Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Who are the mods? & login times.  (Read 6794 times)

winterleaf

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Who are the mods? & login times.
« on: July 30, 2016, 05:33:29 pm »
Hi,

Is there a list, somewhere, of all the mods so members can contact them if they need to?  If so, where?

Also is there a way to stop the sight kicking me out every time a close the tab for just a short period?  It's quite annoying.  I'd like to stay logged in, at least logged in for longer.  If not, that is my suggestion.  Let us stay logged in/logged in longer.

Thanks

Part 2.

Also can you explain the different colour coding of the cauldron icons in the forum etc.. Such as blue vs grey...?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:37:33 pm by winterleaf »

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Who are the mods? & login times.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 06:31:19 pm »
Quote from: winterleaf;194514

Is there a list, somewhere, of all the mods so members can contact them if they need to?  If so, where?

Are you accessing the forum via the web, or via Tapatalk? On the web (http://ecauldron.com/forum), there's a sidebar on the right that lists Cauldron staff. The active staff for message board questions are under the 'Message Board staff'. (So, Sunflower is the board coordinator, and Aster Breo is the assistant, and then there's a list of other names.)

If you have a question about whether a particular post is okay or against our rules, the best thing to do is use the report button (a little icon with an exclamation point in the bottom left corner of the post) - this sends it to a staff only area where all staff can see it, and you don't have to wait for a particular staff member to log in.

(Many of us are around several times a day, most days, but people do take vacations, move, get sick, etc. so if you only send a message to one person and they don't log on for a few days, no one else can see it.)

One other note is that mostly the staff here view moderation as a smaller duty than many others (things like helping direct questions to the best folder, providing background material or other content, etc.). So we use the term 'staff' here, not mods.

Also is there a way to stop the sight kicking me out every time a close the tab for just a short period?  It's quite annoying.  I'd like to stay logged in, at least logged in for longer.  If not, that is my suggestion.  Let us stay logged in/logged in longer.

This is a function of cookies on your computer interacting with the site, probably - by the login space, there should be a little checkbox that says "Keep me logged in" - if you check that, and allow cookies from the site, it should keep you logged in better.

If it doesn't, if you can post more about what you're using to access the site (Computer? Tablet? Mobile device? Which operating system? Which browser?) people can help you troubleshoot in more detail.

Also can you explain the different colour coding of the cauldron icons in the forum etc.. Such as blue vs grey...?

If you're looking at the forum on the web on the default theme, the blue cauldrons indicate there are messages in that folder you haven't read, and gray cauldrons indicate that you've read everything in that folder.

A number of people just use the 'new posts' link at the top of the forum, open tabs with posts they're interested in, and then mark the forum read when they've read everything of interest to them. (Also handy when you can't figure out why a larger folder still has a message it thinks you haven't read, which sometimes happens to me.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

winterleaf

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 06:16:27 am »
Quote from: Jenett;194515
there's a sidebar on the right that lists Cauldron staff. The active staff for message board questions are under the 'Message Board staff'.

Yeah, it's just that the titles aren't very helpful.  I think it might be useful to have a sticky explaining what the 'Cauldron Council' is exactly?  Or what 'reserve staff' are?  Reserve for what?  

we use the term 'staff' here, not mods.

I think that's part of the confusion, for new people at least.  'Staff' is so broad.  But if it works the way it is, I guess this is just a very small point for a newbie here to make.  :)

by the login space, there should be a little checkbox that says "Keep me logged in"

Nope, I don't see it.  I am using a macbook pro, OS X 10.11.6, on ff 47.0.

If you're looking at the forum on the web on the default theme, the blue cauldrons indicate there are messages in that folder you haven't read, and gray cauldrons indicate that you've read everything in that folder.

That simply cannot be true.  Almost all my cauldrons are grey, and I've only been here a few days and only read a few threads.  :confused:

Thank you for going through my points and confusions!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 08:33:10 am »
Quote from: winterleaf;194527
I think it might be useful to have a sticky explaining what the 'Cauldron Council' is exactly?  Or what 'reserve staff' are?  Reserve for what?

We're in the process of constructing a FAQ about just what staff do (which, when completed, will be a sticky post in the 'Cauldron Announcements' forum) - no one had yet thought about including an explanation of 'Reserve Staff' or 'Cauldron Council', but that certainly should be part of it. Thank you for asking that!

Basically, Reserve Staff are staff members who can't be active enough to handle staff tasks on a day-to-day basis, but who do perform staff duties when they are around. The Cauldron Council is generally made up of former staff who are no longer active on the board but retain staff access and staff powers.

That simply cannot be true.  Almost all my cauldrons are grey, and I've only been here a few days and only read a few threads.  :confused:

This is probably because 'unread' status expires - if no posts are made to a forum for a while (two weeks, IIRC), its cauldron will show as grey again (similarly, the 'envelope' icon on a thread will change from 'flap open' to 'flap closed' - its color codes are more complicated, but there is a key at the bottom of every page showing what indicates what). So a new member like yourself, instead of seeing an undifferentiated array of 'contains unread posts', can tell at a glance which forums and threads have (fairly) recent activity.

That will also affect the 'new posts' function that Jenett mentioned - if you didn't look at posts at all for a month, clicking 'new posts' would only show those made in the immediately-previous two weeks, not everything new since you last checked.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

winterleaf

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 08:42:01 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;194532
[...]

Thank you for the explanations.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 08:43:25 am »
Quote from: winterleaf;194527
Yeah, it's just that the titles aren't very helpful.  I think it might be useful to have a sticky explaining what the 'Cauldron Council' is exactly?  Or what 'reserve staff' are?  Reserve for what?

Reserve Staff and the Council aren't part of the daily nuts'n'bolts of running the site. While some of them have other Staff duties and you'll run into them, others are very unlikely to show up until something has gone seriously pear-shaped.

I think that's part of the confusion, for new people at least.  'Staff' is so broad.  But if it works the way it is, I guess this is just a very small point for a newbie here to make.  :)

It's broad because we wear many hats and content moderation is only part of what Staff does.

Assuming I am remembering rightly...

On the main forum page, grey cauldrons indicate that there have been no new posts in that main category since your last visit to the site. Blue cauldrons indicate that there are new posts. You can have a multitude of unread posts within one of the categories, but if none are new since your last visit it will show as grey.

This is also true if a main category has subforums (such as the forum areas of Special Interest Groups & Special Discussions and Life, the Universe, and Everything Else). The cauldron will be blue and the subforum with new posts will have a little blue speech bubble.

I hope that explains what it is that you're curious about. :)

Edited to Add: Sunflower is a posting ninja.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 08:45:25 am by Allaya »
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 08:55:02 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;194532
(similarly, the 'envelope' icon on a thread will change from 'flap open' to 'flap closed' - its color codes are more complicated, but there is a key at the bottom of every page showing what indicates what)

Correction: it's not 'flap open'/'flap closed', but a hard-to-describe-in-words thing that seems to involve edges of papers above/behind the envelope.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 09:03:21 am »
Quote from: Allaya;194535
Edited to Add: Sunflower is a posting ninja.

Oh, goody, an excuse to use that emoticon! :ninja::ninja::ninja:

I think I like your explanation about reserve staff and the Council even better than mine.

Sunflower

winterleaf

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 01:19:58 pm »

So... is there something wrong with my setup that I'm not seeing a 'keep me logged in' button anywhere?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:43:17 pm by SunflowerP »

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 01:56:11 pm »
Quote from: winterleaf;194556
So... is there something wrong with my setup that I'm not seeing a 'keep me logged in' button anywhere?

A Reminder:
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, and to keep the trackback code intact, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. We don't require quotes just to make 'protocol' hoops for people to jump through; we require them so that we can track each conversation using the code that links back to the post being replied to.

Also, on a different issue, staff are not at your beck and call, nor are we tech support. We're volunteers, who have lives outside TC. Jenett, who responded to you before and who is probably the one best able to address your questions about login times, is at a professional conference, and her availability will be limited. Repeating your question because it hasn't been answered quickly enough to suit you is neither polite nor productive.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 03:01:02 pm »
Quote from: winterleaf;194556

As Sunflower says, I am indeed at a professional conference (or rather, on site for it, the thing starts tomorrow.) At the time you posted your details, I was in the process of boarding a plane. (I think, if I've got my timezone and offset right.)

More to the point, this means that I am on my iPad and keyboard, rather than from my home computer, where it would be easier to troubleshoot or post a screenshot of where to look, so I'm hoping other people may be able to help you when they have time.

To start, however: when you go to the main webpage of the forum (again, http://ecauldron.com/forum) you should see a space at the top right (right at the top) where it has entry spaces for your username and password. Right below the username box should be a small checkbox and text that says "Remember me."

If you have not tried clicking that and logging in, try logging out, clicking it, and then logging in again.

If you have tried clicking it, and logging in already, you may want to try clearing cookies in your browser (Firefox's help menu can help you with this, I don't recall offhand where it is in the current option set, as it's not my primary browser of choice) and then log in again with the option clicked.

Sometimes it's won't remember people for a little bit, and then something happens and it's fine. For a long time for me, it wouldn't look like I'd logged in on the front page of the forum, but as soon as I clicked on 'new posts' or another page, it would show me as logged in. (And it wouldn't log me out.) At the time, I was using a different forum theme than the default, so it was very obvious if I was logged in or not.

(I'm actually having a lot of issues staying logged into various sites - not just forums - today, but I can't tell if that's the iPad, the fact I've been on four different wifi networks in the past 8 hours, or something else going on.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

winterleaf

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 03:37:52 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;194562
A Reminder:
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, and to keep the trackback code intact, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. We don't require quotes just to make 'protocol' hoops for people to jump through; we require them so that we can track each conversation using the code that links back to the post being replied to.

Also, on a different issue, staff are not at your beck and call, nor are we tech support. We're volunteers, who have lives outside TC. Jenett, who responded to you before and who is probably the one best able to address your questions about login times, is at a professional conference, and her availability will be limited. Repeating your question because it hasn't been answered quickly enough to suit you is neither polite nor productive.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff

Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 03:38:35 pm by winterleaf »

winterleaf

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 03:53:07 pm »
Quote from: winterleaf;194570
Sorry.

I did quote. I don't know why the bubble is blank.  I'm just as confused.  But first I wanted to apologise, regardless.

I only brought the issue back because I was worried that the more recent posts would bury the point that wasn't addressed.  Not because I'm being trying to be a diva or anything (not), I just didn't want it getting lost.  Nothing to do with how quickly it was getting responded too - posts can get buried, that's all.  I'm sure you're all busy - that's why I tried to bring it back to the surface, so the latest issue would be there for whoever to reference when they were ready.  We're all busy in some way ;)

Thank you for the troubleshoot.  Yes, I see 'remember me' and I think you're right - it seems to be catching on now as it wasn't doing so earlier.  Weird that.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 04:45:22 pm »
Quote from: winterleaf;194572
I only brought the issue back because I was worried that the more recent posts would bury the point that wasn't addressed.  Not because I'm being trying to be a diva or anything (not), I just didn't want it getting lost.  Nothing to do with how quickly it was getting responded too - posts can get buried, that's all.  I'm sure you're all busy - that's why I tried to bring it back to the surface, so the latest issue would be there for whoever to reference when they were ready.  We're all busy in some way ;)

This is why it's good to sit back and observe forum culture before getting right into the middle of things. I lurked for at least a year before I created an account so that I was less likely to get myself into trouble. I don't figure on most folks lurking for anywhere near as long as I did, but the point remains.

TC is quite different than pretty much any other pagan forum I've chanced upon. There is something of a methodical, academic bent to the way we collectively operate for the most part and jumping into a thread without bothering to read the previous posts is not something you'll see much. (That's mainly why we insist on having trackback quotes, so that TC can foster deeper and more complicated discussions.)

You will find as you spend time here that posts don't tend to get buried in most threads. Posting with that assumption in play can indeed result in others perceiving that the poster is impatient, huffy, ignored what was said to them, or just really bad at reading comprehension.

I hope that helps. TC does have a steep learning curve, but that's part of why a lot of us (both old and new) like it so much. It makes you learn and grow and evolve.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 04:50:34 pm »
Quote from: winterleaf;194572
I did quote. I don't know why the bubble is blank.  I'm just as confused.

Almost certainly because, in the process of deleting the text from whatever you were quoting (which is absolutely fine, and in fact we encourage people to trim quotes), you also deleted the trackback code that provides a link back to the quoted post. It's fairly easy to do if you're not used to it, and/or not careful.

Also - this is the part I fixed - when you delete all the content from a quote, you need to make sure the opening and closing quote code are on separate lines, or the quote vanishes. It's still there, but it's not visible. This is a thing the software does for some reason, and we have no way of changing it - just about everybody has it happen from time to time, and it's only a rules issue if someone is doing it a lot even after being reminded about it.

Sunflower

Tags: