Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Games: Pokemon Go  (Read 4611 times)

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
Pokemon Go
« on: July 14, 2016, 09:13:49 pm »
Since there isn't a thread on this yet, is anyone else on here playing Pokemon Go and what team are you on if you've gotten that far?

Pokemon was a major part of my teenage years, so of course I ended up playing and it's helping me get out more, which is good for my mental health. It gives me a reason to go for walks during my breaks at work, which seems to be helping despite the heat.

(I'm that kind of person who needs a reason to go on a walk like going to a specific destination or whatever. Just doing it just because doesn't work very well.)

Anyways, hi, I play Pokemon Go and it makes me think of actually getting sunscreen and I'm on Team Mystic because I like blue and ice Pokemon.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:44:14 am by RandallS »

Isilwen

• View Profile
Re: Pokemon Go
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 07:19:37 am »
Quote from: Tom;193908
Anyways, hi, I play Pokemon Go and it makes me think of actually getting sunscreen and I'm on Team Mystic because I like blue and ice Pokemon.

Yay! I also play it, and I also grew up with Pokemon, so I find it really entertaining!
Like you, I chose team Mystic mainly because I really like blue, well and Articuno.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 08:20:09 am »
Quote from: Isilwen;193917
I also play it, and I also grew up with Pokemon

You kids and your damn thumpa-thumpa music.  Get the hell off my lawn.  

Seriously though.  I'd play it if it'd load on my damn Windows phone.  

But then I'd have to outside and burn a calorie.  G-d forbid.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

CaitlinAnn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 04:01:52 pm »
Since there isn't a thread on this yet, is anyone else on here playing Pokemon Go and what team are you on if you've gotten that far?

Pokemon was a major part of my teenage years, so of course I ended up playing and it's helping me get out more, which is good for my mental health. It gives me a reason to go for walks during my breaks at work, which seems to be helping despite the heat.

(I'm that kind of person who needs a reason to go on a walk like going to a specific destination or whatever. Just doing it just because doesn't work very well.)

I play too and joined team Mystic, although I sometimes wish I had joined team Valor.  I haven't put too much time into it but I'm becoming increasingly addicted.  So far I'm discovering new places I've never seen before in town and getting out more in general which is far better than sitting at home behind the computer.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 06:24:39 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;193922

Word. I'll stick with my DS and my SoulSilver session. Still, this whole thing is making me nostalgic; I was in high school when Pokemon first hit North America. I still have a copy of the handbook that only has 150 Pokemon in it.

I <3 umbreon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Isilwen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 08:03:37 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;193922

Well, actually you can still capture Pokemon while on a bus. Although I think they are working on fixing that? Not sure though.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 07:03:40 am »

I suppose I am technically playing, as I have it installed on my phone and have somehow managed to catch three creatures. I haven't joined a team; I don't think it's even come up in the game so far.

Pokemon was very much not a part of my youth and I am ignorant of pretty much everything about it other than one collects creatures and then fights them against other creatures and somehow works them through their individual skill trees. Which is fine because I only relate to the game as a sort of digital butterfly collection.

I don't have a very good grasp of the catching mechanic as I waste a huge number of pokeballs...and I'm way too embarrassed and shy (also, language barriers) to see if anybody at a pokestop might help me understand. It's really highlighted my insecurity about losing touch with technology.

At least for now, hardcore server issues kinda mean I can put off trying to figure it out for now. You can't feel painfully self-conscious about not knowing what you're doing when you can't even log into the game.

Cripes, I sound like an old fart.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 10:51:12 am »
Quote from: Allaya;194103
I don't have a very good grasp of the catching mechanic as I waste a huge number of pokeballs...and I'm way too embarrassed and shy (also, language barriers) to see if anybody at a pokestop might help me understand. It's really highlighted my insecurity about losing touch with technology.

Don't feel too insecure about your difficulties playing! Part of the Pokemon catching thing is a hand-eye coordination thing, which sometimes I'm not so good at either. There are some good articles online about how to play the game in English (here's one I just found via google: http://www.imore.com/pokemon-go ). It's also easier if you turn off the AR camera because then they don't move around so much and it drains your battery less.

Teams are chosen once you hit level 5 and that's mostly related to battling at the Pokemon gyms. I'm not actually really that into battling like some people are, so it's more of a thing I do only occasionally.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 10:54:41 am »
I don't have a very good grasp of the catching mechanic as I waste a huge number of pokeballs...

Apparently if you tap them before they vanish you can pick up misses and reduce the losses.  (Things I learn from tumblr.)

At least for now, hardcore server issues kinda mean I can put off trying to figure it out for now. You can't feel painfully self-conscious about not knowing what you're doing when you can't even log into the game.

Today's learning experience for children provided by technology:  I explained to a four-year-old what a DDOS attack is!
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Soletaken

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 01:52:27 pm »
I suppose I am technically playing, as I have it installed on my phone and have somehow managed to catch three creatures. I haven't joined a team; I don't think it's even come up in the game so far.

Pokemon was very much not a part of my youth and I am ignorant of pretty much everything about it other than one collects creatures and then fights them against other creatures and somehow works them through their individual skill trees. Which is fine because I only relate to the game as a sort of digital butterfly collection.

Cripes, I sound like an old fart.

I started playing last night, and have no freaking clue what I'm doing lol. According to the local paper, two of my favorite restaurants are pokestops, so hopefully I can stock up on pokeballs...and enchiladas. :whis:

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 06:08:26 pm »
Which is fine because I only relate to the game as a sort of digital butterfly collection.

IIRC, the Pokemon games were actually originally inspired by insect collecting.

(apparently there is a tradition in Japan of children collecting stag beetles and then making them fight each other.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

The Solitary Wolf

• I just really love foxes, okay? And Loki, too.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lokean
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 03:05:45 pm »

I play it, team Instinct. Found out my boss is, too, but everyone else I work with is Mystic, with one or two Valors.

I'd say the best part of Pokemon Go is that my workplace is close enough to a Pokestop that whenever we get rude old people coming in and yelling at our younger employees, which sadly happens a LOT, I can drop a lure and watch the place get flooded with teenagers and millennials and watch as the old people get pissed off even more and leave. ;)

Plus it brings in more tips, and more business in general.

Catching a Growlithe in our parking lot is a nice bonus, too.

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 145
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal