Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pentagram, Triquetra, or both on your altar  (Read 5701 times)

Hippie-Witch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Witch (Very Wiccan-based)
Pentagram, Triquetra, or both on your altar
« on: August 17, 2016, 03:28:01 pm »
For those of you who work with an altar or set up a sacred space for worship or divination; do you prefer using a pentagram or a triquetra to draw energy/represent earth/whatever else you choose to use it for.
I found a small pane of glass, a perfect little rectangle, and I want to make it into an altar piece. I've never placed either symbols on my altar before and I was considering both.
What do you prefer?
Why?
Do you choose both/neither?

Thanks y'all <3

Edit: I'll probably do triquetra, but I would really like to hear your perspective on the two symbols. Both their similarities and differences.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 03:30:31 pm by Hippie-Witch »
"There's a lot of beauty in ordinary things. Isn't that kind of the point?"

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pentagram, Triquetra, or both on your altar
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 09:15:55 pm »
Quote from: Hippie-Witch;195115
For those of you who work with an altar or set up a sacred space for worship or divination; do you prefer using a pentagram or a triquetra to draw energy/represent earth/whatever else you choose to use it for.
I found a small pane of glass, a perfect little rectangle, and I want to make it into an altar piece. I've never placed either symbols on my altar before and I was considering both.
What do you prefer?
Why?

Thanks y'all <3

Edit: I'll probably do triquetra, but I would really like to hear your perspective on the two symbols. Both their similarities and differences.

Neither, because neither is a part of my practice or representative of my life. I'm more likely to use home drawn symbols (sigils, emblems) or symbols that relate to my interests (eg the BDSM triskelion), something from a pop culture source (eg the VFD eye), a family symbol (actually can't think of one right now), etc.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 04:16:07 am »
What do you prefer?
Why?

T

I also use neither. They have no  meaning in my practice. Like Scales I use other symbolism which is much less generic and much more personally meaningful.

If you need to ask it doesn't sound as if you are strongly drawn to either of the symbols so maybe something else would be more appropriate for you too?

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 08:22:41 am »
What do you prefer?
Why?

Thanks y'all <3

I have a pentagram that I made out of salt dough, but it's not always on my altar.  I have a triquetra necklace.  For me, the pentagram represents earth, which is why I made one for my altar.  But, my altar has a lot of rotating things, I change it up every Sabbat and put what feels right for that season in it.

Definitely go with what you like and what feels right for you!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 08:45:32 am »

As with others, I'm going with "Depends what your goal is here."

My tradition uses a pentagram on the altar as a tool: usually a flat symbol (as carved on a wooden plate, into soapstone, or something similar) that is used both a symbol of earth (we also always have salt, so it's not the only such symbol) but also as an actual tool. Following the Great Rite, the chalice and a pinch of bread for a libation outside are put on it for the rest of the ritual. (hence the need for it to be a flat shape or dish). It's also sometimes used as the place to put things which are being charged in the ritual, so again, flat.

Why not a triquetra? Well, first, our practice is not especially Celtic as a tradition, so wrong place, wrong symbol, not relevant. But more importantly, the pentagram is used in other places in our ritual practice (quarter calls, notably, but also other places) and that echoing of symbols is deliberate.

The symbology and functionality of three is different than the symbology and functionality of five, and that matters.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Hippie-Witch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »
Quote from: Scales;195125
Neither, because neither is a part of my practice or representative of my life. I'm more likely to use home drawn symbols (sigils, emblems) or symbols that relate to my interests (eg the BDSM triskelion), something from a pop culture source (eg the VFD eye), a family symbol (actually can't think of one right now), etc.

Very cool :)
I love hearing more about people who do their own thing

Hippie-Witch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 07:22:37 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;195137
I have a pentagram that I made out of salt dough, but it's not always on my altar.  I have a triquetra necklace.  For me, the pentagram represents earth, which is why I made one for my altar.  But, my altar has a lot of rotating things, I change it up every Sabbat and put what feels right for that season in it.

Definitely go with what you like and what feels right for you!

Thank you very much :):)

Hippie-Witch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 07:26:42 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;195136
I also use neither. They have no  meaning in my practice. Like Scales I use other symbolism which is much less generic and much more personally meaningful.

If you need to ask it doesn't sound as if you are strongly drawn to either of the symbols so maybe something else would be more appropriate for you too?

That is a really good point! I like subtle witchcraft. Maybe something that so strongly says "this is a witch's altar" isn't for me. I have a rock with the goddess engraved on it that I display, maybe that is good enough for me at the moment.

Thank you! :)

Hippie-Witch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 07:32:49 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;195138
As with others, I'm going with "Depends what your goal is here."

My tradition uses a pentagram on the altar as a tool: usually a flat symbol (as carved on a wooden plate, into soapstone, or something similar) that is used both a symbol of earth (we also always have salt, so it's not the only such symbol) but also as an actual tool. Following the Great Rite, the chalice and a pinch of bread for a libation outside are put on it for the rest of the ritual. (hence the need for it to be a flat shape or dish). It's also sometimes used as the place to put things which are being charged in the ritual, so again, flat.

Why not a triquetra? Well, first, our practice is not especially Celtic as a tradition, so wrong place, wrong symbol, not relevant. But more importantly, the pentagram is used in other places in our ritual practice (quarter calls, notably, but also other places) and that echoing of symbols is deliberate.

The symbology and functionality of three is different than the symbology and functionality of five, and that matters.

I love what you wrote here, that was for sure something I took into consideration.
The triquetra is more a symbol of "mind, body, spirit" that can also be used as a symbol for earth, meanwhile the pentagram is all four elements as well as spirit at the top.

Looking over what I have, I realized I already have a symbol for earth. I have a large Himalayan rock salt candle holder that is meant to purify the air as it burns. The only thing I don't have an active symbol for is water, and that can be added during divination and craft work. (I don't like having water out. I have a cat and that's just asking for trouble)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 08:16:24 am »
Quote from: Hippie-Witch;195175
The only thing I don't have an active symbol for is water, and that can be added during divination and craft work. (I don't like having water out. I have a cat and that's just asking for trouble)

I also have cats, so I don't leave open containers of water out (all our cats will drink out of them...and messily!)

If you want a water symbol, you can use a seashell, or a bottle (with a top!) full of charged or blessed water.  I have several different bottles of water like melted snow water, and blessed full moon water, as well as other bottles containing homemade Florida water and Vinq (which was a lovely purple alcohol with edible glitter that I brought to one of our Day of the Dead rituals)

Or you can just add the water when you need it :)

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 08:45:42 am »
Quote from: Kylara;195193
Vinq (which was a lovely purple alcohol with edible glitter that I brought to one of our Day of the Dead rituals)

Oh I am so going to have to steal that idea if you don't mind! I usually provide black mead for our celebrations but adding the edible glitter would be so cool!

Hippie-Witch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 03:25:10 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;195193
I also have cats, so I don't leave open containers of water out (all our cats will drink out of them...and messily!)

If you want a water symbol, you can use a seashell, or a bottle (with a top!) full of charged or blessed water.  I have several different bottles of water like melted snow water, and blessed full moon water, as well as other bottles containing homemade Florida water and Vinq (which was a lovely purple alcohol with edible glitter that I brought to one of our Day of the Dead rituals)

Thank you for the water suggestions :D
I would love to start collecting different water :) I love the idea of blessed moon and blessed sun water. Both are good for different things in different ways. Can you use distilled water so the water doesn't go stagnant? Or is spring water or filtered water better?

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 11:52:34 am »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;195194
Oh I am so going to have to steal that idea if you don't mind! I usually provide black mead for our celebrations but adding the edible glitter would be so cool!

Absolutely!  It's so pretty, that's why I had to save a bottle of it!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 11:55:05 am »
Quote from: Hippie-Witch;195201
Thank you for the water suggestions :D
I would love to start collecting different water :) I love the idea of blessed moon and blessed sun water. Both are good for different things in different ways. Can you use distilled water so the water doesn't go stagnant? Or is spring water or filtered water better?

I personally use the same filtered water I drink (from my kitchen water filter).  I know many people have preferences, some prefer less 'processed' water (so it is more natural and they feel it retains more of it's innate properties).  I have kind of a mental block about water....after living in a house with well-water and it making me feel ill if I drank it without filtering, so I have to use water I know I can drink (unless I'm reserving the magical water for non-drinking purposes).

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: he, him, his
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 05:53:27 am »
What do you prefer?
Why?

Thanks y'all <3

I use a Triquetra Altar Cloth and there are also three small Triquetras on my offering bowl. (The Altar & Shrine inspiration and pics thread in the Paganism for Beginners section is great if you have not already found it, I'll post a pic sometime). I use this symbol for its ancient Celtic appearance and to me it represents Triplicity and the three realms of Land, Sea & Sky. The true specific historical meaning varies on the information source it seems.

The Pentagram I don't know a huge amount about but it is not relevant to Celtic / Gaelic religion and as I'm concentrating on this specific path I do not use it.

Tags: