Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Author Topic: Odin, Yahweh, and Awilix?!  (Read 5530 times)

Ghostoffans

• View Profile
Odin, Yahweh, and Awilix?!
« on: July 29, 2016, 04:44:45 am »
So, I have a great bit to bring and question.

I was walking around in a school track during a cloudy day, I was mad because I didn't want to, but was forced to go, I was playing meditation music and I felt calm, the earth gave me energy and the lightning looked beautiful than shocking, but ad I was walking I looked up at a cloud and say the face of Odin, His one eye gone, the beard, and the helmet, looked exactly like I remember seeing him as, along with a woman as well, after that encounter, I felt a spirit inside me, not my own, but some thing in my chest wanting to come out! Is this Odin calling out to me?

Next, I was on my bed, and I used to be a Christian and then left the religion, but the songs were always stuck with me, so I listened to some music and I felt light, and someone watching me, protecting me. Is this Yahweh/Yahshua(Jesus)? Calling me back?

Last, I had about two dreams of seeing black jaguars or Panthers if y'all want to, they were black and friendly to me as well, I looked up the Mayan religion to see who has it as a sacred animal and boom, Awilix was the one, so, what does this mean?

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Odin, Yahweh, and Awilix?!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:08:54 am »
Quote from: Ghostoffans;194464
Next, I was on my bed, and I used to be a Christian and then left the religion, but the songs were always stuck with me, so I listened to some music and I felt light, and someone watching me, protecting me. Is this Yahweh/Yahshua(Jesus)? Calling me back?

From the point of view of most forms of Christianity, it is not possible to worship both the Abrahamitic God and other deities, but, from the point of view of paganism in the Roman Empire, it is. Non-Jews and non-Christians in the Roman Empire acknowledged the existence of God and some even worshipped it.

While the temple in Jerusalem still existed, Jewish priests accepted sacrificial victims to God brought to the temple by pagans, and sacrificed these on the behalf of the donors while reciting Psalm 100 (Heb)/99 (LXX).

The Greek and the Romans tried to interpret the Jewish God by translating it into one of the gods known to them, but the choice of translation wasn't uniform: Both Jupiter, Saturn and Liber/Bacchus was used as a translation of the Jewish God, as attested by Varro. Later, and under the influence of Grek-speaking Egyptians, the name of YHWH was transliterated into Greek and Coptic as Iao. Non-Jewish authors couldn't agree about the nature and function of Iao in the world-view. Among some (especially some Gnostics), Iao was just one of the planetary gods, but, in the thought of the influential pagan theologian Cornelius Labeo (based on the oracle of Clarus), Iao is the supreme deity - revealing itself as Hades/Dis Pater in winter, Zeus/Jupiter in spring, Helios/Sol in summer and Dionysus/Liber Pater in autumn. In the Greek Magical Papyri from Egypt several different (and internally inconsistent) views of Iao are expressed.

Christianity doesn't necessarily mean denial of the existence of the pagan deities, even if that view is the most frequent one within Christianity. In the world-view of the very unusual Catholic Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa, pagan deities exist (under God) and may assist magical operations in a beneficial way. Another unusual Catholic to check is Marsilio Ficino, who was a Catholic priest who performed planetary magic. Giordano Bruno belonged to a similar line of thought, but he was declared a heretic by the church, and was executed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:10:38 am by RecycledBenedict »

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:49:03 pm »

I was walking around in a school track during a cloudy day, I was mad because I didn't want to, but was forced to go, I was playing meditation music and I felt calm, the earth gave me energy and the lightning looked beautiful than shocking, but ad I was walking I looked up at a cloud and say the face of Odin, His one eye gone, the beard, and the helmet, looked exactly like I remember seeing him as, along with a woman as well, after that encounter, I felt a spirit inside me, not my own, but some thing in my chest wanting to come out! Is this Odin calling out to me?

Last, I had about two dreams of seeing black jaguars or Panthers if y'all want to, they were black and friendly to me as well, I looked up the Mayan religion to see who has it as a sacred animal and boom, Awilix was the one, so, what does this mean?

Worship all. See if this causes dissatisfaction on any of the parts (or yourself).

Ghostoffans

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 03:04:42 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;194473
From the point of view of most forms of Christianity, it is not possible to worship both the Abrahamitic God and other deities, but, from the point of view of paganism in the Roman Empire, it is. Non-Jews and non-Christians in the Roman Empire acknowledged the existence of God and some even worshipped it.

While the temple in Jerusalem still existed, Jewish priests accepted sacrificial victims to God brought to the temple by pagans, and sacrificed these on the behalf of the donors while reciting Psalm 100 (Heb)/99 (LXX).

The Greek and the Romans tried to interpret the Jewish God by translating it into one of the gods known to them, but the choice of translation wasn't uniform: Both Jupiter, Saturn and Liber/Bacchus was used as a translation of the Jewish God, as attested by Varro. Later, and under the influence of Grek-speaking Egyptians, the name of YHWH was transliterated into Greek and Coptic as Iao. Non-Jewish authors couldn't agree about the nature and function of Iao in the world-view. Among some (especially some Gnostics), Iao was just one of the planetary gods, but, in the thought of the influential pagan theologian Cornelius Labeo (based on the oracle of Clarus), Iao is the supreme deity - revealing itself as Hades/Dis Pater in winter, Zeus/Jupiter in spring, Helios/Sol in summer and Dionysus/Liber Pater in autumn. In the Greek Magical Papyri from Egypt several different (and internally inconsistent) views of Iao are expressed.

Christianity doesn't necessarily mean denial of the existence of the pagan deities, even if that view is the most frequent one within Christianity. In the world-view of the very unusual Catholic Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa, pagan deities exist (under God) and may assist magical operations in a beneficial way. Another unusual Catholic to check is Marsilio Ficino, who was a Catholic priest who performed planetary magic. Giordano Bruno belonged to a similar line of thought, but he was declared a heretic by the church, and was executed.

My reason for leaving Christianity was the denial of many paths and the restriction of what it has, I know about what they want, but I want to be me, I'm a androgynous male and also bi, it effected me and my beliefs of what I want to be and who I am.

Ghostoffans

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 03:05:25 am »
Quote from: Pteranotropi;194486
Worship all. See if this causes dissatisfaction on any of the parts (or yourself).

I'll try, but of course it'll be hard, mainly Odin and Awilix.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 06:53:00 am »
Quote from: Ghostoffans;194600
My reason for leaving Christianity was the denial of many paths and the restriction of what it has, I know about what they want, but I want to be me, I'm a androgynous male and also bi, it effected me and my beliefs of what I want to be and who I am.

I hope that you will find a spiritual path suitable for you. That might be one or another form of Paganism, but if you feel a connection to the Christian God (as you seemed in your initial post) it might also be a form of Christianity that welcome LGBTQIA people, such as (but not limited to) the Liberal Catholic Church, Metropolitan Community Church or Apostolic Johannite Church. Then there is the Unitarian Universalist Association, which welcomes both Pagans, Christians, Agnostics and everyone else. There are lots of options out there. Good luck!

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 09:02:27 pm »
Quote from: Ghostoffans;194600

I do not want to tell you how you should believe, but from your statement about being in school I'm guessing that you are young. My oldest son has just become a teenager and has told some of his friends that he is not Christian. I cautioned him with my personal experiences about not being too open about spirituality with anyone. Young people can be extreme about their views on "outsiders."

Don't try to force yourself to be spiritually loyal to one deity at a time. When I first started Paganism I used the Wicca: Guide to the Solitary Practitioner book by Scott Cunningham as my base for practice and subbed out gods frequently. In hindsight I think I was too liberal with my god calling. Now I do not even use any deity in my practice, even though I strongly believe I had an encounter with Hekate.

The best way to go is to use your judgement and own common sense about the gods you invoke. You can use your student status and research the hearth cultures that worshiped the gods that you feel drawn toward. If anyone asks why you can say that you are working on an assignment or writing a story.

If you are asking for a suggestion as to which god to begin with in your meditations and practice I tentatively suggest Dionysus, only because that you admitted your sexuality and your past associations with Christianity. Dionysus was the god that I used the most in my early practice within the Greek pantheon. I didn't experience any connection with him, I just liked his stories and he is still my favorite Greek god next to Pan.

I hope you have nothing but good experiences as you find your path.

TheRaginPagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 08:07:15 pm »
after that encounter, I felt a spirit inside me, not my own, but some thing in my chest wanting to come out! Is this Odin calling out to me?

From what I know of Odin, his call would not be so obvious. He is sly, and a master of disguises. If he calls you, you would not realize it was him until after you're on the path.

Dusk

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 09:00:17 pm »

What leads you to believe it was Awilix specifically? Jaguars are very, very closely associated with several deities in Central and South American cultures, as well as being notorious shapeshifters, and Jaguar being a spirit themself. I have been working with Jaguar for years, so I can give you more advice if it's them. Seeing jaguars in a dream is a really typical sign from Jaguar.

I would caution against getting involved with anyone from the Maya pantheon without doing a great deal of research and ensuring you can worship them respectfully. Preferably, having Maya heritage yourself. People of that culture are still endangering themselves by practicing their traditional religion, they've been victims of genocide as recently as the 1980s. Taking elements of that religion out of context for your own use if you do not come from that culture can be considered inherently disrespectful, so just proceed carefully.
Shadows of Dusk - My tumblr with bits and musings related to my path.

YungMeatRabbit

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 08:26:38 pm »

Well, I don't know a ton about Heathenry, so I may not be 100% accurate here, but I do know that many Heathens don't view the gods as caring about individuals neccesarily, instead caring about larger groups of individuals-usually family/friend groups or Kindreds.  So it's possible that Odin isn't calling you as an individual and is instead calling you to a Heathen path.  Again, I don't know and I wouldn't say that the Norse gods never care about individuals, I'm just stating the Heathen view.  I don't know.  Just look at the situation from both PoV's and see which one makes more sense to you.  PoV 1 being Odin is calling you as an individual and PoV 2 being Odin calling you to a Heathen path and not specifically wanting you as an individual to worship you.

These are just my 2 cents.  Hope it helps and good luck on your journey.

TheRaginPagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 11:05:42 pm »
Quote from: YungMeatRabbit;195435
many Heathens don't view the gods as caring about individuals neccesarily, instead caring about larger groups of individuals-usually family/friend groups or Kindreds.

For some Gods, more-or-less yes. Gods like Sunna and Mani, or Ran and Njord, they're not exactly prone to caring about the individual. Odin, though, tends to like individual stories as well as tribal journeys. So it's not entirely out of the question that Odin might have called to him personally.

sionnachdearg

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 02:48:10 pm »
Quote from: TheRaginPagan;195203
From what I know of Odin, his call would not be so obvious. He is sly, and a master of disguises. If he calls you, you would not realize it was him until after you're on the path.

How did you find this out about Odin. Interesting but how would you know it is not someone else?

sionnachdearg

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 02:51:11 pm »
Quote from: TheRaginPagan;195448
For some Gods, more-or-less yes. Gods like Sunna and Mani, or Ran and Njord, they're not exactly prone to caring about the individual. Odin, though, tends to like individual stories as well as tribal journeys. So it's not entirely out of the question that Odin might have called to him personally.

Where do you get these detail about these gods? How do you know that some are not prone to caring about the individual and others like Odin does?

TheRaginPagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 09:09:36 pm »
Quote from: sionnachdearg;195481
How did you find this out about Odin.

From "the Lore" - the Sagas and Eddas - we can discern that Odin was a wanderer, gathering songs and tales in his travels and learning of the people that he visited, and that he both tricked people (seen in the tale of his deception of Suttungr) and even fell victim to the deceptions of another (Billing's daughter).

Then there's UPG; personal encounter with Odin. Tellings of those who believe they have had interaction with the Allfather. Beggars on the street, or old men at a bar (for example) never seen again, who offer advice or wisdom that turns out to be far more true than possibly thought, and a sense of revelation that one spoke to Odin. Or even ravens watching as one passes, and getting a feeling that Odin watches what we do.

Quote from: sionnachdearg;195482
Where do you get these detail about these gods? How do you know that some are not prone to caring about the individual and others like Odin does?

Mostly from (I'm)personal interaction with them. Thor, the thunderstorm, hardly seems to care in specifics what happens below should we remain foolish enough to stay in harm's path as he rages across the sky. Ran, the sea, hardly cares at all what happens above the waves, and those who travel her roads are entirely at her mercy.

Sunna, the sun, does not know our names, and does not care who worships her, knows her, or shuns her; she shines for all, and burns all. Much the same for Mani, the moon.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 01:01:20 am »
Quote from: TheRaginPagan;195488
Mostly from (I'm)personal interaction with them. Thor, the thunderstorm, hardly seems to care in specifics what happens below should we remain foolish enough to stay in harm's path as he rages across the sky. Ran, the sea, hardly cares at all what happens above the waves, and those who travel her roads are entirely at her mercy.

Thor is certainly as fallible in the lore as Odin, where he travels widely, stays with humans (and takes two kids into his service for harm done to his goat), is basically laughed at by the Aesir as Freya and Loki doll him up in a bridal gown, and falls prey to an illusion that the Serpent is a housecat he's unable to lift from the floor.

Just in my general experience of heathens, I often see him discussed as one of the more approachable gods, the friend of man and protector of Midgard. My own experience of Thor has been similarly down-to-earth.

I mean, I've worked with Ran, but it's not unreasonable to say she doesn't give much of a fuck for the goings on above the waters. Thor, though, that just doesn't match my experience so I thought a second POV might be useful.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:02:00 am by Jack »
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Tags: