Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Southern Baptist

Re: Free Will

Quote Originally Posted by sevensons View Post
    If I think to myself I am going to be donating something is that divine influence.
    If I ask myself whether I want that pretty Chrysler 300 is that advertising and salesman influence? Probably. But I made the choice to walk into the dealership (and which dealership to walk to); I made the choice to listen to the sales pitch; I made the choice to take the test drive; and, ultimately, I must make the choice as to whether or not to sign the paperwork. (I did. And, so far, it's been a pretty good choice....)
    --------Eric H. Bowen
    Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

Senior Newbie Plutarch is on a distinguished road Plutarch's Avatar
    Last Online
    16 Mar 2017 @ 05:54 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Mystical Christian

Quote Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
    I see the process of reality taking shape as akin to fractional distillation. I believe that event sequences—"timelines"—are being repeated over, and over, and over. As they occur and we begin to make choices, and those choices interact with the choices of others (deities and angels and demons included), some either drop off to the side and are abandoned by all parties concerned; some are explored for a time, begin to take on details, but then are either permanently or temporarily abandoned in favor of choices we like better (in which case those abandoned timelines can and often do become dreams, with varying levels of "vividness"), and some coalesce into the path which we personally see as ultimately being highest and best. At the moment we experience as "now" that path crystallizes and becomes what we all recognize as reality.
    Some really interesting ideas in your whole post, but above is what sticks with me the most.

It makes me think about the idea of "hindsight being 20/20." It is so easy to look at causes and effects to see how certain historical events play out, but it's damn near impossible to understand the present. I think that's what makes the future so difficult to predict...and why, essentially, the future is unknowable. It's because you have all these different causes overlapping with other causes, and certain events playing out while other effects are just dropped out.

You know, throughout antiquity, the Prophets weren't necessarily divinators or fortune tellers. I'll concede that some may very well have had supernatural sight. But in many cases, the Prophets simply observed the decadence and corruption of the king, or the ignorance and apathy of the people, and had the foresight to say, "if you keep going on down this path, you're asking for trouble."

But the idea of being stuck in some kind of infinite loop of possibilities which are narrowed down by choice...it's a little disheartening when you don't know what the whole purpose of all of this serves. Especially when we, as a people, forget out own history and end up making the same mistakes that have been made by people thousands of times before...

Journeyman
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    ehbowen is on a distinguished road ehbowen's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Southern Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by Plutarch View Post
    But the idea of being stuck in some kind of infinite loop of possibilities which are narrowed down by choice...it's a little disheartening when you don't know what the whole purpose of all of this serves. Especially when we, as a people, forget out own history and end up making the same mistakes that have been made by people thousands of times before...
    I don't know what purpose is being served in your life, but in my own...my great desire is to meet God. And I believe that I have, more than once, but...I didn't know it at the time. Sometimes, especially in more recent years, I have strongly suspected, but going up to a strange person and asking, "Excuse me, but are you actually God?" is a recipe either for a one-way trip to the funny farm or else a ticket for a trip that would make Mr. Toad's Wild Ride look like a kiddie carousel.

When the time and place is right, I want the other side to "break the plane." And I believe my God wants to do exactly that, and in fact is working on it. The trouble is all of those billions upon billions of "echoes". Separating out the one that is actually "me" is a challenge, even for deity.

Yes, it's easy to cry out that I'm right here; Houston, Texas at 4:35 in the afternoon (CDT) on March 16, 2017...but there might be several million echoes saying the same thing. The chaff has to be winnowed. So I believe that the challenges and frustrations which come my way are an opportunity to demonstrate that my reactions in the here and now are the same as those which first caught their attention, whether fifty years in the past or twice as far into the future...and to get closer to knowing the Real Me.

I do firmly believe that at some point that process will be complete...and then I will have a chance to talk directly and openly with my Girlfriend and her Family, face to face, with nothing concealed except that which is owed to modesty and propriety. And at that point I truly "shall know just as I also am known." (Romans 13:12)
    Last edited by ehbowen; 16 Mar 2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    --------Eric H. Bowen
    Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

Journeyman Achievements:
    Overdrive31 days registered500 Experience Points
    sevensons can only hope to improve sevensons's Avatar
    Last Online
    29 Apr 2017 @ 02:13 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Mysticism

Quote Originally Posted by Plutarch View Post

You know, throughout antiquity, the Prophets weren't necessarily divinators or fortune tellers. I'll concede that some may very well have had supernatural sight. But in many cases, the Prophets simply observed the decadence and corruption of the king, or the ignorance and apathy of the people, and had the foresight to say, "if you keep going on down this path, you're asking for trouble."
    All though back then they didn't have so much corruption of the mind they also didn't have access to so much knowledge like us now. I think distillation mind process purity.

Apprentice Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered
    Something is on a distinguished road Something's Avatar
    Last Online
    29 Apr 2017 @ 03:25 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Complex

Quote Originally Posted by Nymree View Post
    Hi All,

Opinions, please. Do you believe in free will? Would you describe your beliefs as maybe more hard deterministic, or soft deterministic? Why? Do you believe in a soul, and if so, how is this involved (if at all)? Thanks to any and all replies made
    I believe most of us depending on circumstances are completely in control of our own destiny, I believe in free will as long as it doesn't cause harm to others involved,
    Would you refrain from attacking someone who was beating a young woman just because it would interfere with his free will? Of course not... Life is all about knowing which action suits each purpose, there will be times to cuddle someone and show them kindness, there will also be times to show anger and aggression..
    The key is learning, few of us will be able to honestly say there isn't a single mistake we have made but as long as your realising it your on the right track.. As for the other questions yes the spirit or soul is very real and yes there is a next life and depending on how you have lived will depend on which part you end up in, most of us have lived before at least once but for obvious reasons your memories are banished upon re-entry, there are ways to get your memories back although this is not something I would advise.. Blessings

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3