Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Making Offerings?  (Read 4359 times)

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Making Offerings?
« on: July 22, 2016, 03:43:46 pm »
Hi all, I hope you're having a good day?

So this is something that has been on my mind a lot recently. Although I have a good idea why one might make offerings, I've been finding lately that doing regular formal(ish) offerings has been making what should be a sacred act feel like a chore. I try to make an offering to the God and the Goddess every week, and an offering to the spirits at the change of the month, but I feel as if this has become something empty of meaning because I've made it something I have to do, not something i genuinely want to. That's not to say I'm not grateful to my gods, or want to show my gratitude, but this way of going about it seems to have removed something sacred since it requires preparation and seems to create tension for me. At the same time, I don't want to seem disrespectful by just dropping an offering off in the woods without ritual, because I'm really unsure about what is and isn't respectful (I use this word lightly, though, because I know how vague it is and how what is good for one being may not be for another).

With this is mind, I have begun to wonder why we even make offerings in the first place, and from a pantheistic perspective, why everything that is selfless and good that we do in the world cannot be considered an offering to the One divine?

I hope to cause no offence, and ask these questions in honesty and earnest, so I hope I don't come across as rude or disrespectful. Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated!

Blessed Be :)

Additional Info: It should be noted that by "dropping an offering off in the woods" I mean making an more informal offering in a public area - as tourists and even locals sometimes come to visit the nearby woodlands, I would be unable to stop for long or make larger offerings unless I found a secluded or quieter area to do so. While not much would change, in theory, there would be the need to consider other people using the area. Additionally, although I have a more informal relationship with deity (or have been encourage to, according to perceived messages through self-performed tarot readings) I'm unsure about informal worship and offerings as I am fairly new to my path.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 03:44:55 pm by Nymree »

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Making Offerings?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 08:08:27 pm »
Quote from: Nymree;194319
I've been finding lately that doing regular formal(ish) offerings has been making what should be a sacred act feel like a chore. I try to make an offering to the God and the Goddess every week, and an offering to the spirits at the change of the month, but I feel as if this has become something empty of meaning because I've made it something I have to do, not something i genuinely want to.

I've had this issue sometimes,  and I found a couple of things that helped for me:

(1) I changed the day of the week I do ritual on, to a day when I generally have more energy / am less inclined to slack. You might consider if a change of location would also help.

(2) I pre-prepare some stuff, like making a batch of offering bread and freezing it. I don't know if this is something you can do with your ritual setup.

(3) I have scheduled skip days. To be specific, I don't do ritual if I'm on my period that weekday; partly this is because of Kemetic notions of ritual purity, but it's also an outlet for my impulse to skive off sometimes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 08:49:40 pm »

With this is mind, I have begun to wonder why we even make offerings in the first place, and from a pantheistic perspective, why everything that is selfless and good that we do in the world cannot be considered an offering to the One divine?

Different religions and different cultures have different answers to this one. So do different people within a given group.

Personally, I don't generally do offerings outside of those connected with ritual, and in my tradition, the direct food offerings are token amount (a pinch of bread and a little libation of wine, from the same cup and loaf that was shared by the human beings in ritual.)

In that case, the offering is meant to include the deities we invited in the ritual meal the same way we include people who are there. No ritual meal, no need for an offering. (So, smaller stuff I do that doesn't involve a full cast circle and a Great Rite, no offering of food and drink.)

With the deities I honour personally, my main offering is not something where food or drink or incense is a particularly meaningful offering most of the time: my best offering is my time and energy on things that M'Lady values. So I do that, and I think of her, and that works fine for that specific relationship.

I also don't own where I live (I rent, and in a mid-sized building and there's very limited outside access that is not very public), or I might consider a ritual for land spirits, but it's just not ... quite applicable right now.

There are situations in which I'd do a more elaborate food and drink offering, but they are mostly rituals for specific reasons. (Samhain, when we do favourite foods of loved ones who have died.)

Or if I am asking a favour of a deity I don't normally have an ongoing relationship with, I will start with offerings, but that might be food or it might be poetry or music or incense - depends on the deity, depends on what the practical options are for me right then, depends on what my goals are.)

One other possible option for many deities is doing something regular for a cause that they would be aligned with - some people I know donate to or volunteer for pet shelters, for example, for deities associated with particular animals. I know some people who would make a regular food shelf donation for Hecate, on the day of the month when it was traditional to leave offerings of food at crossroads for people who need it. For some deities, a donation of time or money to a particular political campaign or cause might be appropriate.

As to why deities might *like* offerings of physical things, some practices suggest that deities can enjoy physical things in certain circumstances (like if they're ritually offered), and deities like interesting things to taste or smell just as much as we do. It's not necessarily a necessity for them, but it is a way to show hospitality and generousity, which are things that deities may also like and approve of.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 04:27:47 pm »
I have begun to wonder why we even make offerings in the first place

For those of us of a more Recon bent, it's part of the religious customs we are trying to reconstruct. Research into historical ritual and religion reveals that making offerings to gods was part of a wider social complex of hospitality and hierarchy. One would give to others what they were due, in the hope that they would help out in reciprocal manner; this was expressed most clearly in the Latin phrase do ut des, "I give that you might give". Should be noted that the Romans had a rather explicit concept of patron-client networks at work in their society, and their religion reflects that. But other Indo-European and Near Eastern cultures had similar notions of hospitality and reciprocity; if you are inviting the gods into your home, you offer them something as they are your guests.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 10:56:36 pm »
I have begun to wonder why we even make offerings in the first place, and from a pantheistic perspective, why everything that is selfless and good that we do in the world cannot be considered an offering to the One divine?
This is why I loathe divine mystery a lot of the time. If we can't know how it works, how are we supposed to know what to do? If I get unstuck on macro-corporeal logic, though, I can trust (or at least respect) a variety of intuitions. There's a saying not to treat gods like vending machines, but if duty/recompense is someone else's understanding of the relationship then I'm not even going to warn them about the time I blah which I took to mean blah blah besides the text of so-and-so suggests stuff thing. Or if someone else makes offerings to the gods in the same way they bring hobby-baked goods to their friends, because they like to bake so much that they do it on the regular and stuff-giving is just how they treat their friends, no recompense required. Or making offerings with the same attitude of saying hello, would you please, thank you, small favors to neighbors. (Applicability depends on the neighborhood, of course.) And sometimes favors do become a chore, but for as many reasons as there are people who do it anyway...people do it anyway. I can respect the value of that, too, besides it gives me a headache to try to calculate that value as compared to anybody else's personal practice.

I guess it's really all good as long as there's room for all of the aforementioned, plus pantheists, plus "quit wondering how/why and just do it anyway, that's what religious faith is", plus people who wonder if on the Other other side of the altar is a god going, "That's sweet, kid. (What am I supposed to do with a feather you found on the sidewalk?)"

I hear Marcel Mauss' wrote some interesting stuff about the concept of a "gift" in society that's different from a sacrificial offering, and I suspect that could be potentially (personally) applicable to less corporeal relations as well. As above posters mentioned, though, it also depends on the theology/cosmology of the traditions that have this practice?
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 01:08:58 pm »

I can't really help you from a pantheistic perspective of that sort, because I am not at all that sort of pantheist.

Like Louisvillain, I operate within a context of do ut des; this is explicit in surviving inscriptions on temples describing offerings and the expected reciprocation to be granted by the gods in return.  It is part of acknowledging and structuring an understanding and relationship with the web of life - both in the way that energies of sustenance flow back and forth between the seen and unseen worlds, but also in the recognition that it is not the human place in the world to simply take from it, but also to return some of the energy we have accumulated back to its source(s).

(And perhaps that's an angle your flavour of pantheist can take it?  The connection to the web, the nature of energy to flow?)

Next point: in a tradition that practices reversion of offerings, the act of food offering is basically a replication of the concept of Holy Communion. The food offering which has been given to the god has been subsumed into the divine presence, and partaking of it afterwards is an act of intimacy and honour.  One is becoming one substance with the divine presence in the offering.

Last thing... okay, there's plenty of stuff that I actually do that is part of a process of divine offering.  "Good and selfless" is not how I would describe any of it; in my experience that is... not typically relevant to the desires of the gods.  Good, especially; that particular word is so very blatantly a matter of perspective.  (And dealing with a particularly challengy-authority sort of god as I do means that whenever I see "good" I wonder, "Good for what?  The status quo?  Maybe the status is not quo.")  An excess of selflessness is self-destructive, though, and that is not something my experience of the divine encourages.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 03:06:21 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;194403

Next point: in a tradition that practices reversion of offerings, the act of food offering is basically a replication of the concept of Holy Communion. The food offering which has been given to the god has been subsumed into the divine presence, and partaking of it afterwards is an act of intimacy and honour.  One is becoming one substance with the divine presence in the offering.

I have, until now, done a similar thing. A question, though - do you eat all of the offering, or just half?

Thanks to everyone for your contributions, you've all been a real help :)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 11:15:52 pm »
Quote from: Nymree;194407
I have, until now, done a similar thing. A question, though - do you eat all of the offering, or just half?

In the living tradition I'm familiar with (Hindu), it's, if I remember right, an active offense to the god in question to leave a portion of their blessing behind.

In the reversion religion I actually practice (Kemetic), the whole consumable offering is eaten.  I don't know whether or not the ancient Egyptians believed leaving it behind was an insult to the gods, but it was certainly wasteful.
we rise and fall

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 11:16:24 am »
With this is mind, I have begun to wonder why we even make offerings in the first place, and from a pantheistic perspective

• To invite a dear friend, family member, honored guest into our homes and lives and offer them refreshments.
  • To share what we have been given. A guest brings a bottle of wine or a cake, we share it.
  • To give reverence with things what mean something to us or we enjoy, i.e. food, drink, flowers, aroma (incense), light (candles, oil lamp). Though the gods need none of this.
  • An offering could be a meditative quiet time when you reaffirm and offer your devotion to a particular deity.

I don't do the typical home puja as often as many Hindus do, or as often as I'd like to. But in the tradition I follow, it's actually enough to offer my love, devotion and thoughts of the gods, and even to mentally offer something. I can look at a flower and imagine offering it to Krishna, or Shiva, or another deity, and it's immediately offered and accepted.

why everything that is selfless and good that we do in the world cannot be considered an offering to the One divine?

It can be. There's a saying "nara seva narayana seva", service to man [is] service to God. There are many ways and reasons to make offerings or even not make them.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 11:29:34 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;194426
In the living tradition I'm familiar with (Hindu), it's, if I remember right, an active offense to the god in question to leave a portion of their blessing behind.

It's not so much an offense as it is just rude. The Hindu gods are a pretty laid-back and chill bunch, and pretty hard to piss off. Just the same, we always take at least a small part of the prasad (blessed food), and share the rest. You don't have to take everything or a lot, or eat it on the spot.

For example, on certain days we fast from grains and legumes. Guess what a common offering is at the temples? Yep, rice. Now, I don't have to go to the buffet table where the rice prasad is placed as long as I've taken something else, even water, from the priests. Or I can take some with me, even a spoonful and have it after I break the fast.

When I do puja at home, I offer a piece of fruit (if I have some), or nuts, dried fruits, or some small something, a spoonful of cooked rice, even candy, then just eat it after the puja. It must all be completely veg. though.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 06:29:04 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;194426

In the reversion religion I actually practice (Kemetic), the whole consumable offering is eaten.  I don't know whether or not the ancient Egyptians believed leaving it behind was an insult to the gods, but it was certainly wasteful.

This is where I often jump in and point out that there are other Pagan/polytheistic traditions where eating offerings is taboo. Most Gaelic polytheists don't eat offerings, based on the Irish idea that food left for spirits has had the essence taken out by the deity or spirit in question, and is no longer good/safe to eat. It's based mostly on a superstition around the Good Folk (faeries), as far as I can tell, but it's become custom in our community.

Which brings us back to the theology/philosophy of why we make offerings and what happens to them, which I personally find central to the whole thing. The concept of 'do ut des', that Kiya mentioned, is the *why* of offerings for me (or at least, one of the primary reasons). ADF (druid order) calls this 'ghosti' - a reconstructed word that means 'mutual hospitality'. Gaelic polytheism has hospitality as a central, sacred virtue, and it's what I aim to base my practice around, beginning with hospitality to the gods and bringing that into an attitude/practice of hospitality towards all life. (I am terrible at it and have a lot of work to do there, but it's my starting point.) The *how* and *what* of the offering then depends on a number of things, including what I believe the spirit in question would like, and practices like burying the offering after giving it to the spirit.

Nymree, what is the reason why you give offerings? If you start with the why, you may find you get to the how and what more easily.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 10:28:38 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;194465
This is where I often jump in and point out that there are other Pagan/polytheistic traditions where eating offerings is taboo. Most Gaelic polytheists don't eat offerings, based on the Irish idea that food left for spirits has had the essence taken out by the deity or spirit in question, and is no longer good/safe to eat. It's based mostly on a superstition around the Good Folk (faeries), as far as I can tell, but it's become custom in our community.

It occurs to me that my Good Folk libations aren't things that have ever occurred to me to consider reclaiming, though it's also the case that that's 'things poured out on a rock' and thus reversion is entirely impractical. ;)

Also, my offerings to the land spirits tend to be, y'know.  Gifts.  The ones in back like round red berries.  I give them cranberries, mostly, chucked into the woods.  Have plans to plant some holly back there.
we rise and fall

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 09:16:45 pm »
Hi all, I hope you're having a good day?

So this is something that has been on my mind a lot recently. Although I have a good idea why one might make offerings, I've been finding lately that doing regular formal(ish) offerings has been making what should be a sacred act feel like a chore. I try to make an offering to the God and the Goddess every week, and an offering to the spirits at the change of the month, but I feel as if this has become something empty of meaning because I've made it something I have to do, not something i genuinely want to. That's not to say I'm not grateful to my gods, or want to show my gratitude, but this way of going about it seems to have removed something sacred since it requires preparation and seems to create tension for me. At the same time, I don't want to seem disrespectful by just dropping an offering off in the woods without ritual, because I'm really unsure about what is and isn't respectful (I use this word lightly, though, because I know how vague it is and how what is good for one being may not be for another).

I hope to cause no offence, and ask these questions in honesty and earnest, so I hope I don't come across as rude or disrespectful. Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated!

Blessed Be :)

Additional Info: It should be noted that by "dropping an offering off in the woods" I mean making an more informal offering in a public area - as tourists and even locals sometimes come to visit the nearby woodlands, I would be unable to stop for long or make larger offerings unless I found a secluded or quieter area to do so. While not much would change, in theory, there would be the need to consider other people using the area. Additionally, although I have a more informal relationship with deity (or have been encourage to, according to perceived messages through self-performed tarot readings) I'm unsure about informal worship and offerings as I am fairly new to my path.

Have you considered having a different way of offering? I've done the offerings at the shrine/altar for awhile til I was asked to save any of my Canadian quarters with poppies on that come my way. Once there's a sizeable amount, I'd be rolling them up and donating it to a charity that would be honouring Morrigan. Poppies have a special meaning for me and this is a way that still honours Her. It's the time and money to help others that matters in my case...

Tags: