Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pseudoscience a theory I saw today  (Read 12088 times)

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
a theory I saw today
« on: September 17, 2011, 11:15:47 am »
Okay so I was watching the history channle today, and I was watching something really interesting. It was about hyrbrid creatures such as half dog half cat etc. The theory said that aliens brought down these creatures to earth. It showed like dragons and said they  were creatated by aliens. I can't really wrap my head around that lol. What are your views on this?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:16:48 am by SunflowerP »

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: a theory I saw today
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 11:47:36 am »
Quote from: addy;20614
Okay so I was watching the history channle today, and I was watching something really interesting. It was about hyrbrid creatures such as half dog half cat etc. The theory said that aliens brought down these creatures to earth. It showed like dragons and said they  were creatated by aliens. I can't really wrap my head around that lol. What are your views on this?

That the History Channel is stooping to new lows for ratings?

Brina

Mata

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:50:59 am »
Quote from: yewberry;20617

Brina

Beat me to it! THC (wow, that is ironic lol) is really setting the bar pretty damn low. Last time I really watched it they were talked about Revelations and how Nostradamus supports it, or something. My brain started melting so I had to change the channel.
" For this feeling of wonder shows that you are a philosopher, since wonder is the only beginning of philosophy..." - Socrates to Theaetetus.
Find me on Goodreads here

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 12:19:12 pm »
Agreed lol, the history channle has crazy things aha xD

Valdi

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 02:30:46 pm »
Quote from: addy;20614
What are your views on this?

THC is making a fool of itself.
I guess they took "dumbing it down for the masses" to mean "go crazy and suggest anything without any research!".

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 03:24:51 pm »
Quote from: Valdi;20640
THC is making a fool of itself.
I guess they took "dumbing it down for the masses" to mean "go crazy and suggest anything without any research!".

All of them are getting dumber and dumber with their programming. Discovery has been playing up the fear card with a lot of their shows.  For example they had an hour long special on a "man-eating super snake" that could be bread in Florida due to African Rock pythons and Burmese pythons.   They were saying the offspring would be larger, meaner, and potentially go after humans.  Well what they left out is that these two species have already been cross-bread in captivity and the result has always been a smaller, more docile hybrid.  

Discovery, Animal Planet, TLC, History Channel have ALL gone way downhill and are barely educational anymore.  Too much catering to stupid people..
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 03:26:12 pm »
edit, accidental double post
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:26:35 pm by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Valdi

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 03:39:14 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;20645
Discovery, Animal Planet, TLC, History Channel have ALL gone way downhill and are barely educational anymore.  Too much catering to stupid people..

No wonder I haven't watched the "factual" channels for a while. I have enough people considering me stupid because I believe in deities without watching dumb TV, too. Shame, really, because I loved watching the knowledge channel pack.

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 04:55:17 pm »
Quote from: Valdi;20648
No wonder I haven't watched the "factual" channels for a while. I have enough people considering me stupid because I believe in deities without watching dumb TV, too. Shame, really, because I loved watching the knowledge channel pack.

When they introduced the Sarah Palin nature show is when I was completely and utterly revolted and damn near stopped watching all their networks.  I mean really, a woman who signs the ok for shooting wolves from helicopters and these programming idiots want to hear her idiotic ramblings?  Too much programming is just about sensationalism and greed.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 05:51:15 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;20617

That's my first thought.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 08:31:26 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;20655
When they introduced the Sarah Palin nature show is when I was completely and utterly revolted and damn near stopped watching all their networks.  I mean really, a woman who signs the ok for shooting wolves from helicopters and these programming idiots want to hear her idiotic ramblings?  Too much programming is just about sensationalism and greed.

To be fair, that only applies to the Discovery Networks (the Sarah Palin show was on TLC).  THC is more closely affiliated with A&E and Lifetime.  NatGeo is, I think, owned by News Corp.

Oddly, NatGeo is probably the only one that bothers to fact-check.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 08:34:43 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;20680
To be fair, that only applies to the Discovery Networks (the Sarah Palin show was on TLC).  THC is more closely affiliated with A&E and Lifetime.  NatGeo is, I think, owned by News Corp.

Oddly, NatGeo is probably the only one that bothers to fact-check.

I could have sworn Discovery, Animal Planet, and TLC were all owned by Discovery. :confused:

But yes, NatGeo does seem to be a bit better, and the fact that NewsCorp owns them just blows my mind.  Although I have heard the News side of the company is drasically different from the other aspects of it, such as the movie side..

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 08:47:33 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;20682
I could have sworn Discovery, Animal Planet, and TLC were all owned by Discovery. :confused:

They are, but your post sounded like you were lumping all of the stations (including THC + affiliates and NatGeo) together when only Discovery (and other channels with "Discovery" in it's name), Animal Planet, and TLC are affiliated.

Now that I think about it, The Science Channel seems to be well researched.  Investigation Discovery is also pretty good if you are interested in true crime stories (or at least it's better than that abomination once known as Court TV).  Heck, you can say what you want about the regular Discovery Channel but at least it's a step better than THC.

But yes, NatGeo does seem to be a bit better, and the fact that NewsCorp owns them just blows my mind.  Although I have heard the News side of the company is drasically different from the other aspects of it, such as the movie side..

Just look at the difference between Fox News and Fox Broadcasting and/or FX.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 08:50:38 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;20686

Just look at the difference between Fox News and Fox Broadcasting and/or FX.

No doubt.  Those two stations are polar opposites to me.  I HATE Fox News, but FX has some of my favorite shows.

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 10:44:39 pm »
Agreed with you all! and I am pretty sure aliens dont care about our species lol I changed the channle guy was like "aliens came down to earth, obeserved it, took two animals made a hyrbid and brought it back to earth." I was like okay lol I had enough of this today.

Tags: