Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Author Topic: Help with Land Spirits?  (Read 2282 times)

Solar Sylvilagus

• View Profile
Help with Land Spirits?
« on: June 26, 2016, 03:03:51 pm »
So, here's my problem. I've recently moved into my grandparents house, temporarily. But back at my house, I have a sort of, and I use this term extremely lightly, "deal" with a land spirit. This "deal" is very simple. I take care of the tree she's connected to, and make a weekly offering to her. The problem is, my altar is still back at my house, and my parents absolutely refuse to let me bring it over to the current house, or set up a temporary alter. Also, it appears despite my best efforts, I have not managed to deal with a parasitic vine that is growing on said tree.

The spirit does not appear angry with me, or even annoyed. Not quite friendly, but neutral. But I do feel bad for going back on my word, even unintentionally, as I am currently not allowed to go back to that house. Is there any way to make it up to her, or smooth things over somehow? I admit, this is mostly for my own peace of mind, but it would be a great help.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Land Spirits?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 05:47:42 pm »
Quote from: Solar Sylvilagus;193207
So, here's my problem. I've recently moved into my grandparents house, temporarily. But back at my house, I have a sort of, and I use this term extremely lightly, "deal" with a land spirit. This "deal" is very simple. I take care of the tree she's connected to, and make a weekly offering to her. The problem is, my altar is still back at my house, and my parents absolutely refuse to let me bring it over to the current house, or set up a temporary alter. Also, it appears despite my best efforts, I have not managed to deal with a parasitic vine that is growing on said tree.

The spirit does not appear angry with me, or even annoyed. Not quite friendly, but neutral. But I do feel bad for going back on my word, even unintentionally, as I am currently not allowed to go back to that house. Is there any way to make it up to her, or smooth things over somehow? I admit, this is mostly for my own peace of mind, but it would be a great help.

Firstly you could go to a gardening forum to ask about how to get rid of the vine.

Secondly you don't need an altar to make offerings. Or rather I see my whole garden as an altar area/offering area to the land spirits. I think of everything I do for the heath of the garden and it's wildlife as an offering to the land spirits (And also one of my gods, but that's a different discussion)
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 06:23:35 pm »

So, this is why a lot of advice about making ongoing commitments to entitites usually includes an out clause of some kind (because life happens and things come up - if you'd phrased your commitment as 'every week I live here', for example, you wouldn't have the feeling you were not fulfilling your commitments.)

Fortunately, many land spirits are reasonably patient with this kind of human thing, where you have kept the commitment, can't now, but you're not ignoring them, you're really not there at all.

If you're able to return to that site again in the future, you might want to make some simple amends with maybe an offering of additional resources suitable to that plant (this'd depend on the specifies, but might include water, some additives to the soil to help growth, etc.)

Dealing with that vine would also be a great apology offering: if you want advice about the parasitic vine, the Extension Services office in your county can be a great help: the staff there will know your immediate area and can give you great advice. (It looks like the service nearest your listed location even has an online question and answer option.)

In the meantime, you might offer an explanation with a little ritual or other attention to focus it (if you have a guided meditation practice, or do other ritual work where it would fit, that would be a good time, otherwise just finding a quiet time, focusing on that particular tree, and making your explanation mentally or quietly out loud.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

YungMeatRabbit

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 09:46:19 pm »

First, I would follow Jake_'s advice and figure out how to remove that vine.  Then I would suggest making a few extra offerings to the land spirit and asking for some kind of sign to see if she's angry at you.  I she is, try to figure out some way to make it up to her.  If not, then just keep doing what you're doing.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 07:31:04 pm »
despite my best efforts, I have not managed to deal with a parasitic vine that is growing on said tree.

[I did my whole tirade below because I imagine it might be useful for other vines even if it's not bindweed]

Is it bindweed? We have bindweed and I know it's invasive almost literally everywhere. Killex* will take out bindweed without killing everything else. You can get it at Walmart or Home Depot, at least in BC, Canada (and if not, there's probably something in another brand with the same chemicals). Also note that if you break it it will root from the pieces, even ones of only 2" length.

Depending on the type of vine, cutting it from the ground might help (followed by pulling up or killing the parts in the ground), so that the upper parts dry out and can be removed. On the other hand, if it's rooted into the tree, this might make it attack worse.

*I am aware that someone(s) will probably get on me for using herbicides, but with bindweed and similar, it's pretty much the only way. You can tear them up by the roots, but they run deep underground and most likely will just snap, then grow upward again. 'Natural' solutions like vinegar or salt, as well as not working as strongly, will have an effect on species they aren't meant to target (also seriously don't salt your ground), and vinegar won't suck down and kill the roots the way a fitting topical herbicide will. Plus, you can pick herbicides that degrade and neutralize within a short time, rather than permanently poisoning your ground.

xGypsy13x

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 01:25:55 pm »

have you thought about setting up a portable alter? i did this for a while in my travels, something that could easily be put in a back pack or hidden somewhere.

Tags: