collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 569 times)

Sea_Stones

Greetings!
« on: June 24, 2016, 10:45:07 am »
Hello everybody! I am very glad to have found this resource.

I am currently exploring paganism and have been seriously curious about it for about a year now. Even before then I almost started feeling a pull towards paganism. All of my prior faith experience was with protestant Christianity, though I feel now and have felt for some time that it isn't for me. I have actually been pretty hesitant to start deeply exploring paganism, mostly because it feels like it feels like a bit of a leap of faith. It is so incredibly different from what I have experienced before, and given the sort of programming I have received for years in my prior church it has been very difficult to explore all that boldly without feeling self-conscious.

I am very lucky, however, in that I have a couple of excellent pagan friends. They have been extremely welcoming and accepting as they help me start to chart a course for myself. I am also lucky that I live really close to Salem, MA, and I know that when I am ready I will find tons of resources there. I am not entirely sure if any of the major paganism branches are right for me, but part of what attracts me to this spiritual practice is how it has the potential to be extremely individual.

Does anybody here have any words of wisdom for somebody who is still in their beginning exploratory stages? I already feel like this will be a very fulfilling thing for me and I am looking forward to seeing where it leads.

Thanks!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 12:55:59 pm »
Quote from: Sea_Stones;193092

Does anybody here have any words of wisdom for somebody who is still in their beginning exploratory stages? I already feel like this will be a very fulfilling thing for me and I am looking forward to seeing where it leads.

Hi! Also in Massachusetts (though closer to Boston than Salem.)

I have a website for intro material on religious witchcraft (including but not limited to Wicca) that people find can be a good starting place in sorting out terms and ideas and other concepts (plus it has a lot of 'books do not talk about this thing, let's see if I can put together some info that answers this question that I keep getting' essays.)

That's at http://gleewood.org/seeking .

In general, though, hanging out here, reading, asking questions if something confuses you or you'd like to learn more about it are great ways to start. There's such a wealth of past posts, if you skim through folders and read ones that look interesting, or do some searches.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 09:47:11 pm »

I am currently exploring paganism and have been seriously curious about it for about a year now. Even before then I almost started feeling a pull towards paganism. All of my prior faith experience was with protestant Christianity, though I feel now and have felt for some time that it isn't for me. I have actually been pretty hesitant to start deeply exploring paganism, mostly because it feels like it feels like a bit of a leap of faith. It is so incredibly different from what I have experienced before, and given the sort of programming I have received for years in my prior church it has been very difficult to explore all that boldly without feeling self-conscious.

I am very lucky, however, in that I have a couple of excellent pagan friends. They have been extremely welcoming and accepting as they help me start to chart a course for myself. I am also lucky that I live really close to Salem, MA, and I know that when I am ready I will find tons of resources there. I am not entirely sure if any of the major paganism branches are right for me, but part of what attracts me to this spiritual practice is how it has the potential to be extremely individual.

Thanks!

Hello!

Research, ask questions, listen and learn :) Glad to have you!
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

null field

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 06:57:18 am »

Thanks!

Hello, I'm new to this forum as well, look forward to interacting with you on it. :)

If you are beginning to explore Paganism, I would suggest taking a look at your heritage(s), and seeing what you can find of the native faiths of that/those lands. I'm of the opinion that people have a stronger connection to the faiths that originate where their blood comes from! If you look up your heritage any find anything interesting in regards to practice or mythos I'd love to hear it :D

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 07:04:35 am »

Thanks!

Welcome!
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 07:10:14 am »
Quote from: ᚱᛖᛗᛁᛁ ᛖᛚᚣᛁᚱ;193135
I'm of the opinion that people have a stronger connection to the faiths that originate where their blood comes from!

That's not true for many people though. It certainly wasn't true for me. I've never felt any connection to the deities and spirits historically worshipped by my ancestors in Ancient Europe. Starting with your heritage isn't a bad idea, it's just you have to accept that it's as likely to lead to a dead end as anything else.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 08:01:00 am »

Welcome to TC!  The best advice ever given to me was to treat religious exploration as  a marathon rather than a sprint - take you time to find what is meaningful and works for you.  

The folks here are a good resource with a fairly broad spectrum of experience and practices.  There's also a Pagan Primer here at TC that has some good beginner information.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 12:03:38 pm »
Quote from: ᚱᛖᛗᛁᛁ ᛖᛚᚣᛁᚱ;193135
I'm of the opinion that people have a stronger connection to the faiths that originate where their blood comes from!

I am of a different opinion. Neither Fornsi∂r nor Lutheranism works for me.

Sea_Stones

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 03:43:45 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;193191
I am of a different opinion. Neither Fornsi∂r nor Lutheranism works for me.

At least in my case I can attest to the latter not working for me.

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody! I hope to learn as much as I am able to.

Tags: