collapse

Author Topic: Rat Deity  (Read 13996 times)

Zeta

• View Profile
Rat Deity
« on: July 30, 2016, 12:35:13 pm »
So I'm researching deities that might be interested in watching over a baby wild rat I'm rehabilitating, and all I've come up with is Ninkilim, a Mesopotamian god/dess (possibly a dual-gendered divinity), but there is frustratingly little online about him/her. Does anyone have suggestions of deities that I might be more familiar with or are more popular that would care about the wellbeing of a rat, or can anyone point me to some resources on getting to know Ninkilim?

Thanks in advance.
I don\'t talk to many other Pagans, but that doesn\'t mean I don\'t know what I\'m doing. I\'d rather tell someone to eff off than use magic to achieve the same goal. I\'m not interested in nitpicking over terminology. I do not negotiate with terrorists. Step away from the goats. Many blessings to you.

Merlick

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Germanic Witch
Re: Rat Deity
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 02:31:17 pm »
Quote from: Zeta;194507
So I'm researching deities that might be interested in watching over a baby wild rat I'm rehabilitating, and all I've come up with is Ninkilim, a Mesopotamian god/dess (possibly a dual-gendered divinity), but there is frustratingly little online about him/her. Does anyone have suggestions of deities that I might be more familiar with or are more popular that would care about the wellbeing of a rat, or can anyone point me to some resources on getting to know Ninkilim?

Thanks in advance.

That's a tough one.

Since rats were in most places seen as bad omens and bringers of diseases people were more eager to pray to a deity, who kept them preferrably far away from their homestead. An easier task would it be, if you focused more on the caring aspect since it's still a baby.

Maybe you could ask the norse goddess Frigga to keep an eye on the little one. She's lost a son herself and knows how painful that is so she might be extra protective.

Zeta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 03:56:38 pm »
Quote from: Merlick;194510
That's a tough one.

Since rats were in most places seen as bad omens and bringers of diseases people were more eager to pray to a deity, who kept them preferrably far away from their homestead. An easier task would it be, if you focused more on the caring aspect since it's still a baby.

Maybe you could ask the norse goddess Frigga to keep an eye on the little one. She's lost a son herself and knows how painful that is so she might be extra protective.

True. I have found it so difficult to find rodent-related deities and patrons, hopefully she will understand my caring for him. I am also a mother, so perhaps the relationship will be better to start off with, since I am aware of Frigga, but I had never heard of Ninkilim until this instance of wanting a rat protector/tress.

I released him today and I am not myself. Thank you for the suggestion, I doubt I would have arrived at it by myself.
I don\'t talk to many other Pagans, but that doesn\'t mean I don\'t know what I\'m doing. I\'d rather tell someone to eff off than use magic to achieve the same goal. I\'m not interested in nitpicking over terminology. I do not negotiate with terrorists. Step away from the goats. Many blessings to you.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:53:52 am »
Quote from: Zeta;194511
True. I have found it so difficult to find rodent-related deities and patrons, hopefully she will understand my caring for him. I am also a mother, so perhaps the relationship will be better to start off with, since I am aware of Frigga, but I had never heard of Ninkilim until this instance of wanting a rat protector/tress.

I released him today and I am not myself. Thank you for the suggestion, I doubt I would have arrived at it by myself.

I'm not sure that this will help, but we went over rodent stuff here, and something might help:
http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?12058-Mice-in-folklore

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 05:48:13 pm »
Quote from: Zeta;194511

You might also consider Quan Yin, who traditionally is compassionate towards all beings, including ones that are considered "vermin".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 10:18:59 am »
Quote from: Zeta;194507
Does anyone have suggestions of deities that I might be more familiar with or are more popular that would care about the wellbeing of a rat, or can anyone point me to some resources on getting to know Ninkilim?

Thanks in advance.

The vahana (vehicle, mount) of Lord Ganesha is a rat (or mouse). The Hindu sage Karni Mata is worshiped as an incarnation of Goddess Durga, and patroness of rats. Her temple is where thousands of rats are revered and cared for.

Tags: