Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Author Topic: Question about Altars  (Read 2679 times)

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Question about Altars
« on: August 22, 2016, 02:07:13 pm »
Hi,

I've set up an altar for The Morrigan. It consists of pictures of Her and Ravens, and a single candle. That's it. I'm tempted to run out and buy a few things like feathers and onyx stones, but money is tight right now. Do you think The Morrigan will like her altar as is? It it the devotion of the follower that matters more than the material stuff? I'd like to think so. Your thoughts?

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: Question about Altars
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 02:58:55 pm »
Quote from: Izzie414;195301
Hi,

I've set up an altar for The Morrigan. It consists of pictures of Her and Ravens, and a single candle. That's it. I'm tempted to run out and buy a few things like feathers and onyx stones, but money is tight right now. Do you think The Morrigan will like her altar as is? It it the devotion of the follower that matters more than the material stuff? I'd like to think so. Your thoughts?

I'd say so! My own space for Her began as a single candle and grew over the years naturally. Personally I think the intention of the altar is more important than how it looks or what is on it :) If it will expand over time, let that happen naturally rather than putting strain on yourself.
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 03:40:46 pm »
Hi,

While I don't know much about The Morrigan, I know my altar/shrine to Quan Yin has definitely changed over the years. It actually started fairly large and elaborate but gradually got smaller and simpler, haha. Now I just have a statue of Her, some crystals, a tiny bottle of lavender, and another bottle with my cat's fur that passed last summer.

It's definitely the intention and love you put behind it. To me, it's better to have a few small items that mean a lot to you and the deity than to have a crap ton of stuff that doesn't really mean much.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 04:10:17 pm »

I'm definitely in the 'it's the thought that matters' other than if you have items that need to be usable for a purpose, then obviously a usable form wins over a not usable one.

(Incidentally, in my preferred terminology, what you have sounds like it'd be a shrine rather than an altar, and this might give you a bit more flexibility in what you think about including.)

One thing to be aware with about feathers or other bird parts is that in the US, feathers from many species - including the common raven - are illegal, due to the Migratory Bird Act. (It seems like it it's a very complex law for birds that are common, but the breadth of it is needed to protect birds that are endangered or rare.) There's a more user-friendly explanation from the site of a feather artist that might also be helpful.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 08:33:22 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;195304
I'm definitely in the 'it's the thought that matters' other than if you have items that need to be usable for a purpose, then obviously a usable form wins over a not usable one.

(Incidentally, in my preferred terminology, what you have sounds like it'd be a shrine rather than an altar, and this might give you a bit more flexibility in what you think about including.)

One thing to be aware with about feathers or other bird parts is that in the US, feathers from many species - including the common raven - are illegal, due to the Migratory Bird Act. (It seems like it it's a very complex law for birds that are common, but the breadth of it is needed to protect birds that are endangered or rare.) There's a more user-friendly explanation from the site of a feather artist that might also be helpful.

Thank you for posting the links. I think Michael's sells craft feathers; those may be a better option. I think I probably have a shrine going, that seems to work for me. I see what you're saying about usable items, those are going to work better for me.

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 08:40:26 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;195303
While I don't know much about The Morrigan, I know my altar/shrine to Quan Yin has definitely changed over the years. It actually started fairly large and elaborate but gradually got smaller and simpler, haha. Now I just have a statue of Her, some crystals, a tiny bottle of lavender, and another bottle with my cat's fur that passed last summer.

It's definitely the intention and love you put behind it. To me, it's better to have a few small items that mean a lot to you and the deity than to have a crap ton of stuff that doesn't really mean much.

I agree with you, it's definitely the intention you put behind it. I like what you did with your altar/shrine, it sounds really pretty.

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 08:43:21 pm »
Quote from: Cág;195302
I'd say so! My own space for Her began as a single candle and grew over the years naturally. Personally I think the intention of the altar is more important than how it looks or what is on it :) If it will expand over time, let that happen naturally rather than putting strain on yourself.

I agree with you. I'd like my space to evolve over time, I think it will have more meaning that way.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 08:59:59 pm »
Quote from: Izzie414;195312
I agree with you, it's definitely the intention you put behind it. I like what you did with your altar/shrine, it sounds really pretty.
Thanks! If you're ever bored and feel like scrolling through it all, I've posted probably half a dozen pictures of the evolution of my altar (sadly not at all once) in the altar/shrine inspiration thread. But in the mean time, this is what it looks like now.

On another note, let stuff speak to you. The little plate I have everything on I found for a dollar at Goodwill. I have no idea what it says or what language it's even in, but it spoke to me. I spent years looking for the perfect Quan Yin statue, and even when I found that one online I didn't get it right away because I couldn't physically hold it. Two of my crystals (amethyst and clear quartz) I'd picked up in some witchy shop years ago, and my moonstone I bought on Etsy. Plus I keep my necklace, rings, and bracelet hanging on the statue when I'm not wearing them because jewelry can be sacred too.

My point is, don't worry about getting everything all at once. Let your altar evolve as you learn and grow.

ETA: you can't read it in the picture, but the little piece of paper on the statue is a fortune cookie fortune that says "great things are made of little things."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:02:16 pm by missgraceless »
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 10:16:25 pm »
Do you think The Morrigan will like her altar as is? It it the devotion of the follower that matters more than the material stuff? I'd like to think so. Your thoughts?

My experience with the Morrigan is that she's far more fond of actions rather than a nicely set up shrine or altar. She wants me to live a life that she can be proud of; the shrine is just, y'know, shiny things. (Which, yeah, the corvid side of her appreciates, but that's just one side of her.)

That said I do have a shrine to her, sort of, as she's part of a trio of gods upon whom I am basing a religion, so the three of them get a shrine with their own little spots marked out. But the snakes and fairies and candles and wine glass are all just window dressing; what she really wants for me to do is her Work.

When I first started my relationship with her I had no shrine at all; I worried about this but got a very strongly worded message from her that it was. not. important.

So at this point, the shrine is for me, because having a physical representation in my life is helpful for my mortal brain. It's also useful for holiday celebrations to have a designated spot to do stuff.  

(Tools are a bit different; there are things I have that are dedicated to her and used for her; those she appreciates, because she appreciates a good tool and knows they're necessary for the Work, as well as being shiny. She is a very practical deity in my experience.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 09:22:10 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;195314
Thanks! If you're ever bored and feel like scrolling through it all, I've posted probably half a dozen pictures of the evolution of my altar (sadly not at all once) in the altar/shrine inspiration thread. But in the mean time, this is what it looks like now.

On another note, let stuff speak to you. The little plate I have everything on I found for a dollar at Goodwill. I have no idea what it says or what language it's even in, but it spoke to me. I spent years looking for the perfect Quan Yin statue, and even when I found that one online I didn't get it right away because I couldn't physically hold it. Two of my crystals (amethyst and clear quartz) I'd picked up in some witchy shop years ago, and my moonstone I bought on Etsy. Plus I keep my necklace, rings, and bracelet hanging on the statue when I'm not wearing them because jewelry can be sacred too.

My point is, don't worry about getting everything all at once. Let your altar evolve as you learn and grow.

ETA: you can't read it in the picture, but the little piece of paper on the statue is a fortune cookie fortune that says "great things are made of little things."

I love what you did with the shrine! I'm looking forward to expanding The Morrigan's shrine, whenever it happens.

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 09:31:19 am »
Quote from: Morag;195340
My experience with the Morrigan is that she's far more fond of actions rather than a nicely set up shrine or altar. She wants me to live a life that she can be proud of; the shrine is just, y'know, shiny things. (Which, yeah, the corvid side of her appreciates, but that's just one side of her.)

That said I do have a shrine to her, sort of, as she's part of a trio of gods upon whom I am basing a religion, so the three of them get a shrine with their own little spots marked out. But the snakes and fairies and candles and wine glass are all just window dressing; what she really wants for me to do is her Work.

When I first started my relationship with her I had no shrine at all; I worried about this but got a very strongly worded message from her that it was. not. important.

So at this point, the shrine is for me, because having a physical representation in my life is helpful for my mortal brain. It's also useful for holiday celebrations to have a designated spot to do stuff.  

(Tools are a bit different; there are things I have that are dedicated to her and used for her; those she appreciates, because she appreciates a good tool and knows they're necessary for the Work, as well as being shiny. She is a very practical deity in my experience.)

I agree, the shrine helps my brain focus on the work. I don't have any tools yet, but I'm sure that is something that will come with time.

Clover

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 02:41:23 pm »
Hi,

I'm gonna echo what most have said to you already; let it grow over time. Sure, it looks bare now, but I guarantee in a couple of years you won't have room for all the stuff you've found.

If I have a suggestion for stuff to look out for, it's hematite. It's a beautiful black stone with an almost silvery mirror-like surface that always reminds me of dark water. It's also associated with blood, which to my mind makes it a very Morriganish stone.
Something witty and insightful goes here

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 11:33:29 pm »
Quote from: Clover;195808
I'm gonna echo what most have said to you already; let it grow over time. Sure, it looks bare now, but I guarantee in a couple of years you won't have room for all the stuff you've found.

If I have a suggestion for stuff to look out for, it's hematite. It's a beautiful black stone with an almost silvery mirror-like surface that always reminds me of dark water. It's also associated with blood, which to my mind makes it a very Morriganish stone.
Yeah, one thing you can't tell from my picture is that I have a cardboard filing box overflowing with shrine stuff shoved unceremoniously in a corner of my closet. I tell myself that I'll find a bigger, more permanent home for everything once Fiancé and I move into our own place (without roommates), but I'll probably still have stuff in a box.

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 03:03:26 pm »
Quote from: Clover;195808

I have a hematite necklace, that would go nicely. Thanks!

GrayEyes

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 07:01:40 pm »
Hi,

My "shrine" at the moment is the top of my bureau - shared with my partner, who has taken over the right side with his stuff. In theory, we're going to set up a household shrine shortly and have everything set out, but we've been saying that for a while. My shrine has, at times, been housed on a closet shelf, inside a shoebox, on a particularly wide windowsill, as well as various side tables and bureaus.

While along the way, the contents have shifted as well. When I began, I had a big focus on the "right" statues and symbols. That fell away, partially because of limited funds and partially because my spaces simply weren't allowing for it. Right now, the central focus on my side of the shrine is a box-framed stylized drawing of a deer and a statue of Athena paired small oil lamp of Nike. Almost everything else - including a pair Legba heads with a veve, given to me by a Voudoun friend - are gifts that found their way to my shrine quite by chance. My first altar had statues and fancy candle holders and a big incense burner and an iron cauldron and a chalice and on and on. Today is different - not that before it was worse, but altars and shrines can and do evolve and change as we do.

[I have a general household shrine at this time - to ancestors and Powers and spirits, rather than a single deity or group of deities.]

This is all to say, that, yes, I think intent may be more important than the "right" objects, particularly if this is a shrine rather than an altar for Ritual Magic.

Tags: