Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: ADF experiences  (Read 3620 times)

GrayEyes

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
ADF experiences
« on: September 21, 2016, 08:37:53 pm »
I'm looking at the ADF and just wanted to hear from folks' experiences. I looked at them about six years ago and I'm looking again. I live near an active grove and I was thinking about joining them this weekend, until I saw that it's an all day event. My partner is working overnights this week and my schedule has been hectic so an all day event on my day off isn't in the cards when I need to sleep, sadly.

I looked at OBOD and I have too many ideologic problems with most meso-druidry to be very comfortable/happy with it and, honestly, a lot of the members' writings are too dualistic for me. If you want more details on my problems with meso-druidry, feel free to ask. They're a combination of deeply personal and intellectual, but they definitely interfere with my ability to connect with what they talk about.

I consider myself to functionally be a semi-recon Irish reconstructionist, or a polytheist with recon bends, while not marrying myself to that structure. I'm primarily looking to work deeper into a path while working within a community rather than solitary. I'm totally open to shifting my approach, but especially with a community I can connect with. I'm also open to other druidic organizations.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: ADF experiences
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 12:32:51 am »
Quote from: GrayEyes;196537
I consider myself to functionally be a semi-recon Irish reconstructionist, or a polytheist with recon bends, while not marrying myself to that structure. I'm primarily looking to work deeper into a path while working within a community rather than solitary. I'm totally open to shifting my approach, but especially with a community I can connect with. I'm also open to other druidic organizations.

If you're looking for community, and you have a local ADF group, I would say it's definitely worth going to an event or two and seeing if you click - IMO the best thing about ADF is the way it functions in locales with a reasonably sized, active grove. If you don't want to wait for the next holiday, see if you can get in touch with someone in the grove and ask if they do any kind of open meetings or drop-in study group. If you get along with the folks in the grove, ADF sounds like a good match for what you mention you're looking for.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 07:52:44 am »
Quote from: GrayEyes;196537
I'm looking at the ADF and just wanted to hear from folks' experiences..

I echo the previous sentiment about attending the local scene and seeing if you fit in.

My experience with ADF was mixed.  I could write an essay on it.  But the main point I want to convey: At the national level, ADF comes across as a lumbering bureaucracy.  It's various forums and internal mailing lists are filled with contentious people who like to argue about nothing.   Most of the people in ADF who seem happy are happy because they fit in with a local scene.

fatcatspats

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 12:42:55 pm »

I looked at OBOD and I have too many ideologic problems with most meso-druidry to be very comfortable/happy with it and, honestly, a lot of the members' writings are too dualistic for me.

I had the same reservations about OBOD, and as a result I didn't look into ADF too much for a while, assuming it was basically the same thing.  I was 100% wrong.  ADF is super orthopraxic, and I've been a member for nine months, and I love it.  The ADF vision page gives a good overview. https://www.adf.org/about/basics/vision.html

Tags: