Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Travel: Travel: Altair is in Canada  (Read 5309 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Travel: Altair is in Canada
« on: September 24, 2016, 06:27:06 pm »
Sunflower, Morag, Mama Fortuna, et al:

I'm in Canadia! But the signs I've seen have all had a typo in it; they left out the "i". Clearly you guys need more proofreaders. ;)

I'm in Ottawa for the first time ever, just having a good time. (Though secretly I was sent as an agent of Big Gay to use my masculine powers of conversion to turn Justin Trudeau and lure him south, where we can keep him. Because...well, you all know the cliff your neighbor is racing towards in terms of executive leadership.)

So I'm waving hello from closer than usual. That is all.

[And also noting for the first time that The Cauldron doesn't have a section devoted to member's travel tales.]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:19:48 am by RandallS »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Travel: Altair is in Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 06:56:36 pm »
Quote from: Altair;196592
(Though secretly I was sent as an agent of Big Gay to use my masculine powers of conversion to turn Justin Trudeau and lure him south, where we can keep him. Because...well, you all know the cliff your neighbor is racing towards in terms of executive leadership.)

You need to start raising your own Trudeaus, instead of trying to steal ours.

So I'm waving hello from closer than usual. That is all.

Not even enough closer to make a material difference. Some day you need to visit this side of Canada - I already have a list of geeky sightseeing that I'd take you on ifwhen you came to Calgary!

[And also noting for the first time that The Cauldron doesn't have a section devoted to member's travel tales.]

There is the Travelers' Lounge social group, though like most of the social groups it's pretty dormant (too easy to forget they exist, since their posts don't show up on 'read new posts'). You seem to have found the most appropriate place in the forums, though. (I note, however, that the Sports and Recreation forum's description appears to cover travel of an outdoorsy nature only - something should probably be done about that, if only expanding the forum description a bit.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 08:58:04 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;196593

I'm trying hard to scrub my mind of the image that came to mind when I read this -- probably caused by having watched Food, Inc. recently.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 11:08:58 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;196597
I'm trying hard to scrub my mind of the image that came to mind when I read this -- probably caused by having watched Food, Inc. recently.

Is it appropriate to make a Hannibal joke here?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 11:29:10 pm »
Quote from: Altair;196592

You seem to have found the most appropriate place in the forums, though. (I note, however, that the Sports and Recreation forum's description appears to cover travel of an outdoorsy nature only - something should probably be done about that, if only expanding the forum description a bit.)

And as you can see if you look, this has been done. (We can't always manage to do things as fast as that, though we'd like to; it depends on how staff and host logins weave together - in this case, really well.)

Thank you for noticing this, Altair! Once you'd mentioned it, it was a really obvious gap.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 07:20:08 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;196602

Thank you for noticing this, Altair! Once you'd mentioned it, it was a really obvious gap.

Sunflower

It's aboat time, eh?
(Working on my accent, in case I have to abruptly relocate north after November...)

Seriously though, I can't believe I didn't notice either, until now. And, um, I do travel writing. Oops.

Speaking of which, as part of the gig that's brought me to Ottawa, I'm posting photos on my Facebook page that are for public viewing:
https://www.facebook.com/christian.cooper1
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 12:24:42 pm »
Quote from: Altair;196613
It's aboat time, eh?
(Working on my accent, in case I have to abruptly relocate north after November...)

Not allowed.. we expect to get flooded unless we do something to stop all the illegal immigrants coming north into Canada. so we're building a wall.
:P

Born Again Pagan

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 01:38:38 pm »

Not even enough closer to make a material difference. Some day you need to visit this side of Canada - I already have a list of geeky sightseeing that I'd take you on ifwhen you came to Calgary!

There is the Travelers' Lounge social group, though like most of the social groups it's pretty dormant (too easy to forget they exist, since their posts don't show up on 'read new posts'). You seem to have found the most appropriate place in the forums, though. (I note, however, that the Sports and Recreation forum's description appears to cover travel of an outdoorsy nature only - something should probably be done about that, if only expanding the forum description a bit.)

Sunflower

Calgary? What's a Calgary?  I was walking on the beach here in the Dominican Republic with a friend from Toronto.  We met a couple fro Calgary and the man started to talk to my Toronto friend. "You know what we think of people from Toronto in Calgary?"  He asked my friend, and instead of trying to answer my friend said "You know what we in Toronto think of people from Calgary?, Nothing we never heard of you."

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 02:29:44 pm »
Quote from: Vitkyng;196619
Not allowed.. we expect to get flooded unless we do something to stop all the illegal immigrants coming north into Canada. so we're building a wall.
:P

That's going to be a mighty long wall. Much longer than the one Trump promises Mexico will pay for. Whose paying for your wall? Forget that question, I'm more interested in how you are going to built a wall down the middle of Lake Superior, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, and Lake Ontario? Lake Eire is shallow so that might not be too much trouble, but I want to see that Lake Superior wall. :)
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 02:45:06 pm »
Speaking of which, as part of the gig that's brought me to Ottawa, I'm posting photos on my Facebook page that are for public viewing:

Those are beautiful!  I'm geeking ever so slightly over the Star Trek poster.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 05:39:35 pm »

Some day you need to visit this side of Canada - I already have a list of geeky sightseeing that I'd take you on ifwhen you came to Calgary!

This is an awesome and tempting offer, BTW--you are too kind! Plus I'd finally get to meet you. But I'd have to insist that a handsome, strapping cowboy fresh from the Stampede be waiting for me at the end of the night!

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 07:01:35 pm »
It's aboat time, eh?

A-Boot, Altair. It's aboot time!

(...I think. I don't know, I'm a West Coast girl, I talk like .)

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 03:38:32 am »
Quote from: RandallS;196627
That's going to be a mighty long wall. Much longer than the one Trump promises Mexico will pay for. Whose paying for your wall? Forget that question, I'm more interested in how you are going to built a wall down the middle of Lake Superior, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, and Lake Ontario? Lake Eire is shallow so that might not be too much trouble, but I want to see that Lake Superior wall. :)

LOL I didn't say it was a tall wall.   Pool floats?

It's about as well thought out as Trumps plan.  The difference.   No one actually believes me, whereas millions of idiots believe Trump.  

Side note: I lived in southern Alberta for awhile.  I have actually accidentally crossed the  border while out storm chasing.  It is that easy on the back roads, the actual sign is smaller than a no parking sign.    You learn just to have your passport in your coat pocket so you can cross back at an actual crossing.

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 04:14:07 pm »

Not so public that I can see them without signing in. Which I will do later, on the other 'puter (and probably send you a friend request while I'm there).

Sunflower

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 04:29:52 pm »
Quote from: Altair;196641
This is an awesome and tempting offer, BTW--you are too kind! Plus I'd finally get to meet you. But I'd have to insist that a handsome, strapping cowboy fresh from the Stampede be waiting for me at the end of the night!

Oh, that's gonna be a tough order to fill; I see that ARGRA has gone under. So I'm afraid you'll have to do your own flirting. I'll add some suitable venues to the Sightseeing List (though they're as likely as not to be places for me to tell you about, rather than take you, obvs - there's a lot of crossover in the various queer communities here, so that'd vary, but I also wouldn't want to cramp your style); I don't guarantee that you'll find any cowboys, but you can probably manage the 'handsome, strapping' part.

Sunflower

Tags: