Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Help Finding Gods From A Mix Culture American  (Read 955 times)

Occulto

• View Profile
Help Finding Gods From A Mix Culture American
« on: September 24, 2016, 02:49:57 pm »
Please read: This question is a little different as I already know what gods I resonate with; my ancestor's. That's the problem.

I am 50% Dutch, 12% German, 12% Russian, 12% Welsh (my last name is Welsh), and 12% Irish - according to my parents (I have not done a genealogy test yet). I have always been obsessed with my heritage and tradition, and I want to venerate it and respect it by worshiping their gods. How do I go about this without trailing to far out of tradition? Would low-lands paganism be my best bet? Germanic, since I am about 62% Germanic? I want to include Welsh somehow because my last name is Welsh, and some of my coolest ancestors were Russian and Irish as well. I really don't want to create my own thing by throwing god/esses in and making up my own, because I tried that and it didn't work. I am not looking to be told what to do, I only want advice.

Bonus: for whatever reason I look Asian (everyone tells me this, I would send a picture but I prefer anonymity) despite being 100% white. Is there any way I can make my European ancestry more noticeable without telling everyone I meet and not looking/ acting loony?

Much thanks in advance

Koudelka

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Help Finding Gods From A Mix Culture American
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 02:59:48 pm »
Quote from: Occulto;196588
Please read: This question is a little different as I already know what gods I resonate with; my ancestor's. That's the problem.

I am 50% Dutch, 12% German, 12% Russian, 12% Welsh (my last name is Welsh), and 12% Irish - according to my parents (I have not done a genealogy test yet). I have always been obsessed with my heritage and tradition, and I want to venerate it and respect it by worshiping their gods. How do I go about this without trailing to far out of tradition? Would low-lands paganism be my best bet? Germanic, since I am about 62% Germanic? I want to include Welsh somehow because my last name is Welsh, and some of my coolest ancestors were Russian and Irish as well. I really don't want to create my own thing by throwing god/esses in and making up my own, because I tried that and it didn't work. I am not looking to be told what to do, I only want advice.

Bonus: for whatever reason I look Asian (everyone tells me this, I would send a picture but I prefer anonymity) despite being 100% white. Is there any way I can make my European ancestry more noticeable without telling everyone I meet and not looking/ acting loony?

Much thanks in advance

Well, your ancestors might not have even been pagan, but I understand wanting to start with roots, and build from what culture is there. Maybe you should look around at different deities based on what attracts you, and see if one calls to you?
My Jedi senses are tingling...

Occulto

• View Profile
Re: Help Finding Gods From A Mix Culture American
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 03:09:14 pm »
Quote from: Koudelka;196589
Well, your ancestors might not have even been pagan, but I understand wanting to start with roots, and build from what culture is there. Maybe you should look around at different deities based on what attracts you, and see if one calls to you?

Through much deliberation I concluded that paganism is probably the best way to go, as it also suits my magickal and occult purposes.

I know that I would add a few gods that may not be in the pantheon of my ancestors, and I would add Gnostic and Occult concepts to my workings.

One deity has called me, and he is a recently created egregor that has only existed less than a year. He is described as "the darkness before the dawn" and a bringer of war and destruction for a peaceful era.

Tags: