Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Feeling Stuck  (Read 1564 times)

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Feeling Stuck
« on: July 24, 2016, 05:04:30 pm »
I've tried so many paths that I'm not sure where to go from here. Most recently I've been studying Buddhism, but I'm not a Buddhist. There are valuable lessons to learn from Buddhism, but it's not my path. I've studied Wicca, traditional witchcraft, voodoo, hoodoo, basically a lot of paths. I still haven't found what's right for me. Does anyone else feel as stuck as I do? I'd like to hear about your experiences.

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling Stuck
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 05:42:28 pm »
Quote from: Izzie414;194376
I've tried so many paths that I'm not sure where to go from here. Most recently I've been studying Buddhism, but I'm not a Buddhist. There are valuable lessons to learn from Buddhism, but it's not my path. I've studied Wicca, traditional witchcraft, voodoo, hoodoo, basically a lot of paths. I still haven't found what's right for me. Does anyone else feel as stuck as I do? I'd like to hear about your experiences.

I'd also like to say that the uncertainty really started when my dog died last year. Things just haven't been the same.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:34:23 pm »
Quote from: Izzie414;194377
I'd also like to say that the uncertainty really started when my dog died last year. Things just haven't been the same.

I can certainly empathize with that sort of situation. My beloved kittybuddy passed in February 2015 and, as you said, things haven't really been the same since.

There are times when I feel very stuck or I look around me and wonder "what the hell am I even doing?"

It's good that you have explored a variety of possibilities. I sometimes don't think enough people range far and wide enough in their searching. There are many little lessons one can learn from observing the way other people approach things.

As for how to become unstuck, I think that is very much down to the individual.

For me, I get unstuck by reminding myself that there is no destination. There is just exploration, discovery, and practice. There's a reason people say "religious practice" or "spiritual practice". It is never a final product.

I am a bit musically inclined and I sometimes think of this sort of thing in terms of that. The things that we do (study, learn, experience, etc) are not rehearsals for a concert. They are jam sessions. There is no 'stuck' in a jam session. If you hit a sour note or decide that the lick you're playing doesn't suit...you just move on and keep jamming.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 06:47:52 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;194409
I can certainly empathize with that sort of situation. My beloved kittybuddy passed in February 2015 and, as you said, things haven't really been the same since.

There are times when I feel very stuck or I look around me and wonder "what the hell am I even doing?"

It's good that you have explored a variety of possibilities. I sometimes don't think enough people range far and wide enough in their searching. There are many little lessons one can learn from observing the way other people approach things.

As for how to become unstuck, I think that is very much down to the individual.

For me, I get unstuck by reminding myself that there is no destination. There is just exploration, discovery, and practice. There's a reason people say "religious practice" or "spiritual practice". It is never a final product.

I am a bit musically inclined and I sometimes think of this sort of thing in terms of that. The things that we do (study, learn, experience, etc) are not rehearsals for a concert. They are jam sessions. There is no 'stuck' in a jam session. If you hit a sour note or decide that the lick you're playing doesn't suit...you just move on and keep jamming.

I'm sorry about your kitty!

I understand what you're saying here. I need to just get back on the horse and keep going. I like how you pointed out that spiritual practice is an ever evolving thing. Thanks!

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 03:15:44 pm »
Quote from: Izzie414;194377

there is no destination. There is just exploration, discovery, and practice.

Quote from: Izzie414;194410
I like how you pointed out that spiritual practice is an ever evolving thing.

Sorry to hear about the losses of both your furry-buddies.

I, too, think this is a good outlook, it's about the journey rather than a destination.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 03:18:26 pm »
I still haven't found what's right for me. Does anyone else feel as stuck as I do? I'd like to hear about your experiences.

My difficulty is lack of time, energy and concentration to be able to carry out any research - I feel instinctively drawn to something druid-ish, but none of the paths I've looked at felt as though they quite fitted, but I rarely have the time/energy to research further afield.  So, yes, I do feel stuck, though for slightly different reasons.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

Tylus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 03:25:09 pm »
I'd like to hear about your experiences.

I found myself in the same situation, and the best advice I can offer is:  don't stick to one path.  Around this world are mythologies and beliefs that are, in essence, rivers to the same great sea.  Do not put yourself on a path - decorate your own path with the flowers and fruits you've gathered from others.  In this way, you will go from living in the houses built by others to a house built all on your own.

Remember: belief, magic(k), spirituality, it all depends more on the individual than an established school of thought.  Find new energy in mixing what feels right into your perfect doctrine.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:30:32 pm by Tylus »

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 10:41:53 am »
Quote from: Tylus;194484
decorate your own path with the flowers and fruits you've gathered from others.

I like your description.  I try to be a bit careful about cultural appropriation, but as long as it's done with reverence, which is very much suggested by your phrasing above (and not to excess) then hopefully it's okay.
(From the Metta Sutta)

Tylus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 02:10:46 pm »
Quote from: Pickle;194505
I like your description.  I try to be a bit careful about cultural appropriation, but as long as it's done with reverence, which is very much suggested by your phrasing above (and not to excess) then hopefully it's okay.

I wouldn't worry about cultural appropriation.  As long as you're learning, worshiping, practicing, or praying with sincerity, what sin has been committed?  Now, if you started chanting mantras so you'd be able to show off to a crush or something, I'd start worrying.  :P

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 09:07:34 am »
Quote from: Tylus;194509
I wouldn't worry about cultural appropriation.  As long as you're learning, worshiping, practicing, or praying with sincerity, what sin has been committed?  Now, if you started chanting mantras so you'd be able to show off to a crush or something, I'd start worrying.  :P

because I have a Christian background, this brought to mind a verse "man may judge on outward appearance, but God sees the heart." I will probably have that sentiment with me forever, regardless of the religious path I'm on.

To the OP, have you considered a break from studying? Not a giving up sort of break, but one where you consciously give yourself a set time away from thinking/studying about religion? They say we absorb information better when we get plenty of rest, maybe your mind needs a rest period.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Tags: