Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Depression, Darkness, Temptation - How do you stay on track ?  (Read 2033 times)

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: he, him, his
Depression, Darkness, Temptation - How do you stay on track ?
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:54:39 pm »
I recently had a series of mood swings which made me feel quite depressed ( I have Bipolar Disorder), anyway when I'm feeling very low I feel out of touch with the Sacred Three. I almost feel abandoned or remote its hard to explain. When I'm feeling this way I feel temptations to explore darker paths or a pull towards darker things than the Celtic path.

When I'm feeling good this is not an issue and I feel this path is the right one and something my Ancestors would be proud of. I did feel a real positive buzz and felt accepted again last time after getting back from my trip away and praying before my Altar. I think the trip did not help, it was the first time I was unable to pray before my Altar and it felt awful. Maybe its something I need to come to terms with as a relative beginner that I do not always have access to my Altar and my candles etc. but I have felt much lower than this last experience in the past and when I'm that low I can be a different person, I feel vulnerable and lose sight of things that matter to me ordinarily.

So I'm just wondering how others deal with feeling out of touch and depressed and then feeling the temptation to stray onto darker avenues ?

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: Depression, Darkness, Temptation - How do you stay on track ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 10:16:18 pm »
Quote from: Oskar;195538

So I'm just wondering how others deal with feeling out of touch and depressed and then feeling the temptation to stray onto darker avenues ?

I'm not sure what you mean by darker, but I find work with cthonic deities or those who understand what I'm dealing with can be very helpful when I'm in a bad place. So... I guess I'm pro-stray?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 10:59:12 pm »
Quote from: Jack;195539
I'm not sure what you mean by darker, but I find work with cthonic deities or those who understand what I'm dealing with can be very helpful when I'm in a bad place. So... I guess I'm pro-stray?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I would investigate that option but I'm concentrating on the Celtic / Gaelic path. I am still learning about the various Deities though so I may yet come across some who can aid me specifically in these times.

I should have been more specific but by a darker path I mean anything darker from Voodoo, to Satanism, Spirit Evocation, Ouija and anything dark Occult. There is no one thing in particular that I'm drawn to when I'm experiencing negative emotions so far.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 12:45:25 am »
Quote from: Oskar;195541
I would investigate that option but I'm concentrating on the Celtic / Gaelic path. I am still learning about the various Deities though so I may yet come across some who can aid me specifically in these times.

Well, you could always contact a psychopomp figure, if that's something you find works for you. So perhaps, Manannan Mac Lir? (forgive me if my spelling is a bit terrible; it's late and I haven't typed his name in a while)

I should have been more specific but by a darker path I mean anything darker from Voodoo, to Satanism, Spirit Evocation, Ouija and anything dark Occult. There is no one thing in particular that I'm drawn to when I'm experiencing negative emotions so far.

How do you feel about those paths when you're *not* experiencing negative emotions?

(I would also add that some practices mentioned aren't necessarily "dark," but at the moment that seems like a bit of a nitpick).
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 06:06:45 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;195546
Well, you could always contact a psychopomp figure, if that's something you find works for you. So perhaps, Manannan Mac Lir? (forgive me if my spelling is a bit terrible; it's late and I haven't typed his name in a while)

How do you feel about those paths when you're *not* experiencing negative emotions?

(I would also add that some practices mentioned aren't necessarily "dark," but at the moment that seems like a bit of a nitpick).

I need to learn more about Manannan Mac Lir and others but I will along the way. So far I have not directly contacted specific Deities in anything but regular prayers and some words from the heart about minor events so I will wait until I feel more comfortable with communicating. I have a fairly general approach at the moment and I don't feel very confident to address specific Deities too much until I feel more familiar with them but of course speaking directly to them can help achieve this so I should be more forward. I'm looking forward to Imbolc / Brigit's Day so I'll be trying some more specific communication then.

The trouble is when I'm really low a) I feel unworthy of speaking with anyone and b) I feel like no one is listening.

When I'm not feeling negative those paths still interest me but its more from an academic perspective to learn about them and not the desire to explore / practice them or alter /change my path. Oh yes I know that these practices are not necessarily dark regardless, I should have worded that better.

GreyMare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 01:17:25 pm »
Quote from: Oskar;195564
I need to learn more about Manannan Mac Lir and others but I will along the way. So far I have not directly contacted specific Deities in anything but regular prayers and some words from the heart about minor events so I will wait until I feel more comfortable with communicating. I have a fairly general approach at the moment and I don't feel very confident to address specific Deities too much until I feel more familiar with them but of course speaking directly to them can help achieve this so I should be more forward. I'm looking forward to Imbolc / Brigit's Day so I'll be trying some more specific communication then.

The trouble is when I'm really low a) I feel unworthy of speaking with anyone and b) I feel like no one is listening.

When I'm not feeling negative those paths still interest me but its more from an academic perspective to learn about them and not the desire to explore / practice them or alter /change my path. Oh yes I know that these practices are not necessarily dark regardless, I should have worded that better.

First, I am sorry you deal with depression...it can be a dark place. Warm hugs and healing light.

Have you tried essential oils to help lift your mood? For a time in my life I had some very low days, I would put a little on, my go to is "peace and calming" or "valor" and a quiet prayer asking for strength to help me through the day. For channeling I often go to "pine" as having a Native American heritage, I asked my ancestors to help calm and center my being and soul, to help me find the will and strength to face the day.

Or, perhaps a crystal of your choice to hold in your hand and meditate first thing in the morning to help you center and ground yourself. Sometimes people find comfort holding it, letting their fingers rub the rough side and just breath with their eyes closed and try to be one with where they are.

Our god and goddess answer us, sometimes in subtle ways. Mother Earth sends me things to see, but I have to have my eyes open and my soul as well to receive what she shows me. It could be as small as a beautiful flower, or a black bear hurrying across the pasture, or even a beautiful clear cool day.

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 03:12:51 pm »
Quote from: Oskar;195541

Of course, as has been said, those other paths aren't necessarily "dark"--so it's quite possible they aren't even what you're really looking for.

I too tend to feel out of touch with my Powers when my depression worsens or is improperly medicated. So the first thing to do in a situation like that is to stop and take stock of your health and see if there's any way you're forgetting to treat it--neglecting a medication or vitamin, eating poorly, indulging too much in negative self-talk, whatever.

It's possible that some of the "darker" Powers will help you find your way back to your usual deities--as has been mentioned, a psychopomp might be a good idea here.

So my suggestion would be to do more research on the deities of your path and see if there are any that would address your urge to "stray" at times like these and help you deal with your depression at its worst.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 03:38:17 pm »
Maybe its something I need to come to terms with as a relative beginner that I do not always have access to my Altar and my candles etc. but I have felt much lower than this last experience in the past and when I'm that low I can be a different person, I feel vulnerable and lose sight of things that matter to me ordinarily.

I don't have issues with depression in the sense you describe it, but I do have some ideas for when you don't have your usual items handy.

Jewelry:
A lot of people wear a piece that's personally meaningful to them. This doesn't need to be something that's visibly obviously Pagan, if you're concerned about other people seeing it. At different points, I've worn a piece of dichroic glass set as a pendant, a small sterling silver charm that isn't obviously religious in nature, a couple of specific necklaces, etc.

Alternately, some people find having a small object (a small string of prayer beads, a worry stone, something carved with a suitable symbol, bindrune, or other design helpful - you can leave it in your pocket and just remind yourself it's there, or  take it out in private if you need to remind yourself of your goals or focus.

Portable altar items:
If you're more than very rarely away from home or in other situations where you can't have a full set of altar tools, a portable altar or shrine can be a good alternative.

What's in it is probably going to depend on your own specific needs, but it can include small objects, jewelry, images or small carved items relevant to a particular deity. The little LED tealights you can get these days are a great option to having candles if you're in places (hotel, hospital, dorm) where a lit flame isn't an option.

When I was job hunting and travelling for interviews regularly, I got a small box that will close, with several suitable items in it, and when I set up in my hotel room, I'd put out a small piece of fabric, set up the items, maybe have a little bit of suitable perfume or essential oil, and I'd be able to have a visible reminder of my spiritual practices  

(I got a custom playing card case: they come in lots of designs from that maker, hold up really well, and it's big enough for me to have a quarter yard of fabric for a suitable color altar cloth, and three or four pendants or small items. Less cloth, and you could fit more, though I found the cloth helped with padding items so they didn't move around or possibly break.)

Stuff you have to do anyway:
One really good piece of practice if you have concerns about being able to do something is build little reminders into your life. The image you pick for wallpaper on your phone or computer - again, it doesn't have to be Obviously Pagan, just something that's meaningful to you.

If you are somewhere (school or work) that makes you change your password regularly, try picking one that reminds you of your spiritual goals or focus (this could be the first letter from a piece of suitable text, or it could be a word or phrase, with some number or letter substitutions as needed.)

Playlists of music that you find spiritually meaningful, or even a range of podcasts, audio books, ebooks, or whatever other forms of media work for you that are already ready to go when you need a little help. (Some people find having guided meditations handy for this, some people like playlists of music, some people like having something they know they can rely on to read.)

Little small things - I build spiritual things into how I have a bath or shower. I paint my toenails blue as a deity devotion (and it's by far my longest running consistent spiritual practice: I've been doing it since late 2002.) My toenails are always with me, it's not very obvious to other people (like fingernails might be) and it just works for me. (Some people do tattoos for similar reason, but those are obviously a lot more permanent.)

Does the impetus come from you or outside you?
Finally, I'd encourage you to focus on practices that are more about what you do than how other beings (especially deities) respond. Sometimes deities are right there when we want them - but a lot of times, that's not necessarily the case, and it's not because we've done anything wrong, or whatever. It's just how it is.

(Just like one of my friends might call or email, and I might not answer immediately: it's not that I don't like them. I might be busy, I might not hear the call or see the email for technical reasons, I might be helping someone else out right now, and then other stuff has to happen too...)

I recognise that this can be really hard for anyone dealing with depression or exhaustion or fatigue - but in general, it's usually a better direction to move toward if and when you can, since you get so much more flexibility and possible resilience out of it.

For me, a lot of my deity work is service to particular goals - I can do those things whether I get a lot of direct feedback from M'Lady or not. (And most of the time, I don't get tons - just a very faint specific feeling, most of the time if I get anything at all.) That's pretty common for most people, I think.

But I can still do the useful things that advance things she cares about, because they're good things to be doing in the world *anyway*, whether she's explicitly telling me "Yay that thing!" or not.

(And also, they're things that usually get me at least some degree of positive feedback over time - helping people find information is one of the things I do for M'Lady, and since it's both job and personal interest, I do a lot of it. Not everyone writes back or says thank you or anything, but I get enough 'hey, I did a useful thing' feedback to make it much easier to keep going.)

Volunteer or creative projects that are related to a deity's desires can sometimes be a good way to do this. If you've got limited energy or resources, you can still do a lot, depending on your interests.

For example, someone could create a focused blog or Tumblr about a deity's realm of interest, with information about relevant things, not even explicitly Pagan, but 'here's stuff about the ocean' for an ocean deity, or whatever is relevant. They could volunteer occasionally when they felt up to it with nature cleanup or other projects. Some people donate regularly to a food pantry in honour of deities concerned with food and access to food and harvests. Artwork or music or poetry are a thing. And so on.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 04:08:54 am »
Quote from: GreyMare;195570
First, I am sorry you deal with depression...it can be a dark place. Warm hugs and healing light.

Have you tried essential oils to help lift your mood? For a time in my life I had some very low days, I would put a little on, my go to is "peace and calming" or "valor" and a quiet prayer asking for strength to help me through the day. For channeling I often go to "pine" as having a Native American heritage, I asked my ancestors to help calm and center my being and soul, to help me find the will and strength to face the day.

Or, perhaps a crystal of your choice to hold in your hand and meditate first thing in the morning to help you center and ground yourself. Sometimes people find comfort holding it, letting their fingers rub the rough side and just breath with their eyes closed and try to be one with where they are.

Our god and goddess answer us, sometimes in subtle ways. Mother Earth sends me things to see, but I have to have my eyes open and my soul as well to receive what she shows me. It could be as small as a beautiful flower, or a black bear hurrying across the pasture, or even a beautiful clear cool day.

Thank you for the warm hugs and healing light :)

I have never tried essential oils but will keep that in mind. I do find fragrances particularly natural ones lift my mood. On my Altar I have a Rhodonite Crystal in natural matrix to represent the Land (Earth) but otherwise I do not use them as they do not form part of my practice traditionally.

It sounds like you live in a beautiful place. My surrounding desert has beauty but its hard to see unless I look closely and are out walking in it which is not always practical if I'm stuck home working. There is some field work coming up though so I should make the most of this and appreciate the nature around me then as its sure to help my moods.

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 04:20:27 am »
Quote from: Eastling;195575
Of course, as has been said, those other paths aren't necessarily "dark"--so it's quite possible they aren't even what you're really looking for.

I too tend to feel out of touch with my Powers when my depression worsens or is improperly medicated. So the first thing to do in a situation like that is to stop and take stock of your health and see if there's any way you're forgetting to treat it--neglecting a medication or vitamin, eating poorly, indulging too much in negative self-talk, whatever.

It's possible that some of the "darker" Powers will help you find your way back to your usual deities--as has been mentioned, a psychopomp might be a good idea here.

So my suggestion would be to do more research on the deities of your path and see if there are any that would address your urge to "stray" at times like these and help you deal with your depression at its worst.

I always try to eat well and take my meds even when I feel down but I'm a big one for negative self-talk. Its hard to avoid when my mood is low. It's so much easier to concentrate on the negative aspects in my life then and not see or undervalue the positives. It's like a partial blind fold and hard to see past.

Seeking help from the darker deities / a psychopomp is a new concept which I will certainly consider. I still have lots of reading to do.

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 04:55:10 am »
Quote from: Jenett;195577
I don't have issues with depression in the sense you describe it, but I do have some ideas for when you don't have your usual items handy.

Jewelry:
A lot of people wear a piece that's personally meaningful to them. This doesn't need to be something that's visibly obviously Pagan, if you're concerned about other people seeing it. At different points, I've worn a piece of dichroic glass set as a pendant, a small sterling silver charm that isn't obviously religious in nature, a couple of specific necklaces, etc.

Alternately, some people find having a small object (a small string of prayer beads, a worry stone, something carved with a suitable symbol, bindrune, or other design helpful - you can leave it in your pocket and just remind yourself it's there, or  take it out in private if you need to remind yourself of your goals or focus.

Portable altar items:
If you're more than very rarely away from home or in other situations where you can't have a full set of altar tools, a portable altar or shrine can be a good alternative.

What's in it is probably going to depend on your own specific needs, but it can include small objects, jewelry, images or small carved items relevant to a particular deity. The little LED tealights you can get these days are a great option to having candles if you're in places (hotel, hospital, dorm) where a lit flame isn't an option.

When I was job hunting and travelling for interviews regularly, I got a small box that will close, with several suitable items in it, and when I set up in my hotel room, I'd put out a small piece of fabric, set up the items, maybe have a little bit of suitable perfume or essential oil, and I'd be able to have a visible reminder of my spiritual practices  

(I got a custom playing card case: they come in lots of designs from that maker, hold up really well, and it's big enough for me to have a quarter yard of fabric for a suitable color altar cloth, and three or four pendants or small items. Less cloth, and you could fit more, though I found the cloth helped with padding items so they didn't move around or possibly break.)

Stuff you have to do anyway:
One really good piece of practice if you have concerns about being able to do something is build little reminders into your life. The image you pick for wallpaper on your phone or computer - again, it doesn't have to be Obviously Pagan, just something that's meaningful to you.

If you are somewhere (school or work) that makes you change your password regularly, try picking one that reminds you of your spiritual goals or focus (this could be the first letter from a piece of suitable text, or it could be a word or phrase, with some number or letter substitutions as needed.)

Playlists of music that you find spiritually meaningful, or even a range of podcasts, audio books, ebooks, or whatever other forms of media work for you that are already ready to go when you need a little help. (Some people find having guided meditations handy for this, some people like playlists of music, some people like having something they know they can rely on to read.)

Little small things - I build spiritual things into how I have a bath or shower. I paint my toenails blue as a deity devotion (and it's by far my longest running consistent spiritual practice: I've been doing it since late 2002.) My toenails are always with me, it's not very obvious to other people (like fingernails might be) and it just works for me. (Some people do tattoos for similar reason, but those are obviously a lot more permanent.)

Does the impetus come from you or outside you?
Finally, I'd encourage you to focus on practices that are more about what you do than how other beings (especially deities) respond. Sometimes deities are right there when we want them - but a lot of times, that's not necessarily the case, and it's not because we've done anything wrong, or whatever. It's just how it is.

(Just like one of my friends might call or email, and I might not answer immediately: it's not that I don't like them. I might be busy, I might not hear the call or see the email for technical reasons, I might be helping someone else out right now, and then other stuff has to happen too...)

I recognise that this can be really hard for anyone dealing with depression or exhaustion or fatigue - but in general, it's usually a better direction to move toward if and when you can, since you get so much more flexibility and possible resilience out of it.

For me, a lot of my deity work is service to particular goals - I can do those things whether I get a lot of direct feedback from M'Lady or not. (And most of the time, I don't get tons - just a very faint specific feeling, most of the time if I get anything at all.) That's pretty common for most people, I think.

But I can still do the useful things that advance things she cares about, because they're good things to be doing in the world *anyway*, whether she's explicitly telling me "Yay that thing!" or not.

(And also, they're things that usually get me at least some degree of positive feedback over time - helping people find information is one of the things I do for M'Lady, and since it's both job and personal interest, I do a lot of it. Not everyone writes back or says thank you or anything, but I get enough 'hey, I did a useful thing' feedback to make it much easier to keep going.)

Volunteer or creative projects that are related to a deity's desires can sometimes be a good way to do this. If you've got limited energy or resources, you can still do a lot, depending on your interests.

For example, someone could create a focused blog or Tumblr about a deity's realm of interest, with information about relevant things, not even explicitly Pagan, but 'here's stuff about the ocean' for an ocean deity, or whatever is relevant. They could volunteer occasionally when they felt up to it with nature cleanup or other projects. Some people donate regularly to a food pantry in honour of deities concerned with food and access to food and harvests. Artwork or music or poetry are a thing. And so on.

I do wear a pewter pendant of Brigit's Knot wherever I go (which does help) but the addition of some portable Altar items sounds very interesting and will certainly help me with feeling more in touch when I'm travelling. Even though I've only recently started practicing the absence of my usual Altar felt really disruptive.

Reminders also sound good. When funds allow I'll be looking into some Celtic music to help keep me focused and set the mood so to speak. I live on a busy street and the constant sound of traffic really annoyed me this morning so I definitely need some music to displace that noise. I have a few small tattoos of other things but it could be an option to get a new meaningful one some day once I'm convinced this path is the one I'm staying on. So far it feels that way.

Meditation is on my list of things to learn about, I should look into this more as soon as I've finished reading my current historical book.

Doing more practical & useful things in everyday life that align with my path and which will be appreciated is something I need to do more of. This morning I had the courage to attend a social gathering which I would not ordinarily have made the effort to try so it felt good. I totally agree that Deities may not be there for us whenever we need them or try contacting them. Keeping more things with me like the travelling Altar items should strengthen the connection though :) I'm looking forward to getting some things together as soon as I can so I'm prepared for my next trip away.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 06:34:27 pm »
Quote from: Oskar;195610
When funds allow I'll be looking into some Celtic music to help keep me focused and set the mood so to speak.

That's a thing one can do something about even when funds don't otherwise allow, thanks to the ubiquitous (in online Celtic music spheres, anyway) Marc Gunn. Check here and here to start off with.

Sunflower
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 06:36:22 pm by SunflowerP »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 04:10:45 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;195652
That's a thing one can do something about even when funds don't otherwise allow, thanks to the ubiquitous (in online Celtic music spheres, anyway) Marc Gunn. Check here and here to start off with.

Sunflower

Cheers SunflowerP :) I did not even think of searching for Podcasts such as Marc Gunn's Irish & Celtic Music !

Skumring

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Rökkatru
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 07:41:59 pm »

The only thing I do which I could actually recommend is an altar which is entirely portable. I'm not sure if this would be possible in your observation as it is in mine. But since I'm essentially homeless right now and Hela makes no real fuss about her altar and nor do my ancestors mind their barrow being small I keep everything in a small chest which can be set up anywhere.

The amazing thing is that all of the items in it can actually take up a surprising amount of space once they're set out if you have room to do so. You can find chest like this of varying sizes fairly cheap at hobby and craft stores.

Either way, good luck. It's not easy dealing with the low places when you're in them and few people ever truly understand just how terrible it can be.
Owner of Dusk's Embrace Woodworking

At Dusk's Embrace Woodworking we strive to use only naturally sourced materials to make our products out of respect and love for our home.

Facebook: @DusksEmbraceWoodworking

Tags: