Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Hello there!  (Read 691 times)

xAyla

• View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Hello there!
« on: June 25, 2016, 10:53:08 pm »
I've been quietly poking around in this forum for over half a year now, and I decided that maybe it's time for me to actually introduce myself.

I'm an art student in my early twenties, currently living in New York. I was raised as a Catholic in small town in Europe. Since my early teens, my interest and belief in Catholicism faltered, and in my late teens I found it didn't work for me anymore. Sometimes I still feel guilty because of this, but I know that will fade over time. I've been searching for something that feels right for me since around the time I found TC. I always liked the idea of nature itself being a kind of god or source of energy.

I used to own an incomplete tarot deck when I was under 10 years old, and I've always felt a pull towards divination and tarot, so I recently purchased a tarot deck that I will start using in the next few days. If anyone has any favorite online resources on tarot, or any tips for a beginner like myself, don't hesitate to share :)

Thanks for reading!

(Fun fact: when I was around 7 or 8 years old, I thought I had a connection to a wind god and that I had powers that enabled me to control/manipulate the wind.. which I tried to do.)
"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - Neil Gaiman

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello there!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 11:38:34 am »
Quote from: xAyla;193189
I've been quietly poking around in this forum for over half a year now, and I decided that maybe it's time for me to actually introduce myself.

I'm an art student in my early twenties, currently living in New York. I was raised as a Catholic in small town in Europe. Since my early teens, my interest and belief in Catholicism faltered, and in my late teens I found it didn't work for me anymore. Sometimes I still feel guilty because of this, but I know that will fade over time.

Hello xAyla. I hope, that you will find The Cauldron informative. I have.

I guess that peoples impression of Catholicism very much depend on their geographical surroundings. I live in a predominantly Agnostic and Lutheran environment, and most Catholics I have met were either lecturers at universities or highly educated members of the Dominican or Jesuit religious orders. It is the intellectuals who convert to Catholicism here (the opposite to the French situation, which I find ironical).

In many aspects, I have a very positive impression of Catholicism (especially when it comes to meditation and retreats), though I do not agree with the Catholic church on matters such as abortion, civil unions or contraceptives. I appreciate the French current of esotericism, which, though heretic, is heavily informed by Catholicism.

I always liked the idea of nature itself being a kind of god or source of energy.

That sounds like Pantheism to me. Do you read Ralph Waldo Emerson?

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 01:29:06 pm »

Welcome to TC, xAyla!
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 02:47:08 pm »

I used to own an incomplete tarot deck when I was under 10 years old, and I've always felt a pull towards divination and tarot, so I recently purchased a tarot deck that I will start using in the next few days. If anyone has any favorite online resources on tarot, or any tips for a beginner like myself, don't hesitate to share :)

Welcome to TC!

I'm partial to the Learning the Tarot site. It's a good intro to reading and card meanings.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

xAyla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 11:20:26 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;193190
I guess that peoples impression of Catholicism very much depend on their geographical surroundings. I live in a predominantly Agnostic and Lutheran environment, and most Catholics I have met were either lecturers at universities or highly educated members of the Dominican or Jesuit religious orders. It is the intellectuals who convert to Catholicism here (the opposite to the French situation, which I find ironical).

In many aspects, I have a very positive impression of Catholicism (especially when it comes to meditation and retreats), though I do not agree with the Catholic church on matters such as abortion, civil unions or contraceptives. I appreciate the French current of esotericism, which, though heretic, is heavily informed by Catholicism.

Yes, it's been very informative thus far!

It does seem that one's impression of Catholicism is highly dependent on such factors. I was partially discouraged by my community, where I knew Catholics who would constantly go against the teachings of the church and then try to somehow justify those actions with the Bible.

I also disagree with the Catholic church on those matters, among others. I can see the positive aspects of the religion as you've mentioned, but for me it hasn't felt like the right fit in a while.

Quote from: FraterBenedict;193190
That sounds like Pantheism to me. Do you read Ralph Waldo Emerson?

I know of him, but no, I have never read any of his work.
"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - Neil Gaiman

xAyla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 11:24:13 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;193200
Welcome to TC!

I'm partial to the Learning the Tarot site. It's a good intro to reading and card meanings.

Thank you, it looks like a wonderful resource. I've bookmarked it and will get to reading at least the introduction tomorrow!

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 08:30:25 pm »

I'm an art student in my early twenties, currently living in New York. I was raised as a Catholic in small town in Europe. Since my early teens, my interest and belief in Catholicism faltered, and in my late teens I found it didn't work for me anymore. Sometimes I still feel guilty because of this, but I know that will fade over time. I've been searching for something that feels right for me since around the time I found TC. I always liked the idea of nature itself being a kind of god or source of energy.

Thanks for reading!

(Fun fact: when I was around 7 or 8 years old, I thought I had a connection to a wind god and that I had powers that enabled me to control/manipulate the wind.. which I tried to do.)

AHA! Another artist! What kind of arts are you going to school for? I'm on a leave of absence from school, but will finished my last year eventually, for media arts and animation. Did your wind manipulation work?
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

xAyla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 10:35:01 pm »
Quote from: Voren;193255
AHA! Another artist! What kind of arts are you going to school for? I'm on a leave of absence from school, but will finished my last year eventually, for media arts and animation. Did your wind manipulation work?

That's similar to what I'm doing! My major emphasizes design and multimedia, though I'm focusing mostly on illustration and animation.

At the time, I truly believed that my wind manipulation worked :)

null field

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 06:53:55 am »

You wouldn't be the first person I've heard make such claims. I've had experiences with using wind as a conduit for things or as a healing medium, but never and direct manipulation of it.
 I'd love to hear about any results you may have had. :)

xAyla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 12:44:28 pm »
Quote from: ᚱᛖᛗᛁᛁ ᛖᛚᚣᛁᚱ;193267
You wouldn't be the first person I've heard make such claims. I've had experiences with using wind as a conduit for things or as a healing medium, but never and direct manipulation of it.
 I'd love to hear about any results you may have had. :)

I haven't thought of using wind as a healing medium, but I'll look into it for sure. Focusing on only the wind often helps me with centering and grounding, so I can see how it could be used for healing as well.

I tried making the wind blow harder, or to reduce it to a slight breeze. Sometimes I tried making it blow in a specific direction. To 7 or 8 year old me it worked marvelously, but I think that can be attributed to mere coincidence now ;)

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 08:11:49 pm »
Quote from: xAyla;193260
That's similar to what I'm doing! My major emphasizes design and multimedia, though I'm focusing mostly on illustration and animation.

At the time, I truly believed that my wind manipulation worked :)

Cool beans, man! ^V^
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Egyptian Wicca
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 10:13:56 pm »

Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the forum! Nice to meet you!
Anubisa

Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Tags: