collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Monolatry  (Read 703 times)

YungMeatRabbit

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Monolatry
« on: July 15, 2016, 08:11:35 pm »
Hey all!  I'm a fairly new Kemetic Pagan who's still hammering out my thoughts on metaphysics.  I'm trying to keep the metaphysical views pretty close to the Ancient Egyptian views.  However, I've run into some confusion with the concept of Monolatry.  At first, I understood it as all deities (at least all of the Kemetic deities) are all just different aspects/manifestations of Ra.  This made sense to me because scientifically, all things on Earth depend on the sun, so all these things are, from one point of view, products of the sun.  This fit with my view that deities are essentially "masks" that people created to personify/understand various forces of nature.  But then I read more about the concept of Monolatry and now I'm confused.  So could someone please explain to me what exactly Monolatry means in a Kemetic view?  Thank you!

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Monolatry
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:26:00 am »
Quote from: YungMeatRabbit;193944
Hey all!  I'm a fairly new Kemetic Pagan who's still hammering out my thoughts on metaphysics.  I'm trying to keep the metaphysical views pretty close to the Ancient Egyptian views.

Here's the basic problem with that: we don't know what those are.  We have theories, we have evidence for various theories, and different people have different opinions.

Furthermore, as topics go, this is one of those ones that genuinely does not matter all that much.  Not only is belief about that subject not your go-to thing here, but it is entirely likely that different theologies at different times had different perspectives, and that individuals who cared to think about such things even in the same time and place likely had different opinions.  (Any sort of in-depth study of various forms of Hinduism can illuminate how this sort of thing happens.)

However, I've run into some confusion with the concept of Monolatry.  At first, I understood it as all deities (at least all of the Kemetic deities) are all just different aspects/manifestations of Ra.  This made sense to me because scientifically, all things on Earth depend on the sun, so all these things are, from one point of view, products of the sun.  This fit with my view that deities are essentially "masks" that people created to personify/understand various forces of nature.  But then I read more about the concept of Monolatry and now I'm confused.  So could someone please explain to me what exactly Monolatry means in a Kemetic view?  Thank you!

Not all Kemetics are monolatrous.  I'm not.  (I am, in fact, quite fond of the Egyptologist Erik Hornung's comment that excessive conflation of deities produces a "vague, solar-tinged pantheism".)

You get emanationist theologies at various times and places - Amun-Ra as the source, Ptah as the source, probably a few other things.  Atum wouldn't surprise me.  You also get very clear polytheisms.  You get specific syncretisms and very clear cases where those same gods are very different people.  (Remember, Heru and Set have a syncretised form.)  You get these things at the same time, in the same place, depending on context.

Make of it what you want to.  Figure out what works for you and go with it.

Or don't bother to have specific beliefs on the topic, because in the real world, it is pretty high on the list of things that can be filed under "has no actual effect on practice, acting in the real world, or behaviour; can be philosophically debated if I don't have anything better to do with my life at the moment".

I happen to believe from my own research that the thing that some people translate as The Ultimate God Of Which All Others Are Aspects is better understood as a word meaning "divine power", that there is the abstract concept of divine power, and then there are the gods, which are Divine Powers, and there are other entities which have some divine power but which are not gods.  (It strikes me as more similar to the way kami work than anything else.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

YungMeatRabbit

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Monolatry
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 04:45:21 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;193947
Here's the basic problem with that: we don't know what those are.  We have theories, we have evidence for various theories, and different people have different opinions.

Furthermore, as topics go, this is one of those ones that genuinely does not matter all that much.  Not only is belief about that subject not your go-to thing here, but it is entirely likely that different theologies at different times had different perspectives, and that individuals who cared to think about such things even in the same time and place likely had different opinions.  (Any sort of in-depth study of various forms of Hinduism can illuminate how this sort of thing happens.)

Not all Kemetics are monolatrous.  I'm not.  (I am, in fact, quite fond of the Egyptologist Erik Hornung's comment that excessive conflation of deities produces a "vague, solar-tinged pantheism".)

You get emanationist theologies at various times and places - Amun-Ra as the source, Ptah as the source, probably a few other things.  Atum wouldn't surprise me.  You also get very clear polytheisms.  You get specific syncretisms and very clear cases where those same gods are very different people.  (Remember, Heru and Set have a syncretised form.)  You get these things at the same time, in the same place, depending on context.

Make of it what you want to.  Figure out what works for you and go with it.

Or don't bother to have specific beliefs on the topic, because in the real world, it is pretty high on the list of things that can be filed under "has no actual effect on practice, acting in the real world, or behaviour; can be philosophically debated if I don't have anything better to do with my life at the moment".

I happen to believe from my own research that the thing that some people translate as The Ultimate God Of Which All Others Are Aspects is better understood as a word meaning "divine power", that there is the abstract concept of divine power, and then there are the gods, which are Divine Powers, and there are other entities which have some divine power but which are not gods.  (It strikes me as more similar to the way kami work than anything else.)

Okay, I'm just going to stick with "all gods are aspects of one" then.  Thanks for the info!!

Tags:

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 370
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal