collapse

Author Topic: Pseudoscience a theory I saw today  (Read 12406 times)

SerpentineSorcerer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://abracadabra-macabre.tumblr.com/
Re: a theory I saw today
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 10:08:05 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;72785
Sorry, guys, but this is utterly true.

Here's evidence.

Evidence.

Believe the science!

I need to stop drinking when reading this website, lest the cat think i'm possessed and i spray my laptop down.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"

"Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 11:23:12 am »
Quote from: anonymus;124382
Gods once this fully infects national geographic and C.S.I goes off the air what the hell am I supposed watch the Netflix archives will eventually be exhausted as I marathon show after show, I may have to start rationing episodes. I blame the damn "reality" tv craze.

If you're of the opinion there's nothing up to your academic standards on TV, you could read a book?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 10:10:57 pm »
Quote from: Jack;124422
If you're of the opinion there's nothing up to your academic standards on TV, you could read a book?

I guess that's the silver lining more time to catch up on my reading. Let's just hope the public libraries stay funded, along with my best friend, my sister, and an internet connection they're holding my sanity together[mostly exaggeration]

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2013, 10:38:00 pm »
Quote from: anonymus;125151
I guess that's the silver lining more time to catch up on my reading. Let's just hope the public libraries stay funded, along with my best friend, my sister, and an internet connection they're holding my sanity together[mostly exaggeration]

Try http://www.forgottenbooks.org
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 10:12:28 am »
Quote from: mlr52;125152
Try http://www.forgottenbooks.org

Thanks this looks really interesting.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 11:01:53 am »
Quote from: yewberry;20617
That the History Channel is stooping to new lows for ratings?

I'll admit that Ancient Aliens is a guilty pleasure of mine. I infected an astrophysicist friend of mine with the bug too...although I suspect he occasionally rattles his windows with screams of intellectual agony while watching.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 02:30:15 am »
Quote from: Livia Indica;20895
There's plenty of theories that state that aliens seeded the earth and that our gods are just our understanding of them. It's a long held type of theory by many out there. There are even folks who say that Biblical things, like Jacob's ladder, are actually aliens. Weirdness.

Wait, I loved Stargate SG1! Although I'm upset that I couldn't see any of the battle over the Antarctic.....(Too far away from Hawaii, ya know!) :whis:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 07:14:37 pm »
Quote from: Livia Indica;20895
There's plenty of theories that state that aliens seeded the earth and that our gods are just our understanding of them. It's a long held type of theory by many out there. There are even folks who say that Biblical things, like Jacob's ladder, are actually aliens. Weirdness.

Well, there is a certain amount of plausibility ....
I've often wondered what would happen if we found out that some alien race really did seed life on Earth ....
What would we say to each other if we met them now?
With an extra billion years of evolution under their belts, they would be like gods to us ...
And we would barely even be bacteria to them; just the result of an experiment their ancestors did a long time ago

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »
Quote from: Dragonoake;136213
Well, there is a certain amount of plausibility ....
I've often wondered what would happen if we found out that some alien race really did seed life on Earth ....
What would we say to each other if we met them now?
With an extra billion years of evolution under their belts, they would be like gods to us ...
And we would barely even be bacteria to them; just the result of an experiment their ancestors did a long time ago

Well, that assumes that their evolution tracks with ours, as does their technology.  It's also entirely possible they'd've died out or stagnated in the meantime.

And .. really, while it's interesting from a scientific perspective where the organic molecules that started reproducing are started, from a religious standpoint it seems kinda moot.  We exist and we are here - whether the first bacteria were here or elsewhere and seeded here just moves the original *point of creation* - it doesn't CHANGE it.

Now, if they seeded the planet expecting specific results and have been watching/influencing, THAT would be far more interesting.  But unlikely. :)

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 08:32:54 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;136215
Well, that assumes that their evolution tracks with ours, as does their technology.  It's also entirely possible they'd've died out or stagnated in the meantime.

True, but if they've died out in the past few million years, we'd be unlikely to meet them .... :whis:

And .. really, while it's interesting from a scientific perspective where the organic molecules that started reproducing are started

It would answer some questions about the evolution of virii

from a religious standpoint it seems kinda moot.:)

To shamelessly distort the words of Carl Sagan: Religion is all about extraordinary claims.

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 08:56:24 pm »
Quote from: addy;20614
Okay so I was watching the history channle today, and I was watching something really interesting. It was about hyrbrid creatures such as half dog half cat etc. The theory said that aliens brought down these creatures to earth. It showed like dragons and said they  were creatated by aliens. I can't really wrap my head around that lol. What are your views on this?

*reads*

*slowly backs out of thread using Jack as a shield*
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Tags: