Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Happy Lughnasadh!  (Read 5285 times)

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Happy Lughnasadh!
« on: July 26, 2016, 07:41:38 pm »
As the waning moon is shining coppery red through my eastern windows, I see that Lughnasadh season has begun. Happy Lughnasadh, everyone! How about sharing celebration ideas?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:47:08 pm by RecycledBenedict »

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan. kitchen witch.
Re: Happy Lughnasadh!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 07:49:57 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;194412
As the waning moon is shining coppery red through my eastern windows, I see that Lughnasadh season has begun. Happy Lughnasadh, everyone!

Oh, I need that view.  

Happy Lughnasadh!  Love the feeling right now and during all shifts of seasons.  I'm the harvest sign, and the harvest season makes my soul sing.  I hope you enjoy the first harvest and the season it beckons in.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 08:16:55 pm »
Quote from: milkeyedmender;194414
I hope you enjoy the first harvest and the season it beckons in.

Thank you for your greeting, and I hope that your celebration will be blessed too. Does first harvest mean grain harvest? Please remember, that we all live under different weather conditions, and this is the only grain harvest I know of here up north.

Each of the eight modern Druid annual festivals get a different content, depending on where you live. For comparison, in the Middle East spring equinox will be 'first harvest'.   Imbolc is usually the middle part of winter here up north (not the beginning of spring, as some American Pagan books want it to be).

mortarandpestle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 08:20:39 pm »
As the waning moon is shining coppery red through my eastern windows, I see that Lughnasadh season has begun. Happy Lughnasadh, everyone! How about sharing celebration ideas?

I have some bread recipes I  want to  expierement  with.   Perhaps make a wreath or door swag of dried wheat and sunflowers.

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 10:51:42 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;194418
Thank you for your greeting, and I hope that your celebration will be blessed too. Does first harvest mean grain harvest? Please remember, that we all live under different weather conditions, and this is the only grain harvest I know of here up north.

Each of the eight modern Druid annual festivals get a different content, depending on where you live. For comparison, in the Middle East spring equinox will be 'first harvest'.   Imbolc is usually the middle part of winter here up north (not the beginning of spring, as some American Pagan books want it to be).

Alas, in my mind it's the first of many harvests.  I live in the deep south and we have a long growing season. Our season lasts from March-November.  We don't, however, grow much grain besides corn.  So, in my mind (created from my surroundings) this is the first of the most plentiful harvests.  During autumn months, our harvests are larger and more varied than what we can produce during the very hot summer.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 10:53:17 pm »

Happy Lughnasadh/whatever else you celebrate!

I don't celebrate Lughnasadh, as Lugh has nothing to do with my practice. Instead I'll be celebrating Loafmass for the first time this year. I've spent some time figuring out what goes in this holiday spot, and even longer figuring out what it means. I think I've finally got more than a vague handwave, so I'm in the process of writing a ritual and planning out my celebration.

Part of it will include baking my first loaf of bread, ever. I hope. (The "loaf" in Loafmass.) If that fails, well, guess I'll be visiting COBS Bread.

Also, berries. BC gets wild berries all summer, but August is when they really kick up, with a Blackberry Festival the last week of the month in my mom's hometown. So, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries are all in season. So are apples, but I associate them more with Sept/October and the season of the dead.

(You can see what else is in season year-round in BC at this website.)

Anyway, the ritual is only half-written at this point, but so far it's looking pretty good. I think I'll do a mirroring with Imbolc where I left water out overnight on the altar and kept it for blessings.

Now the only problem is finding a new altar, as furniture re-arrangement has made the hearth inaccessible....
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 11:07:21 pm »
Quote from: Morag;194423

I don't celebrate Lughnasadh, as Lugh has nothing to do with my practice. Instead I'll be celebrating Loafmass for the first time this year. I've spent some time figuring out what goes in this holiday spot, and even longer figuring out what it means. I think I've finally got more than a vague handwave, so I'm in the process of writing a ritual and planning out my celebration.

Part of it will include baking my first loaf of bread, ever. I hope. (The "loaf" in Loafmass.) If that fails, well, guess I'll be visiting COBS Bread.

Also, berries. BC gets wild berries all summer, but August is when they really kick up, with a Blackberry Festival the last week of the month in my mom's hometown. So, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries are all in season. So are apples, but I associate them more with Sept/October and the season of the dead.

(You can see what else is in season year-round in BC at this website.)

Anyway, the ritual is only half-written at this point, but so far it's looking pretty good. I think I'll do a mirroring with Imbolc where I left water out overnight on the altar and kept it for blessings.

Now the only problem is finding a new altar, as furniture re-arrangement has made the hearth inaccessible....

Do you have a particular bread you're planning on making?  I've recently been making bread and have finally succeeded in making an actual loaf.  

I think I lean more towards Lammas.  Some (my) interpretation of it.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 12:06:35 am »
Quote from: milkeyedmender;194425
Do you have a particular bread you're planning on making?  I've recently been making bread and have finally succeeded in making an actual loaf.

Hadn't decided yet, though I'm leaning towards this zucchini loaf from Bread a Day. It leans more towards cake than bread, and is less likely for me to mess up.

I've been intending to get into baking breads for the longest time now, and it just seems to never happen for one reason or another (most recently the reason has been tendinitis). Hoping to change that soon.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 12:08:51 am »
Quote from: Morag;194423

And Happy Imbolc, to our friends in the Southern Hemisphere!

(Knew I forgot to add something in my initial post... :o)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 12:07:40 pm »

Being in the southern US our harvest right now is mostly garden vegs such as tomato, cucumber, okra, and corn. We've found a wild blackberry patch in the park closest to our house so I'm hoping that there will be enough berries left that I can make something with them- I'm hoping to make a blackberry spoon bread. (If you're unfamiliar, spoon bread is halfway between cornbread and cornmeal pudding- a creamy, rich, cornbread made with lots of eggs and cream that you literally have to spoon out onto your plate).

Since the kids leave for scout camp on the 30th I'll probably do the big dinner the night before, which will have both the spoon bread and a cucumber/tomato salad from the garden. Still deciding what else to make along with it. I'll probably make some sort of bread for the holiday itself, by hand instead of using the stand mixer. For an occasion like this it needs that personal touch, even if I do get better results with the mixer. :whis:

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 12:50:59 pm »

Happy Gŵyl Awst from Wales.

My celebrations tend to centre around the sacrificial elements akin to John Barleycorn

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 07:10:27 am »

Happy Lunasa! The weather changed here about a week ago, started to get to that 'unusually hot for here' stage that I associate with late July and August. I celebrate seasonal changes more than harvests, as I don't grow much that's edible, although I have had a few ears of wheat on my working altar recently to acknowledge the wheat harvest (which I benefit from!) In the Gaelic polytheist community, Lunasa is associated with games of skill and athletics, as appropriate for Lugh Samildanach (the many-skilled). I am not exactly an athlete so won't be doing any of that, but I do focus on skill development in this season. I've got tarot and Ogham practice to be getting on with, if I have the time in between developing my primary skills as a research student!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 02:43:11 pm »

I don't follow the Wheel of the Year exactly, I usually tend instead to celebrate the following in my own way: spring equinox, May day, summer solstice, autumn equinox, Halloween, and Yule.

But purely by coincidence this year I'll be participating in games (in this case of the LARP* kind) and having a picnic lunch with friends on Sunday (and probably also a pub dinner in the evening).  I may also try to do some baking, especially if I can find my recipe for summer fruit pudding, or perhaps I'll try a new recipe.   Finally, if possible I aim to fit in some berry picking over the weekend (and happily I have Monday off work).

(*This stands for live action roleplaying, in case anyone wonders).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:45:30 pm by Pickle »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 03:13:59 pm »
How about sharing celebration ideas?

Just across the river, in Indiana, there's a family farm called Huber's. Now, they've gotten a lot more commercial in recent years, catering to the agrotourism crowd. But I've been going there since well before that phase, and they often have periods of time where people can come and pick berries, apples, pumpkins, squashes, et al. throughout the year. As well as dates when they've done a major harvest of one crop or another, and folks can come and buy them packaged. August 1st is their blackberry crop.

Unfortunately, I work straight to August 4th and their next you-pick thing is for apples on August 5th. So I won't really have time to celebrate the local harvest season by going to pick fruit like I'd like. However, they also have a winery, and one of their wines is a blackberry wine. If I can't celebrate the harvest through actually harvesting a crop, I'll celebrate it by using one of the secondary products of the fruit.

I'm going to make a family meal and consecrate a portion to the gods of my Celtic ancestors, and make an offering of wine to the spirits. Might also use some of our backyard mint harvest, too; just reaped a shitload of wild spearmint.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 05:12:02 pm »
Quote from: Pickle;194476
I aim to fit in some berry picking

A photo of my bowl of blackberries on Deviant Art (because I can't seem to post photos on here):- http://fav.me/dacv4o7
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: