Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Meditation and Magic.  (Read 1407 times)

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: Male
Meditation and Magic.
« on: June 25, 2016, 03:51:11 pm »
I have to be honest on this one, no matter how much it makes me feel weird and awkward.

I have gotten a lot of ppl saying i need to meditate, but i honestly have no idea how you are supposed to fo that, and i mean how to start that, and what its good for.

What are you supposed to think about, if at all?

And how does this effect your energy?

(Pretend i am the biggest idiot on this forum when explaining this, that should not be that hard. LOL No but really keep it simple ;) tjis is kinda my biggest weak spot when it comes to energy work :o )

Thanks and blessings. :ange:

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
Re: Meditation and Magic.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:11:50 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;193179
I have to be honest on this one, no matter how much it makes me feel weird and awkward.

I have gotten a lot of ppl saying i need to meditate, but i honestly have no idea how you are supposed to fo that, and i mean how to start that, and what its good for.

(Pretend i am the biggest idiot on this forum when explaining this, that should not be that hard. LOL No but really keep it simple ;) tjis is kinda my biggest weak spot when it comes to energy work :o )

Meditation, to me, is centering your own energy and power so it can be put to use or controlled. I don't have time for long meditations anymore, but I try to ground and center myself every morning.

To get started, I would suggest doing some breath work. Deep breathing, at least for me, forces my body to relax and creates an awareness of self. You can find many deep breathing exercises on YouTube, but mostly it is relaxing enough to breathe in for a count of six, hold for a count of four, and exhale for a count of six, or some variation of that.

You don't necessarily need to think about anything during meditation, but guided meditations are useful for many people. I've never used them, so I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions there. I focus on centering my energy in the middle of chest and increasing my awareness of my physical body for the most part.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 12:53:37 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;193192
Meditation, to me, is centering your own energy and power so it can be put to use or controlled. I don't have time for long meditations anymore, but I try to ground and center myself every morning.

To get started, I would suggest doing some breath work. Deep breathing, at least for me, forces my body to relax and creates an awareness of self. You can find many deep breathing exercises on YouTube, but mostly it is relaxing enough to breathe in for a count of six, hold for a count of four, and exhale for a count of six, or some variation of that.

You don't necessarily need to think about anything during meditation, but guided meditations are useful for many people. I've never used them, so I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions there. I focus on centering my energy in the middle of chest and increasing my awareness of my physical body for the most part.

I will try, thanks,  might take a while but thats ok. :D:

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 12:58:03 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;193179

This is not so very strange of a question :)

There are many kinds of meditation, and I find that different ones help me at different times.  I would definitely start small, don't try to meditate for 30 minutes at once when you are just learning.  And be very gentle with yourself if you get distracted!  

One of my favorite, and I think the most approachable, styles of meditation is breathwork.  There are a ton of ways to focus on the breath, but the heart of it all is just that:  focus on your breath.  Sit in a way that is comfortable, and let your eyes close.  Then become aware of your breathing.  Let your mind follow your breath, so feel it as it comes into your body, as it travels through your body, and then as it leaves.

There are many variations of this, different ways to focus the breath in your body, or different counts for how long to breath (and if you hold the breath for any time), and you can definitely explore those.  But start with just nice, slow, comfortable breaths (whatever that means for you).  And maybe try 5-10 breaths to start, or however many you can keep focused on.  Then, as you get more comfortable with it, you can add more breaths (it can be useful to make a simple knotted cord to keep track of your breaths instead of trying to count, as counting seems to draw my focus away from my breath).

Another common basic meditation is to take a small object, something you can easily hold in your hand, something simple to start with, and meditate on that.  Some people like to use a candle flame, or a crystal or a ring....or even just a plain circle drawn on paper!  But let your gaze rest on the thing you are meditating on, and then let your eyes drift close, and try to visualize the thing in every detail you can.  Hold the image of it in your mind, for as long as you can.

At first, you may find that you need to look at the object again after a minute or so.  You may only be able to keep the image in your mind for a couple of minutes, and that is fine!  The more you practice, the better you will get.  If you start feeling comfortable with the object you are using and feel like you can hold the image for 5 or ten minutes fairly easily, you can start using more complicated images...or using multiple things at once.

The last one that I find really useful, and was one of the first ways I meditated, even though I didn't know it at the time, is active meditation.  This is where you pick some kind of basic, repetitive act, and you do it, while focusing your mind on your body and it's sensations.  I used to run track in middle school, and during practice we would have to run a lot, and I would find that my mind would naturally still, and sort of go blank after a while.  I still often do this when washing dishes or going walking for exercise.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 01:06:16 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;193194
This is not so very strange of a question :)

There are many kinds of meditation, and I find that different ones help me at different times.  I would definitely start small, don't try to meditate for 30 minutes at once when you are just learning.  And be very gentle with yourself if you get distracted!  

One of my favorite, and I think the most approachable, styles of meditation is breathwork.  There are a ton of ways to focus on the breath, but the heart of it all is just that:  focus on your breath.  Sit in a way that is comfortable, and let your eyes close.  Then become aware of your breathing.  Let your mind follow your breath, so feel it as it comes into your body, as it travels through your body, and then as it leaves.

There are many variations of this, different ways to focus the breath in your body, or different counts for how long to breath (and if you hold the breath for any time), and you can definitely explore those.  But start with just nice, slow, comfortable breaths (whatever that means for you).  And maybe try 5-10 breaths to start, or however many you can keep focused on.  Then, as you get more comfortable with it, you can add more breaths (it can be useful to make a simple knotted cord to keep track of your breaths instead of trying to count, as counting seems to draw my focus away from my breath).

Another common basic meditation is to take a small object, something you can easily hold in your hand, something simple to start with, and meditate on that.  Some people like to use a candle flame, or a crystal or a ring....or even just a plain circle drawn on paper!  But let your gaze rest on the thing you are meditating on, and then let your eyes drift close, and try to visualize the thing in every detail you can.  Hold the image of it in your mind, for as long as you can.

At first, you may find that you need to look at the object again after a minute or so.  You may only be able to keep the image in your mind for a couple of minutes, and that is fine!  The more you practice, the better you will get.  If you start feeling comfortable with the object you are using and feel like you can hold the image for 5 or ten minutes fairly easily, you can start using more complicated images...or using multiple things at once.

The last one that I find really useful, and was one of the first ways I meditated, even though I didn't know it at the time, is active meditation.  This is where you pick some kind of basic, repetitive act, and you do it, while focusing your mind on your body and it's sensations.  I used to run track in middle school, and during practice we would have to run a lot, and I would find that my mind would naturally still, and sort of go blank after a while.  I still often do this when washing dishes or going walking for exercise.

That should help, and i like holding gems and rings so that should help, since i have a ring i always have with me.
Very cool stuff.
Simple but effective. :)

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 01:33:07 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;193196
That should help, and i like holding gems and rings so that should help, since i have a ring i always have with me.
Very cool stuff.
Simple but effective. :)

I just tried it and i feel super weird.
Not bad but just weird.
Saw strains of a weird transparent energy all around me next to the purple energy i always see.

Gonna do this more often. :D:

Plus another thing, but i won't bore with my weird body things. ;)

Tags: