Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: In search of non-religious witchcraft mentors  (Read 1595 times)

Blu3Wanderer

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
In search of non-religious witchcraft mentors
« on: June 26, 2016, 05:22:34 pm »
Hi there! I was raised strictly under Christian (Southern Baptist denomination) doctrine. I have now taken a two-year break from religion to clear my soul and heal.
I have decided that deity worship does not suit me, and have taken up interest in "traditional witchcraft", not wicca. I am in my very beginning stages of discovery however, and I would highly appreciate any good sources of information and more so a guiding source of information!

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: In search of non-religious witchcraft mentors
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 05:37:57 pm »
Quote from: Blu3Wanderer;193211
Hi there! I was raised strictly under Christian (Southern Baptist denomination) doctrine. I have now taken a two-year break from religion to clear my soul and heal.
I have decided that deity worship does not suit me, and have taken up interest in "traditional witchcraft", not wicca. I am in my very beginning stages of discovery however, and I would highly appreciate any good sources of information and more so a guiding source of information!

heya.

Can you give us more information on what you consider "traditional witchcraft"?
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Blu3Wanderer

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 06:03:20 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;193212
heya.

Can you give us more information on what you consider "traditional witchcraft"?

I think it's better stated as independent witchcraft. I've read so much at this point I feel really confused

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 06:24:39 pm »
Quote from: Blu3Wanderer;193214
I think it's better stated as independent witchcraft. I've read so much at this point I feel really confused

What kinds of things have you looked at so far that interest you?

(That will help people make better suggestions: there's such vast range of approaches to witchcraft out there...)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Blu3Wanderer

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 10:39:12 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;193218
What kinds of things have you looked at so far that interest you?

(That will help people make better suggestions: there's such vast range of approaches to witchcraft out there...)

The traditional (not Traditional as in Gardenerian or Alexander- based) British craft. I believe it also falls into the "kitchen" or "folk" variety, correct? I have read your essay on the three types of magic, I am most interested in the magic in my immediate surroundings and magic that intersects magic.
On a side note, as a child I had extremely potent dreams and visions that served as warnings. The ability to "read" a person, look into the traumas they have suffered, read their intents, literally feel their pains, and make very close estimations of their personalities  has followed me into adulthood.
Within the Christian faith, many labeled me as a prophet. That label is rather haughty to me, as well as extremely burdensome. However, I miss that connection and the insight that it brought to me. It served as my protection...
I'm sorry that kind of spilled out. But maybe that explains what I am looking for, a source in which my natural tendencies can be practiced, controlled and improved without a deity trust issue.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 12:04:55 am »
Quote from: Blu3Wanderer;193224
The traditional (not Traditional as in Gardenerian or Alexander- based) British craft. I believe it also falls into the "kitchen" or "folk" variety, correct? I have read your essay on the three types of magic, I am most interested in the magic in my immediate surroundings and magic that intersects magic.
On a side note, as a child I had extremely potent dreams and visions that served as warnings. The ability to "read" a person, look into the traumas they have suffered, read their intents, literally feel their pains, and make very close estimations of their personalities  has followed me into adulthood.
Within the Christian faith, many labeled me as a prophet. That label is rather haughty to me, as well as extremely burdensome. However, I miss that connection and the insight that it brought to me. It served as my protection...
I'm sorry that kind of spilled out. But maybe that explains what I am looking for, a source in which my natural tendencies can be practiced, controlled and improved without a deity trust issue.

'Traditional Witchcraft', as people have already pointed out, is a bit of a broad term. While I have definitely seen the term applied to folk magic paths, I've also seen it applied to Sabbatic craft practices as well.

In any case, if it's non-deity based magic that you're after, you can just start reading and practising. Lord knows there's a million spellbooks out there. Try it out, see if you like it. You won't find out what you're good at or what you suck at without experimentation.

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 02:29:04 am »
Quote from: Blu3Wanderer;193211

From your earlier responses, it seems that you are interested in what many call green witchcraft-forgive me if I'm wrong.

I explored that a little at the beginning of my path. I really wanted to work as a green witch, but it's truly not my thing. I did happen upon Melusine Draco's books for Kindle on Amazon. They are inexpensive, but seem to be well written. She identifies as a traditional witch and is based in the UK. Good luck on your journey!
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 05:36:19 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;193228
'Traditional Witchcraft', as people have already pointed out, is a bit of a broad term. While I have definitely seen the term applied to folk magic paths, I've also seen it applied to Sabbatic craft practices as well.

Yes, and it's also often used for the Cochranist traditions (particularly in the form 'Traditional Initiatory Witchcraft' or TIW).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: