Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Brexit!  (Read 6296 times)

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
Re: Brexit!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 12:03:30 pm »
Quote from: Yei;193336
First nail? Supposedly democratic governments have been ignoring what people actually want for .... probably since forever. If there is a slippery slope, we are way down it already.

This would be the first time in the UK that a single issue unequivocal  yes/no vote  would be ignored. We are all used to politicians being "economical with the truth" and breaking election promises.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 12:17:11 pm »
Quote from: Altair;193338

Well *that* didn't drip with condescension.  

It wasn't meant to. But yes I have little time for celebrities. politicians and media types who live in a gilded cocoon and neither know nor care about what the average person thinks feels and goes through in daily life.

Quote from: Altair;193338

My attitude is that the UK will now get what it voted for (just as the US got what it deserved after it re-elected George W. Bush). Its standing in world affairs will be greatly diminished, its economy will suffer greatly (the EU will not be forgiving), and the bill of goods you got sold will evaporate like a mirage. ("Money will pour into the NHS!" Yeah, the Brexit leaders are already admitting that was a lie.)

Assuming there is a UK as we know it for very much longer. Northern Ireland may join with the rest of Ireland (actually, that's an outcome that's long overdue), and Scotland now more than every may go its separate way.

Are these the results you desired?

There was a huge media fuss about the UK stock market collapsing the day that the referendum result was announced. In fact it closed at a HIGHER level than it was at the same time a week earlier. Was this reported? No.

I do not believe for one moment that trade will be badly damaged. The lower £ is actually hugely beneficial for our exports - they are much cheaper than they were and the EU countries themselves will continue to trade with us. There has already been a lot of back tracking on the initial hard stance. They have a lot to lose themselves. We will probably end up with an EFTA type arrangement.

May be an academic point anyway. I do not see the EU surviving in it's current form. This has blown the cracks in it wide open and exposed the festering core.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 12:19:12 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;193335
If they do that then that's the first nail in the coffin of democracy.

It isn't a popular result in the pagansphere or amongst the chattering classes but it IS the verdict of the majority of the British public who voted. To ignore that is a very slippery slope indeed.

Fiddlesticks. Farage had said that, if he lost by such a small gap, he would agitate for a revote. The other side can do the same.

Let's get things Godwinned (Godwon?) cinematically, shall we?

'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 02:43:07 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;193344
Fiddlesticks. Farage had said that, if he lost by such a small gap, he would agitate for a revote. The other side can do the same.

Thank you for the warning, I had time to put down my tea.

proper Godwinning.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 02:52:52 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;193343

There was a huge media fuss about the UK stock market collapsing the day that the referendum result was announced. In fact it closed at a HIGHER level than it was at the same time a week earlier. Was this reported? No.

I do not believe for one moment that trade will be badly damaged. The lower £ is actually hugely beneficial for our exports - they are much cheaper than they were and the EU countries themselves will continue to trade with us. There has already been a lot of back tracking on the initial hard stance. They have a lot to lose themselves. We will probably end up with an EFTA type arrangement.

May be an academic point anyway. I do not see the EU surviving in it's current form. This has blown the cracks in it wide open and exposed the festering core.

These seem like fair points. I'm not convinced, but as a Yank and latecomer to this issue, I don't know enough about the situation--which is why I asked for opinions. I'll leave it to your "Remain" countrymen to debate for the other side.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 05:08:02 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;193342
This would be the first time in the UK that a single issue unequivocal  yes/no vote  would be ignored. We are all used to politicians being "economical with the truth" and breaking election promises.

You mean other than the Scottish Devolution Referendum in 1979?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 07:08:16 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;193344

In this case 'Godwinned' translates to, 'Oh my god, it's full of Win!'

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 10:14:12 pm »
Quote from: Altair;193297
What?! No Brexit thread yet?? Brits, I need to know what you think! Will there even be a UK as we know it a year or two from now? An EU? Enquiring American minds want to know!

(Tom asked about it in this thread here, but I figured it merited its own.)

My take: If there's a silver lining, it's that this is a wake-up call to all those who have been saying that President Trump can never happen. It most certainly can--but it won't, if we work hard enough to make sure it doesn't.

There was a time when Brexit would have thrilled me, but now I'm left cold. I worry for the monarchy.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2016, 06:48:19 am »
Quote from: Castus;193362

I worry for the monarchy.

Seriously? Of all the things to worry about with Brexit, yea or nay, this seems the most irrelevant and of least concern. In fact, I haven't heard it voiced until now. What's to worry about?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 07:24:59 am »
Quote from: Altair;193376
In fact, I haven't heard it voiced until now. What's to worry about?

I personally don't see much to worry about. In fact, this is the first I've heard anyone mention the monarchy in all of this. I don't see whether the UK is in the EU or not in the EU having much effect on the UK monarchy.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2016, 11:40:35 am »
Quote from: Altair;193297
If there's a silver lining, it's that this is a wake-up call to all those who have been saying that President Trump can never happen.

I hope you're right there, I sincerely do!

Quote from: Jake_;193300
I am devastated, heartbroken, furious, exhausted, nauseated, frightened.

Racist and xenophobic hate crime reports have gone up 57% since the referendum

I concur, and I suspect that that statistic might have increased even more since you posted that comment, sadly.

Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;193313
Immigration is a side issue ( although the one that the media concentrates on)

Unfortunately, I strongly believe it was not considered a side issue by the vast majority of those who voted in favour of leaving, I believe it was the main issue (thanks in large part to some of our entirely biased media).  I'm ashamed to say I've got a large number of friends/acquaintances who never, ever normally get off their backsides & vote in local/general elections but they certainly got off them & voted in the referendum solely because they're fed up with immigration (and evidently still hold some of the mildly racist views they inherited unquestioningly from their parents) and that's what I see happened nationally.

Quote from: Altair;193319
And now, this...

Boris Johnson Won’t Seek to Lead Britain

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/world/europe/britain-conservative-party.html

Not that I wanted to see this guy as PM--I hear he's something of a buffoon--but honestly, he throws a grenade to blow everything up, and then runs away and won't take responsibility for cleaning up the mess?

I feel the same way about Cameron, especially now that he's abandoned us to May.  As for Johnson, he plays the buffoon, but I suspect he may be a little smarter than he likes to let on, or else he's got someone smarter pulling his strings.  Yes, as someone said, he's simply waiting for another go-round and then he'll make his move.  I hope the British public see through him at that time.

Quote from: RandallS;193326
I have two hopes: First, that the UK Parliament will end up rejecting the result -- as far as I can tell nothing setting up the referendum actually made its results legally binding, but I'm certainly no expert on British constitutional law.

No can do, as I understand it.  Or rather, they wouldn't dare.

Quote from: Yei;193336
First nail? Supposedly democratic governments have been ignoring what people actually want for .... probably since forever. If there is a slippery slope, we are way down it already.

I agree with you, particularly this particular Tory government we're still stuck with here in the UK, but not on this particular issue they won't, the turnout was too great and it was far too widely publicised world-round.

For good or for ill, we're Brexiting - I just hope they see some sense at last and cut it out with the d*mned austerity measures, and start actually providing some funding to the police once again.  And please let this British Bill of Rights not be yet another piece of Tory ...work.  I told my husband already to expect me to be attending way more protest marches and demonstrations than ever before over the next few years.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2016, 03:45:35 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;193377
I personally don't see much to worry about. In fact, this is the first I've heard anyone mention the monarchy in all of this. I don't see whether the UK is in the EU or not in the EU having much effect on the UK monarchy.

If Scotland leaves the Union, I'm concerned that -- despite what I believe to be SNP party line -- the monarchy will end up being abolished there. Republicanism and Scottish nationalism have a cosy relationship.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2016, 04:54:19 pm »
Quote from: Castus;193968
If Scotland leaves the Union, I'm concerned that -- despite what I believe to be SNP party line -- the monarchy will end up being abolished there. Republicanism and Scottish nationalism have a cosy relationship.
How tragic that the Scots would want to democratically remove themselves from under an English figurehead.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 09:49:10 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;193970
How tragic that the Scots would want to democratically remove themselves from under an English figurehead.

Quite.

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 04:46:10 pm »

Quite.

Brexit is a misery for Europe.

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 204
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal