Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Pleasing the gods, and feeling unconnected.  (Read 1261 times)

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Pleasing the gods, and feeling unconnected.
« on: August 30, 2016, 07:03:39 pm »
Hallo,
Its been a while since I've been here with you caring people. I've been busy with school(just starting my junior year). Now thats out of the way, I have two problems right now circling my mind for the past few days. I mentioned before in another post, that I tried fasting under Woden/Woten/Odin's name, but I broke it almost everyday(to those who don't know, Muslim fasting is very strict). And I felt like I failed him. For Epona, I tried honoring her by giving a go with a stealth shrine in my room on my dresser( I can't but any real things to represent a horse or Epona because my parents would catch on I have a shrine to another god). I set it up like this, metal cup with a paper towel underneath to catch the ashes since I burn inscents in the cup in Epona's honor(I now have a rusted horse shoe around the cup, originally it was a really crappy torc made out of a hanger). I haven't burn inscents in a while I feel like I am dishonoring the gods, and especially Woden/Woten/Odin since I failed my fast, any way I can make it up to him.

Secondly, since I'm busy with school I'm having a hard time feeling connected( probably not the right word) spiritually with the gods, and feel uneasy.  Also have fun picking apart my terrible grammar
Sincerely,
A Mongolian Cow
P.S, any tips on Epona stealth shrine.

TheRaginPagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Pleasing the gods, and feeling unconnected.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 07:57:27 pm »
Quote from: MongolianCow;195690
I tried fasting under Woden/Woten/Odin's name, but I broke it almost everyday(to those who don't know, Muslim fasting is very strict). And I felt like I failed him.

Afraid I don't know much about Epona, past that she's Gaulish (I think).

For Odin/Woden, keep in mind that the Northern Gods love to feast. My most successful offerings tend to be those with alcohol or food offerings. I understand this might be difficult or impossible to do with a Muslim family, though. But I don't believe that a fast would be a good way to catch the eye of the Allfather.

A better offering to do for him would be poetry or writing; anything that you have created. Odin loves tales - telling and hearing - as much as he loves mead, so this is a very good way for you to make him an offering while also staying away from your family's attention. Because it was asked in the American Asatru Association, I would advise against making an offering of the runes, though; Odin gave the runes to us humans, so it would be a bad offering to "re-gift" them to him.

Best of luck!

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 12:40:00 am »
Hallo,
Its been a while since I've been here with you caring people. I've been busy with school(just starting my junior year). Now thats out of the way, I have two problems right now circling my mind for the past few days. I mentioned before in another post, that I tried fasting under Woden/Woten/Odin's name, but I broke it almost everyday(to those who don't know, Muslim fasting is very strict). And I felt like I failed him. For Epona, I tried honoring her by giving a go with a stealth shrine in my room on my dresser( I can't but any real things to represent a horse or Epona because my parents would catch on I have a shrine to another god). I set it up like this, metal cup with a paper towel underneath to catch the ashes since I burn inscents in the cup in Epona's honor(I now have a rusted horse shoe around the cup, originally it was a really crappy torc made out of a hanger). I haven't burn inscents in a while I feel like I am dishonoring the gods, and especially Woden/Woten/Odin since I failed my fast, any way I can make it up to him.

Secondly, since I'm busy with school I'm having a hard time feeling connected( probably not the right word) spiritually with the gods, and feel uneasy.  Also have fun picking apart my terrible grammar
Sincerely,
A Mongolian Cow

There are certainly Pagans who aren't able to keep permanent shrines to a deity. A popular way for a stealth shrine is to create an e-shrine. Sites like Tumblr and Pinterest allow you to create a corner of the web that's dedicated to that deity. I've even heard of devotees reblogging images of things they'd like to offer to that particular god or goddess, such as food or drink. You can add music or images that remind you of Epona.

These are just some examples to some Irish gods, but the same could work for a Gaulish deity.

http://brighid-nam-bratta.tumblr.com/

http://sonoflir.tumblr.com/

GreyMare

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:56:13 pm »
Quote from: Nic an Dair;195701
There are certainly Pagans who aren't able to keep permanent shrines to a deity. A popular way for a stealth shrine is to create an e-shrine. Sites like Tumblr and Pinterest allow you to create a corner of the web that's dedicated to that deity. I've even heard of devotees reblogging images of things they'd like to offer to that particular god or goddess, such as food or drink. You can add music or images that remind you of Epona.

These are just some examples to some Irish gods, but the same could work for a Gaulish deity.

http://brighid-nam-bratta.tumblr.com/

http://sonoflir.tumblr.com/

I thank Epona often, as well as pray to her, she is the Goddess for me as I have horses, as she is the protector of them and their human, as well as for prosperity, a warrior, and fertility. Many names are given to her and her history is colorful and her birth has been thought upon as well, you can find several conflicting stories on what actually happened.

May I ask why you chose the Goddess Epona as one of your deities? Here is a great site to read over:
http://www.angelfire.com/journal/ofapoet/epona.html

Perhaps if you can, find a horse shoe that has been on a horse that is not broken down, go to a local farm shop, sometimes they have new horse shoes and you can buy them one at a time. A lock of horse hair, do you have any friends whom have horses they can braid you some hair, you could put it around your chalice. Perhaps she isn't the Goddess for you, I had to really sit and meditate, I am still "looking" for a male God but then, perhaps I am not meant to have one. :) After all, I am headstrong and solitary in my ways.

Good luck. You have some wonderful thoughts and ideas, I wish you peace of mind to find what you seek, so may it be.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:58:05 pm by GreyMare »

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 04:59:01 pm »
Quote from: GreyMare;195721
I thank Epona often, as well as pray to her, she is the Goddess for me as I have horses, as she is the protector of them and their human, as well as for prosperity, a warrior, and fertility. Many names are given to her and her history is colorful and her birth has been thought upon as well, you can find several conflicting stories on what actually happened.

May I ask why you chose the Goddess Epona as one of your deities? Here is a great site to read over:

Perhaps if you can, find a horse shoe that has been on a horse that is not broken down, go to a local farm shop, sometimes they have new horse shoes and you can buy them one at a time. A lock of horse hair, do you have any friends whom have horses they can braid you some hair, you could put it around your chalice. Perhaps she isn't the Goddess for you, I had to really sit and meditate, I am still "looking" for a male God but then, perhaps I am not meant to have one. :) After all, I am headstrong and solitary in my ways.

Good luck. You have some wonderful thoughts and ideas, I wish you peace of mind to find what you seek, so may it be.

The reason I chose Epona was because I have a lot of respect for horses and I like horses. I like the history of how horses had a big impact on human society. Maybe that isn't a good reason to honor Epona, and thank you for making me think about this.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 06:36:08 pm »
Quote from: MongolianCow;195723
The reason I chose Epona was because I have a lot of respect for horses and I like horses. I like the history of how horses had a big impact on human society. Maybe that isn't a good reason to honor Epona, and thank you for making me think about this.

Honestly, I can't think of a better reason to worship a divinity than out of respect for, and in appreciation for, their influence on history and society.

Personally I have a similar problem, and cannot carry out the basic acts of devotion on which all others rely. So I too feel disconnected. But then something will happen, something small, that reminds me that the gods are still here, and still listening.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 01:49:58 am »
Quote from: GreyMare;195721
Here is a great site to read over:

I would disagree about its greatness; it has many inaccuracies, and assumes that any and all horse goddesses are manifestations of Epona, and states this as if it was established fact, which it's not. Many people view Epona that way, and that's entirely legitimate as a personal perspective, but there are also many people who view her/experience her in different ways, and those are just as legitimate of perspectives.

It certainly could be a useful site, but I'd strongly advise doublechecking with more-reliable sources before accepting any of its info as an accurate representation of ancient beliefs.

The Epona.net site is a detailed scholarly resource on the historical Epona, compiled by devotees of the goddess; I recommend it to anyone interested in the actual history of her worship.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 09:58:54 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;195738
I would disagree about its greatness; it has many inaccuracies, and assumes that any and all horse goddesses are manifestations of Epona, and states this as if it was established fact, which it's not. Many people view Epona that way, and that's entirely legitimate as a personal perspective, but there are also many people who view her/experience her in different ways, and those are just as legitimate of perspectives.

It certainly could be a useful site, but I'd strongly advise doublechecking with more-reliable sources before accepting any of its info as an accurate representation of ancient beliefs.

The Epona.net site is a detailed scholarly resource on the historical Epona, compiled by devotees of the goddess; I recommend it to anyone interested in the actual history of her worship.

Sunflower

Thank you, i was freaked out by the part with the king and the white mare.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 07:22:33 pm »

Secondly, since I'm busy with school I'm having a hard time feeling connected( probably not the right word) spiritually with the gods, and feel uneasy.

I've been thinking about this since you posted, and besides the comments to double check whether those are the deities you really want to focus on (it's always good to check), I'm wondering why you picked those things.

There are certainly Pagan traditions of fasting, but for most practices, they're situational, or specific foods, or in preparation for specific rituals, not 'fast to honour this deity for an extended period.' So it might be that the fasting just isn't a particularly useful thing.

One way to look at what kinds of things might honour a deity is to look at what people did in the past (for example, are there specific foods sacred to that deity? Did people eat those foods or avoid those foods? Same thing with smells, or other offerings like a candle or a libation of water or something like that.)

But another option is to look at what helps you feel closer to that deity, more able to listen to how they are in the world. For some people that might be fasting, but it might not be that for you. (Just like it'd be a bad choice for someone who can't fast for health reasons, or who has a job where fasting would make it really hard for them to do their work well or whatever.)

Figuring out what *does* work for you may take some trial and error (so, don't go and invest a lot of time or money in a specific thing until you can test it the easier and less involved ways).

Personally, I've found that trying to force a daily practice that doesn't fit pushes me further away from the deities I honour, which is totally the wrong direction. I do some regular practice stuff that's about me, but most of my deity service is, well - service. Things I do, not ritual actions.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 10:01:03 am »
Quote from: Jenett;195766
I've been thinking about this since you posted, and besides the comments to double check whether those are the deities you really want to focus on (it's always good to check), I'm wondering why you picked those things.

There are certainly Pagan traditions of fasting, but for most practices, they're situational, or specific foods, or in preparation for specific rituals, not 'fast to honour this deity for an extended period.' So it might be that the fasting just isn't a particularly useful thing.

One way to look at what kinds of things might honour a deity is to look at what people did in the past (for example, are there specific foods sacred to that deity? Did people eat those foods or avoid those foods? Same thing with smells, or other offerings like a candle or a libation of water or something like that.)

But another option is to look at what helps you feel closer to that deity, more able to listen to how they are in the world. For some people that might be fasting, but it might not be that for you. (Just like it'd be a bad choice for someone who can't fast for health reasons, or who has a job where fasting would make it really hard for them to do their work well or whatever.)

Figuring out what *does* work for you may take some trial and error (so, don't go and invest a lot of time or money in a specific thing until you can test it the easier and less involved ways).

Personally, I've found that trying to force a daily practice that doesn't fit pushes me further away from the deities I honour, which is totally the wrong direction. I do some regular practice stuff that's about me, but most of my deity service is, well - service. Things I do, not ritual actions.

So basiclly to keep moderation?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 11:02:07 am »
Quote from: MongolianCow;195791
So basiclly to keep moderation?

More "Do the things that are actually useful, don't do the things that aren't." with a side of "If you think a thing might be useful, but you can't actually reliably do it, that's a really good time to take a step back and figure out why rather than blame yourself for it going the same way every time you try."

That, plus a "Don't make specific promises to deities about what you're going to do on a regular basis until you have actually reliably done it on a regular basis through a reasonable range of life's ups and downs." which I consider a good idea in general.

"I will do something to honour this deity every day" is probably a sustainable promise, because the something could be very very small, quick, and not require specific locations or privacy or whatever.

"I will do this specific action" gets a lot trickier because there are all kinds of pretty common situations when a specific action turns out to be a problem - you might be sick, have houseguests sharing your room, be on a trip, end up in hospital, get stuck in an airport, etc. So even if you can normally sustain a specific action, building alternatives into your commitments so they're there if you need them is a good move.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Clover

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 02:19:03 pm »
Hallo,

Sincerely,
A Mongolian Cow

As a woman living with an Irish Catholic family who has long had to keep her Pagan leanings on the QT, I'm going to plonk down a bunch of ways I think you can honour Odin and Epona (both such Amazing and rich Deities) that nobody else needs to know about.

For Odin:

Read. Lots. Especially Norse mythology and poetry, but myths and epics from any culture would do. Try to read a legend or story you've never read before every week, and re-read those you know often. Your local library is your friend. Go there often.

Learn about runes. Learn how to write them, and the sounds each is associated with, as well as the modern neo-Pagan associations with them. (I suggest skipping the Nazi stuff from the 30s and 40s. Aside from the ethical concerns of taking advice from a group that thought wiping out entire races was a great idea, most of their stuff is just pathetically badly researched and laughably wrong.) Experiment with them. If you're lighting a candle in your room, try carving a rune into it (easily done with a needle) and meditating on it while it burns.

Learn first aid. No, really! Odin was a God of battles and of healing. Being prepared to aid those who have suffered sudden illness or injury is a wonderful way to honour Him in your daily life.

Don't fast, focus on fitness instead. Exercise regularly. Keep yourself healthy. Eat well, sleep well and live well. Think of yourself as His warrior, ready to answer His call at a moment's notice.

For Epona:

Help horses! If you possibly can, donate to horse and donkey sanctuaries regularly, or volunteer at one if it is anywhere near you. If you're able to, hold an event like a bake sale or pub quiz or coffee morning and donate the proceeds to a horse sanctuary. Become involved in animal rights.

Help women! A recurring theme with Horse Goddesses in Europe was the Goddess being unjustly accused of lying, or a crime, or being forced to serve others in some way. Rhiannon was forced to carry items for people like a beast of burden after being falsely accused of killing her own child. The Gaulish legend states that Epona was born of a mare, fathered by a man who despised women. In my own country, Macha was forced to race against a horse while heavily pregnant after Her husband's unwise boasting. If you can, donate to or volunteer at homeless shelters, or battered women's shelters or other such noble causes. Even if you do something as simple as driving your elderly neighbours to a polling station to cast their vote or collect their groceries for them, it can be a service to honour the Goddess.

Collect horses. I have a dear friend well known for loving her collection of frogs, from ceramic frogs to stuffed cuddly frogs, while only she and I know that the frog is her totem and her eccentric collection is in fact a shrine to that gentle spirit. I myself have a collection of cow toys, figurines and pictures mostly given to me by my relatives, who laughingly indulge my silly quirk, never knowing that the cow is sacred to Bríd, my Goddess. You would be amazed how easy it is to get a reputation for collecting something without anyone ever knowing the hidden meaning behind it. Indeed, most family members love knowing that there's something in particular that you love. It makes gift buying so much easier! Let your family know that you love horses and all things horse related. Put posters of horses up in your room. Collect My Little Pony toys or (even better!) donate them for less well off parents to give their children for birthdays and at Christmas. If you can, learn how to ride a horse. If you can't, take up jogging - couch to 5k is an excellent way to start - and think of yourself as becoming as swift and strong as a horse.

Finally, try to draw horses. This works especially well if you're terrible at drawing, and tablets mean you don't have to waste a metric tonne of paper in the process. Look at photographs and paintings of horses. Study the various ways that people depict horses. Try to copy them, then try to capture the feel of a horse yourself. It doesn't matter if it turns out well. What matters is that you spend time absorbing yourself in this task.
Something witty and insightful goes here

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 02:51:48 pm »
Quote from: Clover;195804
(I suggest skipping the Nazi stuff from the 30s and 40s. Aside from the ethical concerns of taking advice from a group that thought wiping out entire races was a great idea, most of their stuff is just pathetically badly researched and laughably wrong.)

I'd extend that advice to include Germanic romantic-nationalist esoteric contexts in general, that being the foundation the Nazis were drawing on.

Sunflower
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:52:25 pm by SunflowerP »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

TheRaginPagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 04:57:24 pm »
Quote from: Clover;195804
Learn about runes. Learn how to write them, and the sounds each is associated with, as well as the modern neo-Pagan associations with them.

Follow-up on this;

I filmed a small lecture that I did for staves (video thread here) and am also quite familiar with rune use and magics. In fact I'm currently helping a co-worker with some questions that he had regarding personal bind-runes, as well as impersonal ones.

So if anyone would like suggestions or help with both rune and stave crafts, I can do so. (In fact, that would give me good topics for my ViBlogs, which I hope to start making in regularity again.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:58:55 pm by TheRaginPagan »

Tags: