Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Pentagram, Triquetra, or both on your altar  (Read 5711 times)

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: he, him, his
Re: Pentagram, Triquetra, or both on your altar
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 05:58:28 am »
Quote from: Hippie-Witch;195201
Thank you for the water suggestions :D
I would love to start collecting different water :) I love the idea of blessed moon and blessed sun water. Both are good for different things in different ways. Can you use distilled water so the water doesn't go stagnant? Or is spring water or filtered water better?

On the water topic there are lots of different ways to use it or water types people use in their own practice. I use a small hand blown glass bottle containing rain water to represent the Sky. So far my cat has shown no interest in venturing onto my Altar, he bypasses it to sit on the window sill nearby so hopefully it stays safe :whis:

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 07:36:48 am »
Quote from: Oskar;195321

The Pentagram I don't know a huge amount about but it is not relevant to Celtic / Gaelic religion and as I'm concentrating on this specific path I do not use it.

As I said above I don't use it either but it does very very occasionally pop up in Welsh practice. Specifically it was sometimes carved on babies cradles to protect them  (ref Marie Trevelyan  Folklore and Folk Stories of Wales). Whether this was from the Tylwyth Teg ( probably) or from a Christian perspective is not recorded.

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: he, him, his
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 06:31:48 am »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;195324
As I said above I don't use it either but it does very very occasionally pop up in Welsh practice. Specifically it was sometimes carved on babies cradles to protect them  (ref Marie Trevelyan  Folklore and Folk Stories of Wales). Whether this was from the Tylwyth Teg ( probably) or from a Christian perspective is not recorded.

Ah very interesting ! Thank you, I stand corrected ;) As I'm practicing from a more Scottish perspective I'll stay with the Triquetra and other more familiar symbols though.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 11:29:14 am »
Quote from: Oskar;195351
Ah very interesting ! Thank you, I stand corrected ;) As I'm practicing from a more Scottish perspective I'll stay with the Triquetra and other more familiar symbols though.

It is the only reference I've ever found to it in the Welsh Celtic practice and I was really surprised to see it too. I'd like to know the roots of it - maybe from non conformist christianity?  You're right in saying it isn't generally associated with Celtic ways.

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 09:06:55 pm »
Quote from: Hippie-Witch;195175
I love what you wrote here, that was for sure something I took into consideration.
The triquetra is more a symbol of "mind, body, spirit" that can also be used as a symbol for earth, meanwhile the pentagram is all four elements as well as spirit at the top.

Looking over what I have, I realized I already have a symbol for earth. I have a large Himalayan rock salt candle holder that is meant to purify the air as it burns. The only thing I don't have an active symbol for is water, and that can be added during divination and craft work. (I don't like having water out. I have a cat and that's just asking for trouble)

I totally agree with this. The triquetra  for me is not enveloping everything I believe in. The pentagram encompasses 'all'. I'm more drawn to it because of the representation of all the elements.

Pallando

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 07:20:17 pm »
Quote from: Hippie-Witch;195115
... I've never placed either symbols on my altar before and I was considering both...

Googled: Pentagram Triquerta

Tags: