Lecouteux's 'The Tradition of Household Spirits'. There's a wealth of information in there on ancient practices regarding exactly this topic
Great, thank you!

"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 08:04:26 pm »
Quote from: Jack;196640
When we moved into the current place I also walked around getting to know the neighborhood, noting stuff like the big tree that shades our house, how close we are to the river, what kind of plants grow wild nearby, stuff like that, and made offerings to the nature spirits outside.

I like this in particular. I think we (I) tend to underestimate our forget the benefit of just walking the neighborhood.

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 08:08:11 pm »
Quote from: Altair;196642
Sorry about the breakup; I'm going through the same thing, minus the search or a new place to live, thankfully. Best of luck with both, HB.
Thank you very much, Altair. All things considered, the housing issue is overriding the breakup itself in terms of stress. Competition for affordable housing that is neither a sh*t hole nor in the boonies is unbelievably fierce.

Wishing you peace as well.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 08:49:41 pm »

Quote from: Altair;196642

Off-topic: (((HB))) (((Altair)))

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 09:55:40 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;196730
Off-topic: (((HB))) (((Altair)))

Sunflower
You're the best. :)

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 09:58:51 pm »
When I eventually do find a place

Got a place today! Giving a deposit day after tomorrow, so here's hoping everything remains kosher until then. At this point nothing would surprise me!

dragonflydreamer68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: druidism
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 03:45:25 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;196791
Got a place today! Giving a deposit day after tomorrow, so here's hoping everything remains kosher until then. At this point nothing would surprise me!

congats, hoping everything goes smoothly for you

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 11:29:41 pm »
Quote from: dragonflydreamer68;196816
congats, hoping everything goes smoothly for you

Thank you. Dropped off the deposit today!

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 11:30:37 pm »

I was thinking about decor today... and this is certainly in the realm of the syncretic, but thoughts about knotwork or other heathen-ish prayer flags? Along the lines of this or this?

There is some precedent for banners or flags or pennants, although mostly for battle? See The Viking Answer Lady and the Viking Age Compendium.

Elding

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 08:22:16 am »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;196886
I was thinking about decor today... and this is certainly in the realm of the syncretic, but thoughts about knotwork or other heathen-ish prayer flags? Along the lines of this or this?

There is some precedent for banners or flags or pennants, although mostly for battle? See The Viking Answer Lady and the Viking Age Compendium.

I'd suggest researching tapestries rather than flags specifically. Flags *are* very much about battle, marking a location and such - I can easily see how there might've been magic involved with them back in the day, too, but for household magic I think tapestries are a better google term.

If you can work with thread and weave the tapestry yourself, you can do so with the intent of creating a spell that protects the home.
Out in the woods, and I\'m not alone, but the sun\'s quickly going down!
There! In the trees! Something stalking me! Stop walking around!
\'K, just be cool, don\'t be such a fool! There is nothing at all to fear...
... other than the trees and the night and a beam of light, and the breathing in my ear...
[/I]

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft/Gaelic polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 10:20:24 am »
Quote from: Elding;197414

If you can work with thread and weave the tapestry yourself, you can do so with the intent of creating a spell that protects the home.

This is a great idea.

Ugh, break ups are awful but can be bitter sweet too. Sending positive vibes your way, Belle!
"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people."

- W.B. Yeats

Tags: