Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Health: Phobias  (Read 3594 times)

Dam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Phobias
« on: July 11, 2016, 09:37:06 am »
Do you have a phobia? Is it wildly irrational?

I have a severe disliking of mushrooms which is verging on phobia. There's no reason for it other than me not liking them when I was a child. I can't touch them and have to walk away from them if I see them in shops.

I'd like to know that I'm not alone with a pointless aversion towards something that is rather harmless.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:39:13 pm by RandallS »

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Re: Phobias
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 02:36:03 pm »
Quote from: Dam;193813

I have a severe disliking of mushrooms which is verging on phobia. There's no reason for it other than me not liking them when I was a child. I can't touch them and have to walk away from them if I see them in shops.

I'd like to know that I'm not alone with a pointless aversion towards something that is rather harmless.
I used to have severe arachnophobia. Would run away screaming at the sight of a spider. I'm not so bad now, but I still don't like them.

My big thing now is ladders. I'm not scared of heights by any means, but I can't do ladders for some reason, especially the fold down ones to get into an attic. Give me a good tree to climb or put me on the edge of any cliff, and I'm fine. But ladders just freak me the eff out. And I have no idea why.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 06:13:21 pm »

Spiders. I can't bear them. I can just about cope now with money spiders but anything bigger.....

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 01:11:35 pm »

I have a severe disliking of mushrooms which is verging on phobia.

I don't have anything like that.  I'm claustrophobic, and sometimes odd things will trigger me such as a scene in a film in which a character is squeezing through a little gap or something.  Extreme caving would quite possibly be my worst nightmare - especially if there were any underwater sections involved!

I also have a slightly phobic fear of wasps, though I can at least identify where that came from having been stung at age 7.  Wasps flying near me cause sudden onset tourets syndrome (well, an uncontrollable swearing outburst, anyway) - sometimes comical to those present, apparently!  Also no one else round here seems to comprehend that the only way to shake off a wasp once it's got your scent is to run around in little circles, screaming!
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 10:07:53 am »

• Heights. Even watching something in a movie where someone is at the edge of a cliff or building ledge, for example, creeps me out.
  • Being blocked from escape from another person, or them standing in my way so I can't get by. I'm not totally claustrophobic, because I have no problem with MRIs. I actually quite enjoy them. But if I am blocked in a room by someone else or can't get out a door, I will panic. In the dining room, I have to sit near the doors that go onto the deck. When we've had company, and I'm in the kitchen I kick everyone out of there because they block me from getting out. Maybe it's a form of claustrophobia.

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: Male
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 11:17:25 am »

Being eaten/swallowed.
But since there are no predators in my country that can its wildly irrational yes.

Maybe if there is a mass breakout at a zoo. LOL
No but really, not gonna happen. ;)

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 12:12:14 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;194278
Being eaten/swallowed.
But since there are no predators in my country that can its wildly irrational yes.

Maybe if there is a mass breakout at a zoo. LOL
No but really, not gonna happen. ;)

If it makes you feel better, I don't think it's irrational at all. It's probably a holdover in our brains from our primitive past when we were a prey species, whether there are predators near us or not. It's supposed to be the reason we fear snakes also.

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: Male
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 01:51:55 pm »
Quote from: Jainarayan;194279
If it makes you feel better, I don't think it's irrational at all. It's probably a holdover in our brains from our primitive past when we were a prey species, whether there are predators near us or not. It's supposed to be the reason we fear snakes also.

Good points, it is where our bodies evolved from so yes. :)
Thanks.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 08:16:31 pm »

I am terrified of tsunamis.

Which isn't irrational, really, nor are they harmless, but I'm not terrified of real-life tsunamis. I'm terrified of Hollywood tsunamis. Ie those gigantic cresting waves that...don't actually happen in real life.

I've seen footage of an actual tsunami, and it did not freak me out as much as the movie trailer for San Andreas. I had a panic attack in the theatre when that wave came on screen. But I know, logically, that if a tsunami hits it's not going to be like that; it's still going to be scary, but not 270-foot wall of water scary.

But it's not real tsunamis I have nightmares about, it's the Hollywood ones.

I also have trypophobia (if you think you might have it, don't Google it, because Google is like HEY DID YOU WANT IMAGES OF THIS THING THAT CAUSES YOU TO FREAK THE HECK OUT?), which is an unnatural aversion to clusters of holes. It's kind of a crapshoot as to what triggers it for me (the villain in Men in Black III did a number on me), and it might actually not be that irrational, as there's been some talk about it being evolutionary -- some things in nature that are very dangerous to humans, like a certain octopus, have that patterning. So it's thought by some that the phobia is a survival mechanism, even if in modern life it's probably pretty useless.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

CalicoNyanko

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 08:17:53 pm »

I'm not sure how strange my phobias are, but I've had friends and family tell me they're quite irrational.  To start, and probably the most normal, I'm afraid of heights.  I can manage to climb a tree, but put me on a ladder two feet off the ground and I'm terrified.  I don't mind flying in an airplane, but put me in a boat on water where i can't see the bottom (height here being depth) and I shut down.  Yet I also have dreams of flying that are quite pleasant, so this phobia really confuses me and is conflicting in many ways.

I'm terrified of snakes, and even seeing one on the road as I drive by or seeing a photo of one, or one at a distance makes my skin crawl in the most uncomfortable of ways.  I'm scared of them to the point that I think I see them everywhere...every stick, string, oddly shaped rock, etc, that could be a snake IS a snake.  

I'm also quite afraid of driving a vehicle, though unfortunately I've been forced to get over this one to an extent, due to necessity.  I still get terrible anxiety anytime I have to drive someplace crowded or unfamiliar.

And lastly, and probably most recently, I've had a lot of anxiety about fire.  This is new for me. I have never feared fire before, but in the past year or so I have had nightmares, night terrors and paralysis, and more anxiety attacks than I can count due to fire, and not knowing why is almost as unsettling as the fear/anxiety itself.

NightSpook

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 12:49:19 pm »

Snakes are my main phobia (green ones in particular no idea why we don't have any green ones in the UK)
I have a small fear of fire especially house fires and I am slowly overcoming my fear of the dark.

Tags: