Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Home: Lady's mantle wreath?  (Read 2659 times)

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Lady's mantle wreath?
« on: July 18, 2016, 05:35:55 am »
With a google search for Lady's mantle wreath I found a YouTube video using whole plants. I am looking for a way to make a wreath using just the large leaves. My plant has a lot of large leaves. For my herb mixes I use smaller leaves. If anyone has some idea?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:32:33 am by RandallS »

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
Re: Lady's mantle wreath?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:41:00 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;194098
With a google search for Lady's mantle wreath I found a YouTube video using whole plants. I am looking for a way to make a wreath using just the large leaves. My plant has a lot of large leaves. For my herb mixes I use smaller leaves. If anyone has some idea?

I had a little go for you. I have a couple of wreath bases that I decorate. One is birch twig and the other is wicker.

With the wicker base it was really easy to weave the leaf stems in (I cut them as long as possible). The birch ring is much dense- more of a poke them in. Not such a secure fit but would be OK for display. I only used a few leaves to try but the wicker one would look lovely completed.

If not using a base ring you could certainly wire the leaves together. I couldn't get just the leaves to work though. The stems were too stiff and just snapped.

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:03:09 am »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;194100
I had a little go for you. I have a couple of wreath bases that I decorate. One is birch twig and the other is wicker.

With the wicker base it was really easy to weave the leaf stems in (I cut them as long as possible). The birch ring is much dense- more of a poke them in. Not such a secure fit but would be OK for display. I only used a few leaves to try but the wicker one would look lovely completed.

If not using a base ring you could certainly wire the leaves together. I couldn't get just the leaves to work though. The stems were too stiff and just snapped.

I have some birch and willow trees growing in my garden which I grew over the years from saplings I collected in the woods years ago. I will cut some pliant thin willow leaf stems and have a gow at making a base wreath. I have osteoarthritis allover ,so wreaths tend to stay a bit loose last time I made some, as I do not have the wrists/hands to make a good tight wreath.Thanks for the advice.:)

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 09:20:52 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;194102
I have some birch and willow trees growing in my garden which I grew over the years from saplings I collected in the woods years ago. I will cut some pliant thin willow leaf stems and have a gow at making a base wreath. I have osteoarthritis allover ,so wreaths tend to stay a bit loose last time I made some, as I do not have the wrists/hands to make a good tight wreath.Thanks for the advice.:)

I'm having trouble with my left wrist and elbow which is why I use the base wreaths :/

Getting a good tight wreath with anything but ivy is beyond me at the moment. It's much easier to work with the pro-former for a good result.  I don't burn the wreaths any more but just remove the vegetation and burn that instead saving the base ring to use again

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 12:09:19 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;194109
I'm having trouble with my left wrist and elbow which is why I use the base wreaths :/

Getting a good tight wreath with anything but ivy is beyond me at the moment. It's much easier to work with the pro-former for a good result.  I don't burn the wreaths any more but just remove the vegetation and burn that instead saving the base ring to use again

You might try wintergreen salve, I use it, from a german pharmacy http://www.versandapo.de/ I buy pure wintergreen essential oil and pure 100% shea butter. I make small jars frequently so I have fresh. Real true wintergreen essential oil is a bit hard to find online. It helps with the osteoarthritis a bit.
In UK http://www.Baldwins.co.uk/ used to sell a type of wintergreen blended balm but discontinued it.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 03:20:56 pm »
Quote from: Nerys53;194116
You might try wintergreen salve, I use it, from a german pharmacy http://www.versandapo.de/ I buy pure wintergreen essential oil and pure 100% shea butter. I make small jars frequently so I have fresh. Real true wintergreen essential oil is a bit hard to find online. It helps with the osteoarthritis a bit.
In UK http://www.Baldwins.co.uk/ used to sell a type of wintergreen blended balm but discontinued it.

Thank you  - I'm currently using a cream made up by a herbalist for me. it does have a lot of wintergreen in it! She also added some belladonna and a few other herbs too. I can pick up some good wintergreen next time I'm down south though and have a go at making my own.

Tags: