Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Seminarians caught using Grindr in Ireland  (Read 6761 times)

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Seminarians caught using Grindr in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 10:34:35 pm »
Quote from: Castus;195894
http://www.newsweek.com/catholic-church-investigates-claims-priests-use-grindr-493483

An unfortunate scandal.

At least this Catholic sex scandal didn't involve child abuse. It's almost an improvement.

Jokes aside, yeah, using Grindr is a pretty inappropriate thing to do for Catholic seminarians and priests. Celibacy is difficult for most people, and this culture bombards people with sexual imagery in the media, and makes casual sexual encounters easily accessible through smartphone apps. The temptation is too much for some, evidently.

Using gay sex apps was pretty common among the Anglican "seminarians" I knew, and no one really cared. No wonder so many former Catholics become Anglican priests.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 11:16:46 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;195935
At least this Catholic sex scandal didn't involve child abuse. It's almost an improvement.

Almost? While I can't say I have much sympathy for these guys, they *were* seeking out consenting adult partners. That's just not the same thing as abusing a child. It's not even in the same ballpark. Breaking a vow is not good, but it is NOT the same as pedophilia.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 11:12:30 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;195939
Almost? While I can't say I have much sympathy for these guys, they *were* seeking out consenting adult partners. That's just not the same thing as abusing a child. It's not even in the same ballpark. Breaking a vow is not good, but it is NOT the same as pedophilia.

I forget this is the internet and some people will take snide remarks super literally. I didn't mean it's on the same level as pedophilia, I was just trying to imply that using Grindr is on the more mild end of the spectrum compared to other Catholic sex scandals among the clergy.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 11:23:58 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;195988
I forget this is the internet and some people will take snide remarks super literally. I didn't mean it's on the same level as pedophilia, I was just trying to imply that using Grindr is on the more mild end of the spectrum compared to other Catholic sex scandals among the clergy.
Maybe we should revive the call for a sarcasm tag...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 06:10:04 am »
Quote from: Demophon;195988

Definitely milder than that whole pedo thing (as well as other non-sex things like, y'know, the Inquisition.)  

But maybe not as mild as wearing a robe and drinking wine on a Sunday morning (but also, not as fun.)  

[sentence redacted due to concerns that salty snarkasm might be confused with throbbing crudity.]
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 06:12:12 am »
Quote from: Jack;195991
Maybe we should revive the call for a sarcasm tag...

#snarkasm

Let's make it trend
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 07:23:23 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;196028
Definitely milder than that whole pedo thing (as well as other non-sex things like, y'know, the Inquisition.)  

But maybe not as mild as wearing a robe and drinking wine on a Sunday morning (but also, not as fun.)  

[sentence redacted due to concerns that salty snarkasm might be confused with throbbing crudity.]

Not as fun? Perhaps your not doing it right.

Also note your use of the word throbbing.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 07:58:22 am »
Quote from: Yei;196030
Not as fun? Perhaps your not doing it right.

Probably.  I'd rather do Scotch instead of wine.  And hang the robe, just go pantless.  

But hey, diff'rent strokes.  Heh heh.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

CoraFrost

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 09:06:17 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;195939

That's kinda where I'm at. How is this news? (other than to serve as yet another example of why forced celibacy and sexual shaming is not productive).

One of my best friends from childhood is a priest and I know he's had some lady suitors. I don't know if he ever slept with them, but they were more than spiritual companions. There was an intimate emotional connection at the very least. We're created for connection (IMO).
I\'m a white witch... but only between Memorial and Labor Day. ;)

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 09:37:01 am »
Quote from: CoraFrost;196034
That's kinda where I'm at. How is this news? (other than to serve as yet another example of why forced celibacy and sexual shaming is not productive).

I believe, that for a chosen few - like Buddhist monastics, Christian monastics and some Hindus with adult children - vocational celibacy serves a very useful purpose, but I think, that Catholic churches of Eastern rites handle the issue much better than the Roman church: In many cases eastern clergy are married. The monastic vocation is held to be separate from the clerical vocation, although it may coincide for some individuals.

What is useful in some religions might be a hindrance for persons of another religions. Take alcohol as an example: Jews are obliged by their religion to become really pissed - more than just squiffy, at least - when they celebrate Purim, while Moslems and Theravada-buddhists are supposed to avoid alcohol entirely.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 12:48:12 pm »
Quote from: RecycledBenedict;196037
I believe, that for a chosen few - like Buddhist monastics, Christian monastics and some Hindus with adult children - vocational celibacy serves a very useful purpose, but I think, that Catholic churches of Eastern rites handle the issue much better than the Roman church: In many cases eastern clergy are married. The monastic vocation is held to be separate from the clerical vocation, although it may coincide for some individuals.

What is useful in some religions might be a hindrance for persons of another religions. Take alcohol as an example: Jews are obliged by their religion to become really pissed - more than just squiffy, at least - when they celebrate Purim, while Moslems and Theravada-buddhists are supposed to avoid alcohol entirely.

This.

I'd also note that Catholic priests are hardly "forced" to be celibate. It's not like they didn't know they would be giving up sex when they entered the seminary. It was their choice to do that.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: Male
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 04:07:49 pm »
Quote from: CoraFrost;196034

One of my best friends from childhood is a priest and I know he's had some lady suitors. I don't know if he ever slept with them, but they were more than spiritual companions. There was an intimate emotional connection at the very least. We're created for connection (IMO).

What makes me feel the most sad is that its the gay thing that seems to be the issue.

It just gives me gay hating vibes.....

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 04:34:46 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;196042
This.

I'd also note that Catholic priests are hardly "forced" to be celibate. It's not like they didn't know they would be giving up sex when they entered the seminary. It was their choice to do that.

I'm not convinced that it's a fully informed choice, however. Yes, they're told that it's A Thing that should be adhered to...but I haven't gotten the impression that there is much in the way of actual discussion as to the personal costs/difficulties that arise when the human animal must stomp* on one of the most primal of biological drives.

* Not applicable (I think) to those folks who are on the asexual end of the spectrum. Y'all seem to have a different but related row to hoe as it's not a matter of suppressing but rather of existing in a society where your normal is viewed as abnormal**.

** I view it thru the lens of the social model of disability since I think that the fundamental assumption is mostly true no matter what we're talking about: There's nothing wrong with the person, rather the problem comes from with how society handles/reacts to said person.

(Oh gods, nested footnotes!)
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 04:41:40 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;196049
I'm not convinced that it's a fully informed choice, however. Yes, they're told that it's A Thing that should be adhered to...but I haven't gotten the impression that there is much in the way of actual discussion as to the personal costs/difficulties that arise when the human animal must stomp* on one of the most primal of biological drives.

* Not applicable (I think) to those folks who are on the asexual end of the spectrum. Y'all seem to have a different but related row to hoe as it's not a matter of suppressing but rather of existing in a society where your normal is viewed as abnormal**.

** I view it thru the lens of the social model of disability since I think that the fundamental assumption is mostly true no matter what we're talking about: There's nothing wrong with the person, rather the problem comes from with how society handles/reacts to said person.

(Oh gods, nested footnotes!)

That is true. I'm one of those on the Ace spectrum, so I admit I'm approaching this with my own biases.

Tags: