es
17 (89.5%)
o
1 (5.3%)
biquitous Other
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: October 14, 2016, 07:48:49 pm

Author Topic: Is Kemeticism "Pagan"  (Read 8406 times)

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Is Kemeticism "Pagan"
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2016, 06:21:44 pm »
Quote from: TheRaginPagan;195163
I was referring to the Sámi, but I was unaware that "Heathen" was a negative label to them.

Still, Heathens that practice Ásatrúarfélagið in Scandinavia, or Rodnovery in Russia, or Suomenusko in Finland would be practicing their "indigenous faith", if not a more organize revival of it, would they not?

Asatru is most definitely not a revival. It is a recon and it's primarily (if not almost entirely) based on somewhat patchy Icelandic sources. There's nothing indigenous about a recon faith, much less one from somewhere else*. Scandinavia is not a single country nor is it a monoculture.

Words mean things. Revival is not synonymous with recon.

* that is pretty much the definition of Not Indigenous
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

TheRaginPagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 06:35:59 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;195154
The pagan movement produced a number of religions over the hundred-plus years of its existence, and one of the younger ones is Kemeticism.

So your application of "Paganism" are the religions that were generated by 20th Century Pagan movements, yes? I can actually get behind that. Though, I still do reserve my objection to calling Hinduism and the various beliefs of the indigenous Americans as a part of Paganism. Namely in that they absolutely don't consider themselves a part of the community. (And I've even been to a Hindu temple that was in New Jersey. Odd story, and I felt very out of place there.)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 07:02:44 pm »
Quote from: TheRaginPagan;195169
So your application of "Paganism" are the religions that were generated by 20th Century Pagan movements, yes? I can actually get behind that. Though, I still do reserve my objection to calling Hinduism and the various beliefs of the indigenous Americans as a part of Paganism.

They are certainly not a product of the 19th-20th century pagan movement, yes.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

TheRaginPagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2016, 07:10:32 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;195168
There's nothing indigenous about a recon faith, much less one from somewhere else*. Scandinavia is not a single country nor is it a monoculture.

As I understand it, "Scandinavia" refers to the land that is now Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Areas that would have spoken Old Norse (with western and eastern dialects). While the cultures varied for these nations over time, the belief in common Gods spans them; they worshiped Þórr, not Donar. Óðinn, not Woden. This is what I mean.

I would also argue that "recon faiths" can most certainly be of the indigenous faiths of a peoples, and that it can be synonymous with "Revival" - if not intertwined. One first has to know that "Recon" in this sense means "reconstruction," rather than "reconnaissance" as it's usually found. But what is being constructed again? The answer being an older faith. It is thus being revived - conjoining the effort with revival - but is more specifically trying to get back to how that faith would have been practiced before it's fall.

If it's something like the AAA trying to reconstruct the Norse faith, then yes, it's not exactly "indigenous." But if someone from Iceland is doing the same (which is to my understanding what Ásatrúarfélagið is doing, and it does differ from Asatru) then they are, ultimately, reconstructing and reviving the indigenous faith of their people.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2016, 07:32:02 pm »
Quote from: TheRaginPagan;195164
Hang on then; what's the difference, then, between Hermes-Thoth, Hermes and Thoth?

Hermes-Thoth is the deity as approached in the entire world since the days of Alexander the Great, King of Macedon, King of Asia, Nisut, son of Zeus-Ammon, son of Ra, son of Osiris, Founder of Alexandria, Restorer of Babylonia, Protector of Buddhism, devotee of Athena, Liberator and Unifier.

Hermes is the limited perception of the god in Greece before the time of Alexander. Thoth is the Greek transcription or pronounciation of Jehuti. Jehuti is the limited perception of the deity before the time of Alexander. Hermes-Thoth behooves other rites than Jehuti. The Greek-speaking Egyptians performed separate rites simultaneously to the rites performed by those Egyptians who spoke Late Egyptian. The worship of Hermes-Thoth was spread in the entire Roman Empire. I might be wrong, but if my memory serves me right there are examples of this in both Mesopotamia, at Hadrian's wall and somewhere in Dacia.

Honestly, not if you ask me. Being too far reaching ends up losing much for cultural identity.

I am not interested in cultural identity. I am interested in the universal gods and goddesses. It doesn't matter if you call him Hermes-Thoth, Merrcury, O∂in, Lugh or Nabu: He is the god of writing and magic anyhow, and known under many names.

Since we are having this discussions by the help of Roman letters, we are all, in a sense, Romans now, and romanitas rests on the shoulders of Alexander.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:52:52 pm by HarpingHawke »

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2016, 08:22:31 pm »
It's the issue that I have with "Paganism" being defined as "any non-Christian polytheistic belief"; because that pretty much covers everything under the sun.

No, it doesn't; it excludes all the neoPagans who are not polytheistic: animists, pantheists, panentheists, atheists, henotheists. All of which do exist. Movements, not being monolithic, are like that; the definition of a movement needs to include everyone who is part of that movement.

That said, I agree that it's a terrible definition - it implies a contrasting 'Christian polytheistic belief', which is basically nonsense (framing Catholic and Orthodox veneration of the saints as 'polytheism' is a misconception, and a common feature of anti-Catholic bigotry), while suggesting that a 'Jewish polytheistic belief' or an 'Islamic polytheistic belief' (neither of which is more oxymoronic than 'Christian polytheistic belief') would be Pagan.

So it's pretty much useless as a definition; it has almost nothing to do with the actual religions and people that are part of the NeoPagan Movement.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

TheRaginPagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2016, 09:07:12 pm »
I know it's digressing from the topic of Kemeticism, but...

Quote from: RecycledBenedict;195174
Hermes-Thoth is the deity as approached in the entire world since the days of Alexander the Great

I'm going to have to dig into some books (I trust them far more than web sources) but I'm not sure about the historicity of this. In fact, just skimming Wikipedia, the only source of this relation is someone named Angelo thinking that Hermes might be based on a Thoth archetype, dated at 1997, and Carl Jung proposing that the two deities are counterparts.

Skimming Thoth's page, I see that the Greeks considered Thoth to be the same as Hermes, and gave Hermes the name "Hermes Trismegistus" (Hermes Thrice-great); somewhat representing a syncretism of the two deities. His city of worship -  Khmun - became known as Hermopolis, or the "City of Hermes". From what I'm reading, this isn't so much what you seem to be posing, but more akin to the Romans seeing all this great stuff and saying "That's got to be our gods!" The Greeks basically saw Egyptian worship of Thoth, thought to themselves "Hey, cool. They worship Hermes too, but they call him Thoth!" and superimposed Hermes over Thoth, taking a few things as accent.

I am not interested in cultural identity. I am interested in the universal gods and goddesses.

I too am interested in something of the sort; for a while I've been trying to study Proto-Indo-European beliefs, and find what I'm hypothetically calling the "First Gods". But while you might be fine with no cultural identity, others may very well be, and you might run into a lot of contention equating Thoth or Hermes with others such as Óðinn. Believe me, I've met the same in equating Thor as Perun, who's relation transcends a similarity in attribute.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2016, 09:48:41 pm »
Quote from: TheRaginPagan;195182
I'm going to have to dig into some books (I trust them far more than web sources) but I'm not sure about the historicity of this. In fact, just skimming Wikipedia, the only source of this relation is someone named Angelo thinking that Hermes might be based on a Thoth archetype, dated at 1997, and Carl Jung proposing that the two deities are counterparts.

If you check Diodorus Siculus, who wrote his Library in the century BCE, the identification of Thoth and Hermes had already happened by his time. It isn't a 20th century invention, as you admit yourself in the later part of your post.

Cicero makes the same identification in De Natura Deorum about 45 BCE.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 09:50:08 pm by RecycledBenedict »

TheRaginPagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2016, 10:03:23 pm »
Quote from: RecycledBenedict;195185
It isn't a 20th century invention, as you admit yourself in the later part of your post.

Actually, no, later on in my posts suggests the opposite; that the Greeks overwrote Thoth with Hermes.

Would you have a specific excerpt from De Natura Deorum? Searching through the publication, I wasn't able to find mention of either Thoth or Hermes.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:06:10 pm by TheRaginPagan »

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2016, 04:03:52 am »
Quote from: YungMeatRabbit;193636
I'm not really sure where I stand on this issue.  What do you think?  Is Kemeticism Pagan or not?

My understanding is that, regardless of the tendency for the Contemporary Pagan movement to focus on European antiquity, it isn't the only ethnolinguistic area of focus, and the Pagan community was still the wellspring from which Kemeticism emerged. It's the same with most current Reconstructionist traditions--mainstream Paganism was rooted in early 20th century Frazerian ideas on pre-Christian religion, but academic and historical scholarship about ancient religions had moved on. Some Pagans thought 'more historical' meant 'more authentic', and so gravitated towards a reconstructionist methodology. Is this really that controversial?

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2016, 06:23:42 am »
Quote from: TheRaginPagan;195186
Actually, no, later on in my posts suggests the opposite; that the Greeks overwrote Thoth with Hermes.

Is it possible, that we are quarrelling about definitions rather than content?

I wouldn't use the word overwrote, since the paleo-pagans of the Roman Empire (and its Alexandrian predecessors) themselves rather viewed it as translation. Just as any other nouns, the regional names of the deities were held to be translatable into other languages. One example is Thoth equals Hermes equals Mercury equals Lugus. The translateability wasn't something entirely new for the Hellenist phase: Already the Hittites had applied that principle.

Diodorus Siculus translates Egyptian deities to Greek again and again in his Library. Since I am in a hurry, I will give you just one example to begin with. When I'm back next week or the week thereafter, I may give you more if you want. My example is from Diodorus' Library 1.12.6.

Egypt is the only country in the whole inhabited world where there are many cities which were founded by the first gods, such as Zeus, Helius, Hermes, Apollo, Pan, Eileithyia, and many more.

Would you have a specific excerpt from De Natura Deorum? Searching through the publication, I wasn't able to find mention of either Thoth or Hermes.

You would probably find the information you seek, if you look for the Latin counterpart: Mercurius. Cicero identifies Thoth with the slayer of Argus in Greek myth.

Perhaps I also need to clarify, that, although crucial for the intensity of deity-translation between the languages in the Alexandrian realm, its successor states and the Roman Empire, the campaign of Alexander wasn't the beginning of the entire translation-process. Early Greek attempts to translate the Egyptian (and other) deities into Greek are found in Herodotus and Plato before Alexander's time.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:25:47 am by RecycledBenedict »

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2016, 06:39:48 am »

De Natura Deorum III.56

[56] Mercurius unus Caelo patre, Die matre natus, cuius obscenius excitata natura traditur, quod aspectu Proserpinae commotus sit; alter Valentis et Phoronidis filius is, qui sub terris habetur idem Trophonius; tertius Iove tertio natus et Maia, ex quo et Penelopa Pana natum ferunt; quartus Nilo patre, quem Aegyptii nefas habent nominare; quintus, quem colunt Pheneatae, qui Argum dicitur interemisse ob eamque causam in Aegyptum profugisse atque Aegyptiis leges et litteras tradidisse: hunc Aegyptii Theyt appellant eodemque nomine anni primus mensis apud eos vocatur.

Theyt is a funny spelling of Thoth, but he is clearly identified as the god acting under the name Hermes in Greek myth, and Cicero uses the Latin counterpart Mercury. A funny thing with Cicero, is that he acknowledged the existence of five different Mercuries.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:43:15 am by RecycledBenedict »

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2016, 10:36:17 am »
Quote from: TheRaginPagan;195171
As I understand it, "Scandinavia" refers to the land that is now Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Areas that would have spoken Old Norse (with western and eastern dialects).

It's not an uncommon mistake in the US to assume that what constitutes "Scandinavia" is a settled matter*.

Scandinavia is not only used to refer to a geographical entity, but also as political, linguistic, ethnic, and cultural entities. Not all values of 'Scandinavia' include the same set of nations.

Ask a Swede. Ask a Norwegian. Ask a Dane. Ask a Finn. Ask a Scotsman (yes, really). Ask an Icelander. Ask an Orcadian. Ask a Faroe Islander. You will get different sets of answers. The same person may well also give a different answer later if the context of the question is changed.

While the cultures varied for these nations over time, the belief in common Gods spans them; they worshiped Þórr, not Donar. Óðinn, not Woden. This is what I mean

Noooooooot really. There are a crapload of assumptions in that statement. For starters, that a few informational freeze-frames in time from one corner of the amalgamation that is Scandinavia can be generalized across the whole. It's likely that Iceland mostly followed and iterated the religio-cultural style of Western (coastal) Norway, as that is where most of the settlers from Iceland originated.

From what is currently know**, there was a ton of variation in how the supposedly "common gods" were interpreted and venerated between Denmark, parts of what is now Sweden, coastal Norway, and interior Norway. Some indications of major differences in how blot was conducted and who 'belonged' within the pantheon based on what fragmentary sources have been found. When you look at the archaeological finds of the hofs found within modern and historical Norway, there are also significant differences.

I would also argue that "recon faiths" can most certainly be of the indigenous faiths of a peoples, and that it can be synonymous with "Revival" - if not intertwined. One first has to know that "Recon" in this sense means "reconstruction," rather than "reconnaissance" as it's usually found. But what is being constructed again? The answer being an older faith. It is thus being revived - conjoining the effort with revival - but is more specifically trying to get back to how that faith would have been practiced before it's fall.

Thank you for patronizing me. I'm well aware of what recon is short for. English is my native language. Would you like to patronize me further or are you done for now?

Anyways. We're back to Words Mean Things.

There's a conflation of faith and practice that I'm not entirely tickled with, but I really don't want to get into it much. Personally, I think that practices can be reconstructed from historical evidence. Faith cannot due to its highly personal and ephemeral nature that doesn't tend to leave "stones, bones, and tomes" around.

At any rate, terming a faith/practice as a revival implies that it did not go regionally extinct and there were enough surviving embers remaining to coax it back. It's right there in the etymology of the word revival.  

This is incompatible with recons. Reconstructed faiths/practices, at least all of the ones I am currently aware of, are pieced together from whatever sources are available from regionally extinct faiths/practices.

Because of this, the use of the term revival carries with it the assumption that there is a certain level of fidelity to the original that recons cannot manage*** due to lack of a sufficient quantity and variety of first-hand, reliable sources.

If it's something like the AAA trying to reconstruct the Norse faith, then yes, it's not exactly "indigenous." But if someone from Iceland is doing the same (which is to my understanding what Ásatrúarfélagið is doing, and it does differ from Asatru) then they are, ultimately, reconstructing and reviving the indigenous faith of their people.

I'm not going to get into specifics, as I don't wish to risk giving people the idea that I'm trying to shit on their sandwich.

I will, however, again highlight that you cannot revive something that's been dead and gone. You can reconstruct it, but you cannot revive it.

Indigenous does not mean "so generalized across such a vast area as to be basically meaningless". Well, it does in the sense that you're using it, which is unfortunate. Indigenous has a very specific meaning and, as Words Mean Things****, using it in a manner contrary to the commonly accepted usage can only lead to frustration.

* I was once guilty of this as well.
** At least in the Nordic archaeological scene
*** Not at all a judgement on recon faiths/practices. They have a much harder row to hoe.
**** You will find as you spend time here that, as a debate and discussion forum, we are very big into avoiding careless word usage. Precision is paramount.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

TheRaginPagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 01:37:22 pm »
Quote from: RecycledBenedict;195190
Is it possible, that we are quarrelling about definitions rather than content?

I'm not sure how you mean. The history of it all seems fairly straightforward to me; Alexander did what the Romans (and later the Christians) did, and superimposed his god on the god of another peoples. They recognized cultural functions of Thoth as similar to that of Hermes, then took a name from Thoth and applied it to Hermes.

I really don't think there's much about it in regards to translation. It would be clear, I imagine, that when one sees depictions of a god with the head of an ibis it would be hard to see it as just another name for one's own cultural deity.

Just as any other nouns, the regional names of the deities were held to be translatable into other languages.

Names don't quite work like that. I've seen Þórr translated as Thor, and then translated again as Тор (Cyrillic; that doesn't say 'top'). In all three languages, the name is Thor. In Russia (depending on who you ask) Тор is not the same as Перуна. One is the son of Один, the other Сварог. Neither of which are the same; Odin is recognized as the Norse God of poetry, wisdom, galdr, and death; whereas Svarog is the God who forged the sun, and of fire and forging.

This is why I've never understood soft polytheism in such a regard.

One example is Thoth equals Hermes equals Mercury equals Lugus.

You mean Lugh? As in the warrior hero of the Tuatha Dé Danann, Spear of the Sun, who has nothing really in common with either a messenger or scribe of the gods? Julius Caesar reached a little far for that one, if you ask me.

Diodorus Siculus translates Egyptian deities to Greek again and again in his Library.

Does he? Or does he do as Alexander did, and replace god with god? I'll certainly wait for an example, but translating an Egyptian deity into Greek would be when [Aset/Iset] was translated as "Ἶσις", or as we know her today "Isis." It would not be equating Isis with, say, Hera.

Egypt is the only country in the whole inhabited world where there are many cities which were founded by the first gods, such as Zeus, Helius, Hermes, Apollo, Pan, Eileithyia, and many more.

This seems identical to the Romans saying that everything great and wonderful in the world (even what they have not seen) was surely the creation of Hercules.

You would probably find the information you seek, if you look for the Latin counterpart: Mercurius.

It is translated into English, and "Mercury" turned up eight results. None of which are mentioned in relation to Egyptian gods. Nor does "Theyt" turn up any results.

Quote from: RecycledBenedict;195191
De Natura Deorum III.56

A problem. In this source of "The Nature of the Gods", Book III only goes up to 40. 56 would be rendered as "LVI", which as you can see in the Table of Contents, is not there.

Running what you provided as "De Natura Deorum//Liber III: LIV" through a translator, the best I can come out with is the following:

Mercury is one of the father of the heavens, On the son of a strange, is raised by the nature of the bit coarse of which is handed down, which may be moved by the sight of Proserpine; Phoronidis at Valentia, and the son of the one who is to be Trophonius reach the same conclusion under the earth; the third Jupiter and of Maia, they say that from the time when, and Penelope was born of Pan; the fourth, the father of the Nile, which the Egyptians have to name them; the fifth, whom they worship Pheneatae is he that reproveth is said to have slain, and on this account he had fled to Egypt, the Egyptians their laws and letters: the first month of this year, among them, the Egyptians, they called Thoth.

Which is a huge jumble of mess. But it seems to be saying that there are multiple "Father of the Heavens," or sky gods. One is Mercury, another Phoronidis, a third Jupiter, a fourth the "father of the Nile", and the fifth being Thoth. Nothing seems to mention that they are all "Mercury under a different name," but rather that they are all sky gods.

I also notice that the article says that it is unchecked.

TheRaginPagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2016, 02:26:07 pm »
Apologies in advance, I might not get to everything in this as I had some personal issues pop up, but I did read and take in everything you wrote.

Quote from: Allaya;195195
It's not an uncommon mistake in the US to assume that what constitutes "Scandinavia" is a settled matter.

Delving deeper, I found this to be the case in addition to what you explained. I'll employ that into consideration in the future.

From what is currently know, there was a ton of variation in how the supposedly "common gods" were interpreted and venerated between Denmark, parts of what is now Sweden, coastal Norway, and interior Norway. Some indications of major differences in how blot was conducted and who 'belonged' within the pantheon based on what fragmentary sources have been found.

Forgive me, but I see much the same within modern Heathenry; we're somewhat divided, but ultimately unified. For instance (and I know that it's contrary to what I said prior; that was foolish of me,) in speaking with Germanic Heathens, we understand that Thor is practically the same as Donar, just with different geographical names. (And I know this also superficially contradicts my discussion with Benedict, but we would not extend the same analogy to, say, Zeus.)

We've division on worshiping the Aesir, the Vanir, the giants and primordial beings, even the elves and dwarves, and then even worshiping them all in their own regards. Blots vary from kindred to kindred, each to their own fashion and devotion. Were an archaeologist in 3016 to study us, it would seem as though we're as diverse as what we can materially tell about the ancient Nordic countries. Yet for our differences, we worship the same Gods.

I suppose I'm just confused as to how what modern Asatru practices (which often span both Norse and Germanic customs) would not be considered indigenous to Nordic countries.

Thank you for patronizing me.

Believe me, patronization was not my intent. I was more just typing out my thoughts to illustrate my chain-of-thought.

Personally, I think that practices can be reconstructed from historical evidence. Faith cannot due to its highly personal and ephemeral nature that doesn't tend to leave "stones, bones, and tomes" around.

I would absolutely agree. Faith also varies drastically from person to person; for instance whereas some see the Gods as their "buddies" or their "kin", constantly watching over their shoulder in a "Guardian Angel" fashion-- I don't. I worship the same Gods that they do, I just approach them differently.

At any rate, terming a faith/practice as a revival implies that it did not go regionally extinct and there were enough surviving embers remaining to coax it back. It's right there in the etymology of the word revival.

I suppose the question is, then, did Classical Heathenism go truly extinct? I've read reports from Iceland that a significant percent of the population either does believe, or is not willing to disbelieve in the alfar. Apparently they even plan road construction around alfar homes and sacred sites. The Old Gods essentially survived through folklore and landmarks such as "Thor's Mountain", cultural festivals and superstitions, etc.

I don't know what anthropologists would say, but to me that seems like embers enough.

This is incompatible with recons. Reconstructed faiths/practices, at least all of the ones I am currently aware of, are pieced together from whatever sources are available from regionally extinct faiths/practices.

Because of this, the use of the term revival carries with it the assumption that there is a certain level of fidelity to the original that recons cannot manage due to lack of a sufficient quantity and variety of first-hand, reliable sources.

This does throw a wrench in it all, but I would then imagine that there could never truly be a "revival" Pagan religion; they all essentially were reduced to "folk superstition" in the same fashion and degree.

However a thought; Paganism was reconstructed in the early 20th Century, yes? I do know that Wicca had it's start in the '50s, and Asatru was founded in '69. Would that not constitute as revival from prior reconstruction? Or would it even work like that?

Indigenous does not mean "so generalized across such a vast area as to be basically meaningless". Well, it does in the sense that you're using it, which is unfortunate.

If it reads like that, such is not my intent. I'm attempting to use "indigenous" as the beliefs "of the earliest kind" for that region and time. I don't know of any Northern gods before the Norse/Germanic Gods in that region, so to my understanding they were the first there. I hesitate to use "Native" as that one seems to be more flexible and updating (e.g. I am technically a native America, despite not being indigenous.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:26:41 pm by TheRaginPagan »

Tags: