Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Brexit!  (Read 6297 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Brexit!
« on: June 29, 2016, 07:41:58 pm »
What?! No Brexit thread yet?? Brits, I need to know what you think! Will there even be a UK as we know it a year or two from now? An EU? Enquiring American minds want to know!

(Tom asked about it in this thread here, but I figured it merited its own.)

My take: If there's a silver lining, it's that this is a wake-up call to all those who have been saying that President Trump can never happen. It most certainly can--but it won't, if we work hard enough to make sure it doesn't.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 07:53:50 pm »
Quote from: Altair;193297
What?! No Brexit thread yet?? Brits, I need to know what you think! Will there even be a UK as we know it a year or two from now? An EU? Enquiring American minds want to know!

My take: If there's a silver lining, it's that this is a wake-up call to all those who have been saying that President Trump can never happen. It most certainly can--but it won't, if we work hard enough to make sure it doesn't.

I am devastated, heartbroken, furious, exhausted, nauseated, frightened.

Racist and xenophobic hate crime reports have gone up 57% since the referendum, The economy is tanking, the government has collapsed, I can't even.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 07:54:39 pm by Sarah »
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:31:45 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;193300

Racist and xenophobic hate crime reports have gone up 57% since the referendum, The economy is tanking, the government has collapsed, I can't even.

I'm really sorry, Jake.

I guess the fact that the Brexit debacle might--*might*--help stave off a Trump presidency here in the States is cold comfort.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 04:28:27 am »
Quote from: Jake_;193300

Pretty much all of this. I'm shocked and frightened and in pain. I'm praying that Nicola Sturgeon will call for a second referendum on Independence.

I know both Scotland and Northern Ireland are talking about breaking away since both voted heavily in favour of remaining.

At this point, my country has been hijacked by men that none of us voted for and being dragged out of a union against our will. It's horrifying.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 07:37:35 am »

I was with the majority of the population of the UK who voted. The EU was "sold" to the British public as a trading club.  I do not wish to be a member of a federal Europe which is the way it is going.

Immigration is a side issue ( although the one that the media concentrates on)  and had no bearing on my vote. Britain has always, quite rightly, welcomed immigrants and they are in fact a vital part of the British economy as with our ageing population we need an influx of younger people of working age.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 12:53:51 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;193313
I was with the majority of the population of the UK who voted. The EU was "sold" to the British public as a trading club.  I do not wish to be a member of a federal Europe which is the way it is going.

Immigration is a side issue ( although the one that the media concentrates on)  and had no bearing on my vote. Britain has always, quite rightly, welcomed immigrants and they are in fact a vital part of the British economy as with our ageing population we need an influx of younger people of working age.

Interesting to hear from the other side.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 12:56:36 pm »
Brexit

And now, this...

Boris Johnson Won’t Seek to Lead Britain

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/world/europe/britain-conservative-party.html

Not that I wanted to see this guy as PM--I hear he's something of a buffoon--but honestly, he throws a grenade to blow everything up, and then runs away and won't take responsibility for cleaning up the mess? Lame.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 05:13:49 pm »
Quote from: Altair;193319
And now, this...

Boris Johnson Won’t Seek to Lead Britain

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/world/europe/britain-conservative-party.html

Not that I wanted to see this guy as PM--I hear he's something of a buffoon--but honestly, he throws a grenade to blow everything up, and then runs away and won't take responsibility for cleaning up the mess? Lame.

He wants someone else to burn their career, so he can swan in again in 2019 and become PM. I'm disgusted with the whole farce. Don't even get me started on Farage. His speech at the EP made me want to strangle him.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 06:07:09 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;193313

TBH, I was always under the impression that the UK (or at least the government didn't) never really considered itself truly part of the EU in some sense, judging from the fact that it has opted out of several things already, most significantly the Euro. So as an outsider, I'm not surprised at the result, but I do feel a lot for my friends who are going to be very deeply affected by if the UK does leave the EU.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 06:16:07 pm »

Not in the UK, but a neighbour closely tied to it!
There's a lot of uncertainty here about the future of Northern Ireland and how the free travel across the border currently will be affected. We don't want any potential violence breaking out if a re-unification was suggested too :(
So many of my Scottish friends are terrified about how it will affect them staying here long-term and my best friend is also concerned as she is moving to Scotland to be with her Scottish partner shortly.
It's already looking like university fees for non-uk students could triple in some institutes :/
All in all, a huge shock to everyone I think.
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 07:38:15 pm »

I have two hopes: First, that the UK Parliament will end up rejecting the result -- as far as I can tell nothing setting up the referendum actually made its results legally binding, but I'm certainly no expert on British constitutional law.  Second, that this serves as a wake-up call to the rest of Europe and results in some real reform to the EU government before more countries vote to pull out.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 10:32:06 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;193320
Don't even get me started on Farage. His speech at the EP made me want to strangle him.

What about his victory speech the night of the Brexit vote?

"And we will have done it [upended Britain's place in the EU]...without a single bullet being fired..."

Um...

Labour MP Jo Cox dies after being shot and stabbed
Man, 52, arrested amid reports suspect shouted ‘Britain first’

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/16/labour-mp-jo-cox-shot-in-west-yorkshire
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:32:51 pm by Altair »

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 04:28:24 am »
Quote from: RandallS;193326
I have two hopes: First, that the UK Parliament will end up rejecting the result -- as far as I can tell nothing setting up the referendum actually made its results legally binding, but I'm certainly no expert on British constitutional law.  Second, that this serves as a wake-up call to the rest of Europe and results in some real reform to the EU government before more countries vote to pull out.

If they do that then that's the first nail in the coffin of democracy.

It isn't a popular result in the pagansphere or amongst the chattering classes but it IS the verdict of the majority of the British public who voted. To ignore that is a very slippery slope indeed.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 05:34:22 am »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;193335

It isn't a popular result in the pagansphere or amongst the chattering classes but it IS the verdict of the majority of the British public who voted. To ignore that is a very slippery slope indeed.

First nail? Supposedly democratic governments have been ignoring what people actually want for .... probably since forever. If there is a slippery slope, we are way down it already.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 08:36:30 am »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;193335

Yeah, probably not a good idea.

It isn't a popular result ... amongst the chattering classes

Well *that* didn't drip with condescension.

My attitude is that the UK will now get what it voted for (just as the US got what it deserved after it re-elected George W. Bush). Its standing in world affairs will be greatly diminished, its economy will suffer greatly (the EU will not be forgiving), and the bill of goods you got sold will evaporate like a mirage. ("Money will pour into the NHS!" Yeah, the Brexit leaders are already admitting that was a lie.)

Assuming there is a UK as we know it for very much longer. Northern Ireland may join with the rest of Ireland (actually, that's an outcome that's long overdue), and Scotland now more than every may go its separate way.

Are these the results you desired?

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 185
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal